Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Shotgun Shell Reloading

Is it worth getting into reloading bird shot, for skeet? I keep running the numbers and I don't think the numbers work.

Not even taking into account the cost of the press, just looking at the components.

What do you think?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Shotgun Shell Reloading

First I would like to say that ALL reloading is a good thing with the way our country is today. Now let me say that all reloading will seem expensive at first with the initial cost of the equipment as well as suplies. Once you start it will get cheaper and you will not have to rely on commercial ammo. I have found that there is commercial ammo you can get cheaper than you can reload. This is usually temporary. Reloading not only allows you to shoot cheaper, it allows you to shoot better!
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

For 12 and 20 GA you don't save much, except to claim that you recycle. If you shoot 16, 28, or .410 you save a lot. What reloading shot shells does do is let you load a load that fits you and what you want to do. While looking through the Lyman Shotshell manual for 12ga, I've found some very light loads that are fun to shoot, and do save money. You can find 3/4, 7/8 and 1oz. loads that break clays fine. I would not use a light load for hunting, but they are great on clays. When shooting clays with 7 1/2 or smaller shot you can't use a hot load because they open up in the center because the shot is to light. Reload, it's fun.

(York County)

I’d have to agree with shooter357, all reloading is a good thing; even if the end product costs a little bit more than the shelf price. I reload for skeet as well – I shoot 12 gauge, use #8 shot, Red Dot powder, Claybuster wads, and CCI primers. Given the current prices I’m around $4.85 a box…I’ve seen Dick’s or Gander Mountain have some sales that dip a little bit lower than that but for the most part 12 ga #8 shot boxes are around $7. Reloading my own shotgun shells also allows me to tail my load for different purposes, for example I have a very light load that I use for my single shot H&R for Cowboy matches and I have a hotter load for various trap competitions that I need in order for my semi-auto to cycle.
    I hope this helps.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
    Is it worth getting into reloading bird shot, for skeet? I keep running the numbers and I don't think the numbers work.

Not even taking into account the cost of the press, just looking at the components.

What do you think?
    With the current cost of lead shot I'd say no. If it ever drops back to $20 per #25, then I'd say move forward. Today, you can buy 12/20 shot shells cheaper than you can reload, unless you can get the lead for free and make your own shot.
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

I agree, the numbers don't work.

JohnB is right when he said the numbers don't work, cost wise. But reloading is fun and gives someone something to do. As a hobby, it's great.

(Philadelphia County)

I dont know the numbers,but I just pick up a MEG reloader and a LEE LOAD ALL for cheap. So Im going to start reloading for a hobby.

(York County)

I feel that if its something you want to do than just do it. You do save some money , maybe a tiny bit maybe alot but its a great hobby to have. You can custom tune your loads you can start picking up hulls when you do skeet or sporting clays and reload them. I pick up hundreds of hulls when I do a sporting clays course , I look at it as free ammo. I started initially only loading 12 gauge but now I do 12 , 20 , 28 and every single metallic that i shoot as well. You cal also pick up a used loader for pretty cheap. My first shotgun press cost me 30 bucks , it was a mec versamec and you know it's still on my bench and i still use it. Be forwarned it is a very addictive hobby especially if you like to tinker , LOL I almost typed "tinkle" instead of "tinker" hehehe
    Last edited by 40twist; October 15th, 2008 at 08:29 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 40twist View Post
    I feel that if its something you want to do than just do it. You do save some money , maybe a tiny bit maybe alot but its a great hobby to have. You can custom tune your loads you can start picking up hulls when you do skeet or sporting clays and reload them. I pick up hundreds of hulls when I do a sporting clays course , I look at it as free ammo. I started initially only loading 12 gauge but now I do 12 , 20 , 28 and every single metallic that i shoot as well. You cal also pick up a used loader for pretty cheap. My first shotgun press cost me 30 bucks , it was a mec versamec and you know it's still on my bench and i still use it. Be forwarned it is a very addictive hobby especially if you like to tinker , LOL I almost typed "tinkle" instead of "tinker" hehehe
    Maybe when I get set up you could give me some pointers??

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast