Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any current active members at Ontelaunee Rod and Gun in New Tripoli?

I need to join a range and want something a lot different then what is offered in my local area. I shot the Blue mountain steel classic here a few years back but have not been back since. I know they run a lot of IDPA and other competitions out of this facility so that's a good thing. My question is do they allow for training for these types of events as well as safely drawing from the holster and training with long arms and pistols when the range is slow or empty?

I have my own target stand's, backers, and AR500 steel plates.

I am not a bench rest shooter at all other then when sighting in a rifle.

Thanks

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Any current active members at Ontelaunee Rod and Gun in New Tripoli?

I am not a member there, but a close friend is and I've been there a couple of times.

According to my buddy, generally there is no Range Officer during the week and you can basically do as you wish as long as you're not unsafe or trashing the place. On weekends, there is a Range Officer roaming around and they enforce the rules very strictly. They are not shy about asking you to leave if you rack up 3 or 5 violations.

The range and equipment seemed to be in a very good state of repair. I'm not sure if they allow you to bring your own plates, etc. My buddy was lectured once about placing a small clay disk on top of a target stand. They have a rule about affixing anything to the target stands.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Any current active members at Ontelaunee Rod and Gun in New Tripoli?

Judging by the raving reviews from other competitors at uspsa matches they would allow for actual training. This is the benchmark club all others are held to

Thanks guys!

Im not looking for hard core running and gunning but I'm not interested in counting to 3 between search shot I take either. I would be going during the week only unless it was a competition I entered so it should be pretty quiet most of the time.

(Carbon County)

I'm a member here, just joined this year. Before you become a member you have to take a class at the range that goes over the rules.

Bringing you own steel is fine, the big problem that was pointed out at the safety class that will get you kicked out is shooting at their target stands, so absolutely no issue if you bring your own.

I have not been able to attend anything other than the competitions, but they do have informal practice for them outside of the actual competitions I believe.

No rules on rate of fire, just can't bring full auto. No rules against drawing from the holster either as far as I'm aware, as long as you're doing it safely. No magazine limits, stuff a 500 round belt in your Glock and go nuts

They hold the orientation meetings once a month or so and it's free to attend, you should check it out and you can get answers directly from the guys in charge:
    https://ontelaunee.org/membership-renewal-information/

Doesn't look like new dates have been posted, just drop an email to the one listed on that page, they are very responsive.

The only 'problem' I think you'll run into is they are constantly doing something in the spring /summer / fall, so the ranges you'll want to setup on will be in use by people setting up for competitions a lot. Volunteering to help setup I believe gets you early access to use these setups, something you might want to consider for practicing.
    Last edited by marketermac; June 4th, 2019 at 06:59 PM.

Thank you for that info, I will send an Email off tomorrow requesting the next orientation date. It’s a bit of a hike for me but it will make range days worth the work.

(Carbon County)

The range itself is worth the trip. I have acreage and can shoot in my backyard, I still joined up over there and make the 40 minute drive. They have an awesome setup, and the sheer amount of competitions you can do is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by marketermac View Post
    The range itself is worth the trip. I have acreage and can shoot in my backyard, I still joined up over there and make the 40 minute drive. They have an awesome setup, and the sheer amount of competitions you can do is amazing.
    I have several acres too and can shoot on my property as well but feel bad for my neighbors since they are out a lot in the summer months. I’m about 50 minutes from there but enjoyed the time I was there.

Anyone try to get onto the Ontelaunee site lately or today? I went to download the new members form and send my payment out with it to join so I could go to the new members meeting this week and the site is down.

I also tried to open a e-mail from STSK their training partner regarding a class I want to attend and their link is dead too.

I get this regardless of what devise or search engine I use.

Your connection is not private
    Attackers might be trying to steal your information from ontelaunee.org (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). Learn more
    NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID

Help improve Chrome security by sending URLs of some pages you visit, limited system information, and some page content to Google. Privacy policy

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Anyone try to get onto the Ontelaunee site lately or today? I went to download the new members form and send my payment out with it to join so I could go to the new members meeting this week and the site is down.

I also tried to open a e-mail from STSK their training partner regarding a class I want to attend and their link is dead too.

I get this regardless of what devise or search engine I use.
    I clicked on the link in post #5 above and couldn't get in.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast