Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Shotgun Shell Reloading

One big price change you might see is if you shoot slugs. You can get bulk lead, a mold from Lee and make your own shotgun slugs pretty cheap. This will save you lots over buying from store. But yes, reloading shot size 7 or so is a toss up. But if you are concerned about ever rising cost of metals, buy a hundred pounds of lead shot and store it away. Once prices get too high to buy from store, you will have a stash to work on.

And then you will see 100 lbs is not much at all

(Luzerne County)

And then you will see 100 lbs is not much at all
    Ain't that the truth. I had done the math when I started making shot.
    "I wonder how long this is gonna last."
    I shoot Trap once a week. Four rounds = 100 shells. Using one ounce loads, that 100 pounds lasts four months. If I were a high volume shooter......
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Berks County)

I have a question about picking up spent shells at the range after a shoot.I see alot of guys splitting up the brass shells at the end of the night after the shoot and tossing all the steal capped shells. Can you reload those the same as the brass or is it just a preference???? I've also just got into shooting trap i go out once a week and shoot about 100 a night with my 12 gauge and my oldest son shoots about the same with his 20, he's not to far off from shooting a 12 so that will add up to 200 rounds a week. I've been going to wal-mart to pick up our shells, at $22.00 a box its the best i can find anywhere even online (shipping costs a killer).

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbob77 View Post
    I have a question about picking up spent shells at the range after a shoot.I see alot of guys splitting up the brass shells at the end of the night after the shoot and tossing all the steal capped shells. Can you reload those the same as the brass or is it just a preference???? I've also just got into shooting trap i go out once a week and shoot about 100 a night with my 12 gauge and my oldest son shoots about the same with his 20, he's not to far off from shooting a 12 so that will add up to 200 rounds a week. I've been going to wal-mart to pick up our shells, at $22.00 a box its the best i can find anywhere even online (shipping costs a killer).
    You wont find many truly brass capped shells these days. Most are just plated to look like brass.

And yes, you can load the ones that have steel caps. That cap only serves as a hardened point for the extractor to grip. It doesn't do anything for the structural integrity of the case other than for extraction.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

I've been told that, shy of the old Winchester AA hulls, that Remington Gun Clubs hulls are great for reloading, true?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    I've been told that, shy of the old Winchester AA hulls, that Remington Gun Clubs hulls are great for reloading, true?

No experience with them here.

I do like Winny AA's for 28ga. They can handle the 1oz payloads and hotter charges.

For 12, 16, 20, and .410 - I'll use just about anything.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    No experience with them here.

I do like Winny AA's for 28ga. They can handle the 1oz payloads and hotter charges.

For 12, 16, 20, and .410 - I'll use just about anything.
    I have 12 gauge, the green gun club hulls.

I'm getting closer to reloading, have the Mec 600jr, a auto feeder for the primers, a crap load of hulls. I haven't gotten any shot, powder, wads or primers yet. I need a dedicated spot and a bench but we may be moving soon and I don't want to get all set up and heave to tear in down.

(Luzerne County)

The Remington Gun Club hulls reload nicely. Even better, more durable, are the Remington STS and Nitro hulls.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete D.; June 8th, 2011 at 10:03 PM.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Cambria County)

Bill , do what I did years ago . Mount your press on a 16 x 22 piece of 3/4 plywood with Berber carpeting glued to the bottom . When you want to reload , place on a table or bench and your good to go . Have loaded 10s of thousands of 12 gauge with little problems . It will slide a little but just reposition every couple boxes . ( Use short drywall screws to fasten press to plywood )

A shell stacker is a great accessory to box your shells up .
    Last edited by notenoughguns; June 8th, 2011 at 12:36 PM.
    DAN

(Delaware County)

thanks for the ideas & replies

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast