Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default So, how good/bad is this ammo? Western .45 ACP 185 gr semi-wadcutter

Okay, so over the weekend I lucked into a bunch of ammo at a bargain price. I picked up 800 rounds of this:

I've never had ammo like this before. My google-fu (and reading the box ) says this is a Western Super-Match X 185 grain full metal case clean cutting round. I believe this is what is called a semi-wadcutter round, good for target practice and possibly competitive shooting.

Does anyone have any experience with this ammo and wish to share their experience with this less-than-enlightened one?
    --RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: So, how good/bad is this ammo? Western .45 ACP 185 gr semi-wadcutter

not much to add but wad cutter ammo i believe is used for target shooting b/c the flat cut bullet makes a bigger hole... don't know how it works against live targets but for the right price i'm sure it's good range fodder

‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’

— James Earl Jones

(Pike County)

Default Re: So, how good/bad is this ammo? Western .45 ACP 185 gr semi-wadcutter

Red, I am no expert, but those boxes look to be up there in age, and in great condition. That ammo may have some collectors value. You may want to check before firing.

(Susquehanna County)

Western (Winchester) Super-X was the brand the Army used to provide me with back in the days when I was on the 77TH Arcom Pistol Team. What you have could be from a circa 1980s military contract. You should be able to find a lot number somewhere on the cartridge boxes and if it matches the lot number on the steel can, it is.

BTW do not heave the can! They are great for many uses from keeping small parts to using as a soak bath for cleaning pistols!

It is very good ammo, intended strictly for competition shooting (NRA Conventional Pistol aka bullseye). It is NOT a full power load so do not use it for self defense!