Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default What is Obama's latest position on concealed weapons?

I was watching the news and they were listing Obama and McCain's positions on topics such as abortion, Iraq, etc.

One of the items that really caught my eye was that they said Obama supports a federal ban on concealed carry permits (and I would guess licence to carry firearms here in PA)

1) I thought he dropped that.
    2) Could he get that done? Most states now have right to carry laws.

animation of carry progress
    If you have not seen this animation, you really need to check it out.

While I like Obama's positions on some things, I am voting against him because of this issue.
    Last edited by Tokamak; October 13th, 2008 at 12:28 AM.
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

(Clarion County)

Default Re: What is Obama's latest position on concealed weapons?

The last thing I heard was from Joe Bidon.The question was brought up at one of the rallys.Bidon said that no,he would not take our guns.Bidon also said he had guns of his own and that was not an issue.There was never any response about carry issues? I surf a little and see if I can find anything.

Biden said that Obama wasn't gonna take your shotguns, from what I remember he didn't mantion anything about handguns. Obama has said he supports "common sense" gun laws, whatever that is.

(Luzerne County)

Early on in the primaries Obamba stated he did not believe in cc and was for reinstating the AWB permanetly. I doubt he has had a change of heart.

(Delaware County)

There is this from Gun Owners of America

Barack Obama's Gun-Related Votes
    The U.S. Senate Debated:
    Obama Voted:
    Supporting concealed carry for citizens 10
    Anti-gun
    Banning many common semi-automatic firearms 11

Anti-gun
    Disallowing self-defense in towns where guns are banned 12

Anti-gun
    Imposing one handgun a month restrictions 13
    Anti-gun
    Requiring lock up your safety trigger locks 14
    Anti-gun
    Protecting gun dealers from frivolous lawsuits 15
    Anti-gun
    Outlawing gun confiscations during a national emergency 16
    Pro-gun
    Squelching the free speech rights of gun owners 17
    Anti-gun
    Restricting the interstate sales of firearms 18
    Anti-gun
    Repealing the gun ban in Washington, DC 19
    Anti-gun

1Associated Press, "Research finds Cheney, Obama distant cousins," October 17, 2007.
    2Ibid.
    3O.Kay Henderson, "Three leading Democrats talk about gun control," Radio Iowa News, April 22, 2007.
    4James Oliphant and Michael J. Higgins, "Court to hear gun case," Chicago Tribune, November 20, 2007.
    5Illinois State Senate, vote on SB 2165 (41-16), May 25, 2004.
    6Obama says, "National legislation will prevent other states' flawed concealed-weapons laws from threatening the safety of Illinois residents." David Mendell, "Democratic hopefuls vary a bit on death penalty," Chicago Tribune, February 20, 2004.
    7See the Gun Owners of America fact sheet at http://www.gunowners.org/fs0404.htm.
    8John Chase, "Keyes, Obama are far apart on guns; Views on assault weapons at odds," Chicago Tribune, September 15, 2004.
    9Senators Chuck Schumer and John Kerry had both cosponsored S. 1431 in 2003, a bill that would have banned any semi-auto shotgun that also contained a pistol grip, which the bill defined as "a grip, a thumbhole stock, or any other characteristic that can function as a grip." According to that definition, just about any semi-automatic shotgun would be banned.
    10See supra note 6.
    11About the so-called "assault weapons" ban, Obama says, "I believe we need to renew -- not roll back -- this common sense gun law." See supra note 8.
    12See supra note 5.
    13As a state senator, "Obama regularly supported gun-control measures, including a ban on semiautomatic 'assault weapons' and a limit on handgun purchases to one a month." "Obama Record May be Gold Mine for Critics," Associated Press, January 17, 2007.
    14On July 28, 2005, Senator Obama voted for a provision requiring gun dealers to include the sale of a lock-up-your-safety device with every handgun sold. The amendment, offered by Sen. Herb Kohl (D-WI), passed by a vote of 70-30. The provision amended the gun makers' protection act (S. 397).
    15On July 29, 2005, Senator Obama voted against S. 397, a bill that was designed to put an end to the frivolous lawsuits that were threatening to put many gun dealers out of business. While an argument could be made that a pro-gun Senator might vote against this bill because it contained a lock-up-your-safety provision (see supra note 14), the fact that Obama voted in favor of that trigger lock amendment (but against the overall bill) indicates his real animus against helping gun dealers protect themselves from the anti-gun lawsuits that were aimed at driving them into bankruptcy.
    16On July 13, 2006, Sen. Obama voted for Emergency Powers language that saw only 16 of the most ardent anti-gun senators vote against it. The amendment provides that no money can be used by federal agents to confiscate firearms during a declared state of emergency. The amendment was added to the Department of Homeland Security appropriations bill (HR 5441).
    17On January 18, 2007, Senator Obama voted against a pro-gun amendment to strike language in S. 1 that would infringe upon the free speech rights of groups like Gun Owners of America. The amendment, which passed, struck requirements that would have required GOA to monitor and report on its communications with its members, and could easily have led to government demands for GOA's membership list (a.k.a. registration).
    18Obama has frequently made statements which indicate that he would restrict the interstate sale of firearms. For example, he told the NAACP that, "We've got to make sure that unscrupulous gun dealers aren't loading up vans and dumping guns in our communities, because we know they're not made in our communities. There aren't any gun manufacturers here, right here in the middle of Detroit." Senator Barack Obama, at the NAACP Presidential Primary Forum, July 12, 2007.
    19See supra note 4.
    Of every one hundred men in battle, ten should not even be there. Eighty, are nothing but targets. Nine are the real fighters, we are lucky to have them since they make the battle. Ah, but the one—one is the Warrior—and he brings the others home. —Heracletus

(Clarion County)

This is scarry shit man!!!!!!! I have no faith in McCain,the man creeps me out!Also,I will not-NOT GIVE UP MY 2nd.amendment BIRTH RIGHTS !!

Coin toss--?

(Berks County)

From everything I've seen (quotes, video clips, auido clips, and other direct from the horses ass... i mean mouth statements), if Obama is elected and gets the laws passed that he wants, we'll all still be able to own guns, as long as they are bolt action hunting rifles and full size shotguns (also for hunting).
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by mjfletcher View Post
    From everything I've seen (quotes, video clips, auido clips, and other direct from the horses ass... i mean mouth statements), if Obama is elected and gets the laws passed that he wants, we'll all still be able to own guns, as long as they are bolt action hunting rifles and full size shotguns (also for hunting).

...that some snot-nosed 23 year old punk right out of college in the Attorney General's office, whom has never held a firearm, will deem to be a "hunting rifle".
    http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w186/amamruoy/sigline-1-1-1-1.jpg

(Montgomery County)

If we would be stupid enough to pass a Federal CCW ban, which let me re-iterate would be beyond stupid, because I think that the people who have CCW aren't just Republicans or Conservatives, but probably a good mix of people. Also, with poles showing that CCW support is split about 50/50, it would be dangerous to piss off half the country and give candidates a great running plank in 2010. I hope the NRA would go to the Supreme Court with an appeal under the 2nd, 9th and especially 10th amendments.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gprimr1 View Post
    If we would be stupid enough to pass a Federal CCW ban, which let me re-iterate would be beyond stupid, because I think that the people who have CCW aren't just Republicans or Conservatives, but probably a good mix of people. Also, with poles showing that CCW support is split about 50/50, it would be dangerous to piss off half the country and give candidates a great running plank in 2010. I hope the NRA would go to the Supreme Court with an appeal under the 2nd, 9th and especially 10th amendments.
    Yanno, if CC were banned, only criminals would CC, the rest of us would be obligated to OC. Maybe O's a closet OC'er....
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast