Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Lightbulb PT> JERVIS N Y ? O/C ?

Gave a lift to a friend going out to Stewart Airport and stopped at PT JERVIS N Y for something to eat,we observed a Pa. car pull into restaurant an approx 25 year old male and female exit their vehicle O/Cing.Seems they were comfortable enough to do this and people inrest did not bat an eye with their full display while in N Y ! While that day may come where constitutional carry is possible these two either flagrantly displayed their firearms or thought they were still in Pa. did not wait to see any outcome of the situation !

Default Re: PT> JERVIS N Y ? O/C ?

I believe OC is legal (if properly licensed) within a vehicle. Outside not so sure.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Gave a lift to a friend going out to Stewart Airport and stopped at PT JERVIS N Y for something to eat,we observed a Pa. car pull into restaurant an approx 25 year old male and female exit their vehicle O/Cing.Seems they were comfortable enough to do this and people inrest did not bat an eye with their full display while in N Y ! While that day may come where constitutional carry is possible these two either flagrantly displayed their firearms or thought they were still in Pa. did not wait to see any outcome of the situation !
    Open Carry is legal in most of ny afaik. They could have been NY residents that have a home and title a car in PA. A lot of NY/NJ ites that have homes here do that for insurance reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Open Carry is legal in most of ny afaik. They could have been NY residents that have a home and title a car in PA. A lot of NY/NJ ites that have homes here do that for insurance reasons.
    Oc I is not legal in NY unless your in uniform.
    I'm a Rep Virgin

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Square Bag View Post
    Oc I is not legal in NY unless your in uniform.
    This is what I was thinking. I dug into NY's regs a little to get my mind straight on their two license system up there and even those with a CCP are not allowed to open carry.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

O/C by NY residents with CC Permits are permitted while engageing in Legal Hunting with Hunting licenses ! No other form of O/C is permitted in N Y . Especially Pa. residents not allowed to handgun in N Y at all .

Whether or not OC is legal in NY is a hotly debated topic. Certainly, there is no law explicitly prohibiting it. But many have taken the way the licensing laws are worded as an implication that OC is illegal. I'll try to sum it up as succinctly as possible: all forms of possession are prohibited, with exceptions for certain groups, one of which are licensed individuals. The wording for the most common type of license goes as follows:

have and carry concealed, without regard to employment or place of possession, by any person when proper cause exists for the issuance thereof;
    The fact that this clause explicitly states "and carry concealed" makes many people believe that all forms of carry were also prohibited by the same text that prohibits all forms of possession. I think most PA OC advocates would take a lesson learned from their own past and point out that if the action is not explicitly prohibited, then it is by default legal - the same way that you guys made it clear that OC is legal in PA.

There is a very small amount of documentation to back up the position that OC is legal in NY - specifically, letters from two counties (shown below) that state a pistol may be carried openly. But this is just another interpretation of the law, one that could be wrong.

ChemungLetter_resized.jpgHerkimerOC_resized.jpg

IMO, open carry is legal in NY, but it has not been proven in a court of law... so unless you want to be the test case, one should be very careful where they practice it. I certainly see it on a regular enough basis, and I have occasionally OC'd myself. The reality is that the vast majority of landmass in NY is quite rural, and not all that different from PA.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    IMO, open carry is legal in NY, but it has not been proven in a court of law... so unless you want to be the test case, one should be very careful where they practice it. I certainly see it on a regular enough basis, and I have occasionally OC'd myself. The reality is that the vast majority of landmass in NY is quite rural, and not all that different from PA.
    I think that's how it was in Alabama until the recent OC law passed. Because it was not explicitly banned by law, it was de facto legal. And that was from the then-state attorney general himself, for what that's worth. Now that it's codified into law, it's a bit more cut and dry.