Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luger

Hybrid View

(Allegheny County)

Question Luger

When I was last at the range, there was a guy there shooting a Luger. He then told me there's a company in the US that makes them, and the parts are interchangeable with the real Luger. Has anybody ever heard of anything like that ?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Luger

Mitchell Arms and Stoeger American Eagle were two in the 90s I think. Not sure anyone makes them now. They're expensive to make well and have limited appeal.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    Mitchell Arms and Stoeger American Eagle were two in the 90s I think. Not sure anyone makes them now. They're expensive to make well and have limited appeal.
    I don't think anyone has made them since those two stopped. If you want a Luger, get a shooter grade German made Luger. They can be had for around $1k or so, and well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    I don't think anyone has made them since those two stopped. If you want a Luger, get a shooter grade German made Luger. They can be had for around $1k or so, and well worth it.
    I defiantly agree. I got an excellent condition discretely import marked example this past December for $600.00 from a board member. The side plate is mismatched and the firing pin and wooden grips are replacements.

(Franklin County)

I agree with the above. There's no reason to own a new Luger, if you want nostalgia just get a real one. Lugers are super cool but as modern handguns goes they are not ideal platforms.
    The very first handgun I ever shot (at 9-10) was an authentic numbers matching Luger that my grandfather brought home from Europe and left to my dad. I grew up with that gun around the house, 45 years later I'm still pissed that my father sold it. So even though I have an attachment to old Lugers I see no reason to own a new one.
    The Hostler

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    I agree with the above. There's no reason to own a new Luger, if you want nostalgia just get a real one. Lugers are super cool but as modern handguns goes they are not ideal platforms.
    The very first handgun I ever shot (at 9-10) was an authentic numbers matching Luger that my grandfather brought home from Europe and left to my dad. I grew up with that gun around the house, 45 years later I'm still pissed that my father sold it. So even though I have an attachment to old Lugers I see no reason to own a new one.
    Mine is a 1941 made Mauser Luger. I've owned it since 1994, and it has been 100% reliable with my reloads, and any factory ammo including hollow points. I would not hesitate to use it for self defense. However, due to the exposed sear, I would not carry one with a round in the chamber even with the safety on.

My Luger runs fine off the Federal bulk pack I get at Walmart. The P38 gets hang ups here and there but it still has its original springs and they need to be changed.

I’m not real worried about complete reliability from 75 year old firearms. I own them for historic reasons as well as fun, and not for defensive purposes.

The original cartridge was the 7.65 Luger. You can find them occasionally in that caliber, but they are rare. I've always wanted one to go with my 9MM. I want to say the Browning Hi Power was also made in that caliber, but now I'm not sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.65×21mm_Parabellum
    The BHP was 9mm from the start, it was one of the requirements for the gun from the French military.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    The BHP was 9mm from the start, it was one of the requirements for the gun from the French military.
    I know, but didn't they make one later in 7.65? I may be wrong.

I know, but didn't they make one later in 7.65? I may be wrong.
    Not that I know of.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast