Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Changed my carry gun to .....

..... my SP101 (.357 mag) 2.25 inch barrel

Yesterday, I switched my carry gun to a Ruger SP101 in .357 magnum from my Kahr CW9.

The Kahr, my first concealed carry handgun, served me well for a long time and lots of rounds. Then the trigger pin broke one day at the range. I had Kahr repair the gun and have put lots of rounds thru it since, but in the back of my mind I can't get past the trigger pin breaking. Lately I have been having jams with the Kahr too, but I believe that was the ammo I had, Sellier & Bellot "Range Safe Ammo" Basically I have lost faith in the gun, not a good thing.

A while back I bought a Ruger SP101 and love the little gun but hesitated to carry it as it's kind of heavy and only holds 5 rounds. Still every time I go to the range I put a 100 or more rounds thru it, a mix of .38 special and .357 mag.

I've gotten pretty accurate with it, although with the 2.25 inch barrel not as good as the Kahr for slightly greater distances. One thing I have not had with the SP101 is a failure to feed or fire. The SP101 has less things that can go wrong.

I carried my Kahr in a Blade-Tech Ultimate Concealment Holster. I love the holster, I bought one for my Wife's XD9SC as well. So I couple weeks ago I ordered one for the SP101. It came yesterday, so I strapped on the holster and went out with the SP101. Nice, very nice. I have a nice sturdy Beltman gun belt and didn't notice the gun being any heavier. In fact the profile of the gun above the belt line is much smaller and it doesn't dig into my side at all, the Kahr stood higher and did dig a little but not enough to worry about.

I rode my bike to my MC's pig roast yesterday, spent the day chatting and walking around and all was well.

So I now have a new carry gun, and I keep a couple loaded speed loaders in my pocket, hopefully, if the SHTF, 15 rounds of .357 mag will be enough to get me out of trouble.

Default Re: Changed my carry gun to .....

Good stuff SB, looks like that puppy conceals really well for you! Although I usually carry a semi-auto, you surely can't beat the reliability of a .357 revolver, I love my little Taurus.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.- George Washington

"I thought Lycan was a she"-dragonofpa

(Delaware County)

I hope this doesn't come out as being biased but...I was was with you yesterday-married ya know and I couldn't tell that you were carrying. In fact at another time when we were out, I do remember someone asking you if you were packing. I like the fact that NO ONE noticed that you were carrying yesterday.

I love attention, who doesn't, but at a nice event as yesterday, attention given to a firearm is not necessary. You exercised your second ammendment rights, felt comfortable doing so... life is good.

(Pike County)

If it works for ya, go with it. I don't feel unarmed when I carry my 442.

Nice set-up!!!!!!

(Allegheny County)

I would not feel under powered at all with your set up. The 38 and 357 rounds have been doing the job of defense for way longer than I've been alive.

If you were to somehow interview a now deceased criminal that met his demise at the hands of a 38 or 357, I doubt he would be able to tell that those rounds were less than adequate.
    No signature required.

(Allegheny County)

Bill,

Nice pistol and good set up.

As far as the the other gun (Kahr) goes, I believe I read you had almost 5K rounds through it before failure.

I think I replied that ALL mechanical devices can fail.

My Glock 23 broke a rear slide rail during a class. Sent it back to Glock, they fixed it and haven't had another issue (YET).

My Kahr P9 came with a double reset,one of which didn't reset the system. Before I even fired a round, I sent it back to Kahr, they fixed it and I haven't had another issue (YET).

These pistols we use for SD can and will break,hopefully not at a time you critically need it.

Some on this board( and guys I work with)will claim that their choice of pistol is COMPLETELY
    reliable. This is nothing more than wishful thinking and hoping they are correct.

If this pistol gives you the confidence level you need , then it is the best choice. Can it break? You betcha, BUT, until it gives you some indicator of being problematic, carry on.

Since I realize any gun can break at any time (Murphy's law), I carry 2.

One thing to do with a carry revolver (and anyone who carries a revolver can chime in with additional info.), inspect the primer seating of your carry ammo to ensure a high primer won't cause the cylinder to not turn. Perhaps this is not even an issue with factory ammo.

Good luck with the pistol.

Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Pike County)

As 27 says, checking your ammo is always a good idea. When I load anything I check each round for bullet seating, primer (high, backwards, or none), and I shake each round to check for powder.
    A failure of a primary arm is one of the best reasons to ALWAYS carry a BUG.

(Lancaster County)

ive shot that gun
    sig sauer p239 .357 sig DC(open carry for now)
    witness .40s&w
    .22mag/lr revolver
    .22 remington rifle semiauto
    12 ga moss 500 pistol grip(loaded with slug hollow points)[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Clarion County)

I didn't notice a holster.Do you use one?I'm down here in the humidity capital of the country,that gun would stick to me so badly,they'd burry it with me.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast