Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Question regarding PGC summary citation issued at SGL 183

Quote Originally Posted by amstel78 View Post
    I'd be more than happy to pay the fine if once done, that's it. But did you see my edit in the post right above yours? The potential long-term repercussions of pleading guilty is really the only thing I'm concerned about.
    That being the cite,Consult with an Attorney ! GUNLAWYER on this site can give you the correct info you want and protections if required !

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by amstel78 View Post
    I'd be more than happy to pay the fine if once done, that's it. But did you see my edit in the post right above yours? The potential long-term repercussions of pleading guilty is really the only thing I'm concerned about.
    I understand your animosity on this and if you want peace of mind you could spend the $100 it would cost to chat with a lawyer on it.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Perry County)

I had multiple summary violations for my dog running at large while in college. My roommates would open a window and the SOB would make his escape. That didn't cause any ill effects on my becoming a Trooper. Mostly, a summary offense is no different than a traffic citation. It's a criminal conviction only in that it was written in regards to a criminal statute as opposed to Title 75 which is the vehicle code.

There are some caveats to that. Retail theft if small enough is a summary offense but you will be fingerprinted and another conviction will be a misdemeanor regardless of dollar amount. As far as a "rap sheet" goes, at least when I retired, no fingerprints meant nothing on your criminal history. Searching your name under the Unified Judicial System will bring up all summary offenses if that's what the searcher is looking for. But, like all things, circumstances matter. If you're doing something dishonest, that will be viewed more negatively than a citation for a failure to follow rules.

Knowing what I know, I would pay the fine and get on with my life as opposed to throwing more money at it.

FYI, penalties are always spelled out in the relevant code. They may not be in the particular section, sometimes they may be elsewhere in the chapter.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Pike County)

Thank you unclejumbo for your post above. It's certainly helped to put my mind at ease. I think I will plead guilty, pay the fine, and chalk it up under one of life's lessons.
    Don't wish ill for your enemies. Plan it.

(Indiana County)

From what I've learned on-line, your PGC summary citation won't amount to anything serious unless it's followed up by another somewhere down the line. The higher the number of offenses, the higher the fines will go.

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    . . . As far as a "rap sheet" goes, at least when I retired, no fingerprints meant nothing on your criminal history. . . . .
    That's been my understanding as well, that the booking info is what gets sent to the PSP and to the FBI, and is the core of your "record".

Big picture, the Op would lose before a DJ, and probably on appeal as well. There were no exigent circumstances, so all you've got is the argument that it was a de minimus violation, that shooting at a paper target over the backboard instead of directly at the backboard makes no measurable difference to the damage done to backboards in normal shooting. I wouldn't bet the house on a de minimus argument succeeding.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

You know what .... the fine is $198.25.
    I think they would want you to keep that ...... they are so loaded with cash , some of which they didn't even know they had ....... and can't be bothered to make sure they get the royalties they are owed from the energy companies ................ how could they possible be bothered or even know if they are missing your $198.25?

https://fox43.com/2019/05/30/auditor...ease-revenues/

(Susquehanna County)

He fined you because he knows that as a PA resident you will pay the fine. They gotta justify their jobs and make money for the PGC. The out of state folks would just trashcan the fine and laugh all the way back to NY/NJ.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    That's been my understanding as well, that the booking info is what gets sent to the PSP and to the FBI, and is the core of your "record".

Big picture, the Op would lose before a DJ, and probably on appeal as well. There were no exigent circumstances, so all you've got is the argument that it was a de minimus violation, that shooting at a paper target over the backboard instead of directly at the backboard makes no measurable difference to the damage done to backboards in normal shooting. I wouldn't bet the house on a de minimus argument succeeding.
    If I understand correctly then, pleading guilty to this charge essentially amounts to nil as far as an actual criminal record goes?

I was thinking of the same argument if I went before a judge, but the argument would be a weak one based on semantics. I'm pretty sure the judge would have sided with the game commission. Thank you nonetheless for your input and wisdom. It's very much appreciated.
    Last edited by amstel78; June 5th, 2019 at 07:15 PM.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
    You know what .... the fine is $198.25.
    I think they would want you to keep that ...... they are so loaded with cash , some of which they didn't even know they had ....... and can't be bothered to make sure they get the royalties they are owed from the energy companies ................ how could they possible be bothered or even know if they are missing your $198.25?

https://fox43.com/2019/05/30/auditor...ease-revenues/
    Just another example of a bureaucratic hot mess I suppose. But, I'm not willing to have a bench warrant for my arrest issued over $198.25.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast