Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Illegal and Unprofessional behavior by Stroudsburg Regional

Around 4:15pm I was walking out of the Wawa, as 2 officers were walking in. I held the door open for them. About 10 seconds after they turned around and approached me. They loudly declared "cover up your gun now!" and I complied.

They asked me why I was open carrying and didn't have any ID out. They also wanted to know where I worked. I informed them that I am a private security consultant and I didn't want to disclose my employer. They then turned to my friend who was walking with me and asked if he had a gun. When they were told no they turned their attention back to me.

They became very unprofessional in their language telling me its not wild west and that they don't open carry or even carry when not on duty. They told me that next time they saw me OCing I would have a major problem.

They demanded to see my concealed carry permit. I told them I do not need to show them ID and do not need a concealed carry permit to OC. I was told I would have a major problem if I didn't produce them. I handed them I Florida CC permit. One patrollman wrote down the information and called it in. He then demanded my drivers license and called it in. While he was waiting for the dispatch to come back he wanted to know if I live at the address on my license and insisted that this is PA and that if I wanted a concealed carry license I would need to go down to Monroe county courthouse.

The officers not only violated the law but were very unprofessional in their language, tone of voice and their actions. While one officer was talking to me and using the radio another one walked away with a cellphone to call the corporal. The corporal must not have been very interested because he walked back within 2 minutes and no additional officers showed up. I was handed back my drivers license and concealed carry permit. They went on to reiterate how OCing causes a problem. One patrolman was adamant that I OC because I have something to prove and asked why I do it. I explained that it makes my fire arm more accessible and is more comfortable. He said it was bullshit. He said that without me showing them my work ID they couldn't even know if me being a security consultant was bullshit and that they can't just have someone running around dressed all in black with a gun ( I was wearing pressed and ironed 5.11 pants and a clean, properly fitting computer/network security tshirt from an organization I belong to). When the dispatch came back the officer was surprised and said "The 30 came back negative?". I don't have 10 codes in front of me but I'm guessing I have no open warrants on me. The officers again reiterated again that I must conceal as I was walking away and I told them I would take that under advisement and told them to have a good day. The officer responded that I damn better take that under advisement.

When I asked them for their business cards I was told they didn't have any on them. When I asked for a piece of paper to write down their names they said no and said their name is right there and pointed at their name tags.

The 2 patrolman that stopped me are very obviously rookies and this needs to be followed up with the police department, perhaps an OC event at the wallmart? Maybe the great coffee and donut buy?

Officers names:
    Vogt
    Petruzzi
    Last edited by netw0rkpenguin; October 11th, 2008 at 05:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: Illegal and Unprofessional behavior by Stroudsburg Regional

I was with netw0rkpenguin when he was stopped by the police for open carrying. Here is the scenario from my point of view. We bought some food at Wawa, and after paying for our purchases, walked out the door. I walked out first, and held the door for Vlad. As I was walking out, two uniformed police officers were walking in. I walked out just slightly before they walked in, so Vlad held the door for them. We were walking towards Vlad's car, when from behind us, a voice said, "hey, man. Stop."

We stopped, and turned around. There were the two uniformed Stroudsburg Regional police officers, one named Petruzzi, and one named Vogt. They asked Vlad who he was with. Vlad replied that he is a private consultant. At this point, having established that he is not a police officer that they simply are not familiar with, they shifted into confrontational mode. Petruzzi took the lead in talking, asking Vlad if he has a concealed carry permit, and then, asking to see it. Vlad immediately handed it over. Petruzzi looked at it, and exclaimed, "Florida. This ain't Florida" Vlad explained that Pennsylvania and Florida have reciprocity with each other. Petruzzi told Vlad that it is a CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT (emphasis Petruzzi's), and that Vlad needed to cover his gun immediately. Vlad did so. Vogt, in the meantime, called for and received an incident number for this. Vlad was asked for his drivers license. He complied. The officers called in his name and asked for a 30 to be run, presumably a Wants and Warrants, run via NCIC (National Crime Information Center). It came back negative.

One of the officers called their corporal to ask for guidance. The part of the conversation that I overheard went something like this. "Yeah, we got a guy just wandering through Wawa with a gun on his hip, not concealed or anything. Should we bring him in?"

At all times, at least one officer was hectoring Vlad. They told him it is a concealed carry permit. I interjected mildly, saying that it is actually called a License to Carry Firearm. Vlad told them several times that Open Carry is legal in Pennsylvania, and you don't even need a LTCF to do so up here in Stroudsburg. They told him he was wrong, and that this is not the Wild West. "Do you know how many phone calls we're going to get about you?" and "You do this again, and you're going to jail." were a couple of the comments made by these two officers.

I am an ex-cop, and I recognized the tones these two were using. They were using the tones you use with a career criminal, one who lives in the fringe, the underside, the criminal world. You don't use those tones with a civilian. These two rookies, and I firmly believe they were rookies, were out of line.

After they illegally stopped us, illegally carried out an overextended Terry stop, and gave illegal instructions to a licensed firearms carrier, they released us. We walked to the car, and I got a brochure from www.paopencarry.org, walked back into the Wawa, and told Officer Petruzzi that I may not agree with my friend's ideas, but he was legal to do what he did. I handed him the brochure, and walked out.

I have no stake in this, except for that my friend, who acted polite and professional the whole time, was hassled beyond the pale by some very unprofessional cops. I was embarrassed for my former brethren.

Joshua

(Luzerne County)

I just walked in the door and this was the newest thread

I'll be back in a bit. ...

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Monroe County)

(Lebanon County)

I'm starting to wonder if there is a pattern emerging here.
    Me at HD Fraggle at the courthouse being told they are going to willfully violate state law, and now this.

Did someone tell all the cops in eastern Pennsylvania to start harrassing people?
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    Hrm, I like how they are at the very bottom, and separated by a blank line. Think this proofs they are rookies. One of them has a hotmail account ahahaha.

Anyway, should we all email them a copy of paopencarry brochure.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    I just walked in the door and this was the newest thread

I'll be back in a bit. ...
    Definitely time for that phone call we were discussing.

(Monroe County)

Ill talk to Petruzzi he is a lil over bearing some times, I will see what he has to say.
    Does this look like my Care Face.....

(Franklin County)

You'd be better served by making a formal complaint against both of these officers and addressing this matter directly with the chief.

Anyone who OC's regularly should carry a digital recorder with them at all times. It makes lying about what transpired VERY difficult.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Lackawanna County)

that's such bullshit. i've talked to the Penguin, and he's a pretty soft spoke, nice guy. i had my own run in last night, with PSP, but i want to try and get it resolved with their supervisor first before i post.

Did someone tell all the cops in eastern Pennsylvania to start harrassing people?
    i was thinking the same thing last night; what the fuck is going on? it's getting out of hand.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast