Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default AR Noob has questions. Where are all you experts?

Well, I'm picking up my first AR-15 on Friday. I'm trading two of my guns for an Olympic Arms K16. I'm totally new to the EBR world, so naturally I have some questions!

1. Cleaning. Any different procedure/equipment etc than any other gun? AR-15 specific cleaning kits?

2. Sighting. I'm putting this red dot on it:
    http://www.theshootersbox.com/store/...roducts_id=388

Now, I can just pop that on there and use just that for sighting, correct? I've heard of a lot of people that use a red dot and a scope and throw around the word "co-witness". What's that all about? Should I be ok mounting that red dot directly to the rail, or should I go ahead an order a riser since it's kind of a short sight?

3. Ammo. What's the least expensive ammo OTHER THAN bulk I can get in .223 or 5.56? Bulk scares me since if the gun doesn't like the ammo, I'm stuck with a ton of it!

4. Who offers the best bang for the buck in mags? I want to get a ton of them and have them all loaded up before each range trip. The gun only comes with one, and reloading it time after time sounds like it could lead to some serious thumb pain.

I think that's all that comes to mind for now. But of course if you have any other words of advice for an AR-15 newbie, I'm all ears.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: AR Noob has questions. Where are all you experts?

I'm not an expert per say, but I'll try my best.

1. Cleaning. Any different procedure/equipment etc than any other gun? AR-15 specific cleaning kits?
    There is a brush made to help clean the locking lugs, but there is no requirement to use that brush - although it is a little more work without it.

Disassembling the bolt carrier is a simple process, you can find plenty fo you tube videos to help you.

Now, I can just pop that on there and use just that for sighting, correct? I've heard of a lot of people that use a red dot and a scope and throw around the word "co-witness". What's that all about? Should I be ok mounting that red dot directly to the rail, or should I go ahead an order a riser since it's kind of a short sight?
    I'm not all that familiar with the model you bought, if it's flat top - sure you can just mount the sight and sight it in. I'm not sure if you'll be able to co-witness with it or not. Although, my advice would be skip the red dot for now and become proficient with the iron sites first. Besides, you'll want an eotech sight anyway - and they're only a couple hundred more than the one you're looking at.

3. Ammo. What's the least expensive ammo OTHER THAN bulk I can get in .223 or 5.56? Bulk scares me since if the gun doesn't like the ammo, I'm stuck with a ton of it!
    You could shop ar0und, but an AR15 should eat any .223 or 5.56 you give it. Some people hate the Wolf ammo because of the steel casing, but I've never had an issue in any of my ARs with it - and it is by far the cheapest. Is the barrel marked .223 or 5.56? If it's marked 5.56 you're good to shoot either round. If it's marked .223, you may want to reconsider feeding it 5.56.

4. Who offers the best bang for the buck in mags? I want to get a ton of them and have them all loaded up before each range trip. The gun only comes with one, and reloading it time after time sounds like it could lead to some serious thumb pain.
    You can get USGI mags for around $10. I don't particularly like them, though. I'm a big fan of the Magpul polymer magazines, they run $16 - $17. Thermold - another plymer / plastic magazine, you can find at gun shows for $40 for 3 magazines. Otherwise, just hit CheaperThanDirt.com and see what they have.

I use stripper clips and / or the Mag Lula speed loader.

Good luck!
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Skullz View Post
    I'm not an expert per say, but I'll try my best.

There is a brush made to help clean the locking lugs, but there is no requirement to use that brush - although it is a little more work without it.

Disassembling the bolt carrier is a simple process, you can find plenty fo you tube videos to help you.

I'm not all that familiar with the model you bought, if it's flat top - sure you can just mount the sight and sight it in. I'm not sure if you'll be able to co-witness with it or not. Although, my advice would be skip the red dot for now and become proficient with the iron sites first. Besides, you'll want an eotech sight anyway - and they're only a couple hundred more than the one you're looking at.

The gun is a flat top with no sights of any kind.

You could shop ar0und, but an AR15 should eat any .223 or 5.56 you give it. Some people hate the Wolf ammo because of the steel casing, but I've never had an issue in any of my ARs with it - and it is by far the cheapest. Is the barrel marked .223 or 5.56? If it's marked 5.56 you're good to shoot either round. If it's marked .223, you may want to reconsider feeding it 5.56.

It's marked 5.56

You can get USGI mags for around $10. I don't particularly like them, though. I'm a big fan of the Magpul polymer magazines, they run $16 - $17. Thermold - another plymer / plastic magazine, you can find at gun shows for $40 for 3 magazines. Otherwise, just hit CheaperThanDirt.com and see what they have.

I use stripper clips and / or the Mag Lula speed loader.

Good luck!
    Responses to your responses bolded. Thanks for the tips, rep coming.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    Well, I'm picking up my first AR-15 on Friday. I'm trading two of my guns for an Olympic Arms K16. I'm totally new to the EBR world, so naturally I have some questions!

Nope. Clean it just like you would any other rifle. Just follow the instructions in the manual.

You won't have to worry about it if you don't have a front and rear sight. Just put your Ultradot on it, sight in and blast away. The term "co-wittness" refers to using a red dot or holographic sight in conjunction with the iron sights. The electronic sight is usually mounted in front of the carry handle and the dot appears to sit just on top of the front sight post.

My opinion on ammo is one brand is just as good as another unless you're shooting 300 yards or more. At 100 yards you won't notice that much of a difference. Different brands may impact the target at different places but I doubt you'll notice drastic differences in group size at short range.

I think USGI are the cheapest. There's a thread on AR15.com that lists the brands to avoid. Cooper and Sanchez come to mind but I'm not really sure. Most of mine were made by Okay Industries and I haven't had any issues. The plastic mags made my Thermold and Orlite may or may not work. I had a couple of Thermolds that ran flawlessly in my old Bushmaster.

I think that's all that comes to mind for now. But of course if you have any other words of advice for an AR-15 newbie, I'm all ears.

The only other thing I can add is to follow the instructions in the manual regarding barrel break in and enjoy your new EBR.

ON EDIT: I'm no expert nor do I play one on TV.
    Last edited by Karys; October 12th, 2008 at 07:35 PM.

Regarding mags, you can get USGI mags from www.44mag.com they have good service, variety and price.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil but, because of the people who do nothing about them."
    - Albert Einstein

(Allegheny County)

good mag prices:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/A...Magazines.html

including pmags for $14.20 with .01c shipping

there was/is(?) a group buy on mags in the group buy section of the forum.

everyone else pretty much covered the rest.

buy a couple box's of Wolf at a Dick's or Duhnams and if/when they run then order a case. My AR has ate anything and everything I have fed it flawlessly. Last time I cleaned it was after 500 rounds (aprox) of Wolf and it was running fine. They are not as picky or fragile as some would have you think.

(Berks County)

Another question. I might end up wanting to mount the 3-9x40 scope I have laying around. I've heard that with the 40 front objective I would need either super tall rings or a riser of some sort? What do I need as far as rings/riser for that scope? Links more than welcome

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    Another question. I might end up wanting to mount the 3-9x40 scope I have laying around. I've heard that with the 40 front objective I would need either super tall rings or a riser of some sort? What do I need as far as rings/riser for that scope? Links more than welcome
    I used a set of A.R.M.S #22 throw lever rings to mount a Bushnell 10X40 on my AR-10. If you'd rather not spend that kind of money for a set of rings, any set of medium height rings made to fit a Weaver rail should work. Supposedly, the throw lever rings will allow you to remove and reattach the scope without losing your zero. I haven't sighted in my AR-10 yet so I can't comment on how well they work.

http://www.armsmounts.com/catalog.ph...124&item_id=82

(York County)

Cleaning - blow out all the important internals with brake cleaner. Barrel and chamber are as normal, cleaning rod, brush, patches.
    Lube is really important on AR's, you'll want to use a good quality CLP product and run the gun WET especially for the first few 100 rounds.
    Sights - personally, I'd spend the $199 on a set of flip up or BUIS iron sights, what are you going to do if the battery dies or the glass breaks?
    Mags - Magpul PMags all the way, you can get 30 rounders without the window for around $14 each. Most failures with AR's are either lube or mag oriented. Use good mags and keep the gun lubed and you shouldn't have any problems.

(Berks County)

I use this firearm grease instead of oil on my other guns. Any issues using it on the AR? :

http://www.fortune3.com/Bigskyguns/C..._Syringe-.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast