Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR Build

(Westmoreland County)

Default AR Build

So I've had a box of parts for some time now, and it's time I finally do something with them... Anyone in the Greensburg area have the time, workspace, tools, and patience to assist/instruct me in putting together my AR? Willing to buy someone lunch and a beverage for the help.

Default Re: AR Build

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaCharlie View Post
    So I've had a box of parts for some time now, and it's time I finally do something with them... Anyone in the Greensburg area have the time, workspace, tools, and patience to assist/instruct me in putting together my AR? Willing to buy someone lunch and a beverage for the help.
    Define a box of parts.
    Putting an AR together is far from rocket science ........I've known people who shouldn't be allowed out of their house by themselves put one together without blowing themselves up.
    I'm 2 plus hrs from Greensburg I believe or I'd help

(Westmoreland County)

Box of parts as in: lower, upper, barrel, hand guard, stock, upper/lower parts, etc. I've gathered that it's pretty easy, I just don't have the workspace or tools, and would like someone to assist, should I need help.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaCharlie View Post
    Box of parts as in: lower, upper, barrel, hand guard, stock, upper/lower parts, etc. I've gathered that it's pretty easy, I just don't have the workspace or tools, and would like someone to assist, should I need help.
    Does the "etc" include buffer, buffer spring, buffer tube, gas block, gas tube, barrel nut?

Does upper/lower parts include charging handle, bolt carrier group, sights?

YouTube is your friend. Also, don't be afraid to buy a tool or two because once you build one, you will want to build another, and another, and another...

I built my first one about two years ago. I'm currently buying parts for my fourth build.

They are really easy to build. Don't let the process intimidate you. The tool many overlook buying but should have is a pivot pin tool. The detent/spring on the front/pivot pin on the lower can be a real bitch to install without this $10 tool.

Good luck with your build. If I was closer, I'd offer my assistance.

(Berks County)

I made my barrel nut wrench with hacksaw file and drill with a piece of plate steel and some rivets. I did buy the torque wrench. Harbor freight has coupon sales on them for under 10 dollars. They are good tools, surprisingly. A set of roll pin punches.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Allegheny County)

Here's a very long, but easy to see/follow video.

No need to buy a "tool" for the front pivot pin installation - just drop in the spring and detent, then use a utility knife or razor blade to hold them in while sliding the pivot pin in place, then remove the knife blade, releasing the tension on the detent.

I don't own punches, but I have a shit ton of screwdrivers os various sizes and I've always got one the width of a roll pin that works just fine as a punch. You wouldn't go wrong by picking up a set of punches though.
    An armorers wrench comes in handy too and isn't terribly expensive.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

This one just goes over the LPK install, but it has another simple solution for the front pivot pin install that requires no tool or utility knife.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

The lack of a workspace is probably your biggest hurdle. I can relate. Not have a vice is going to make the barrel install next to impossible. The rest of it, especially the lower you can do just following along with Youtube. That's how I do all of mine.

A good pair of channel locks is all you need for the roll pins and you should not need to borrow this because you should have your own pair anyhow.
    And you can use them for your castle nut.
    A vise can be portable and surely can find a place to mount it just for this job.
    Heck , you could be done by now and out on the range pew pewing to your hearts content....... just get started and come in with questions as they occur.

(Westmoreland County)

I have tools. Live in SW Greensburg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast