Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W M&P Trigger

(Westmoreland County)

Default S&W M&P Trigger

What kind of trigger does the S&W M&P have? Is it a LEM of sorts? A DAO?

I dry fired one a while back in a gun shop and don't remember what kind of trigger it was, but do remember that I did not like it. Other than that, the S&W seemed like a sweet gun.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: S&W M&P Trigger

It's similar in function to a glock and XD. I currently own two M&P's but I would not want one without a burwell or bowie trigger job.

(Clearfield County)

+1 for the Burwell trigger job
    Steve

(Montgomery County)

I was considering getting the S&W Performance Center "Action Package" (polish ramp, tune action, install Performance Center sear) on my M&P. S&W will do it for $100 (adding $25 gets it done with 5-day turnaround. I wonder how that compares to Burwell's standard job at $65.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by toml View Post
    I was considering getting the S&W Performance Center "Action Package" (polish ramp, tune action, install Performance Center sear) on my M&P. S&W will do it for $100 (adding $25 gets it done with 5-day turnaround. I wonder how that compares to Burwell's standard job at $65.
    I don't know, but I've never heard ANYBODY say anything bad about burwell trigger job.

Those same people probably skipped on the S&W package.

That said, the gun does benefit from a trigger job right out of the box. The trigger is very nice and crisp, but the takeup was a little rough for me. I polished the mating surfaces and it's butter. Shooting it smooths it out as well.

The bigest advantage I can see with the S&W job is it will most likely be much faster. Burwell is booked, and you'll have to wait to get your gun in his hands. That being said, he will do things to the action that slightly modify parts to make the trigger better. S&W will most likely not do this.

It's a nice trigger out of the box, but it can be an AMAZING trigger with a little work. Either option will make it better, and I think you cold even do both

(Centre County)

now, I never tried one with burwell or bowie trigger job.
    But after shooting my M&P9 for over 2.5 years, its trigger smoothed out ALOT.
    I think it started out like 6.5lb or something in that area, but its now about 5.25lb. Not too light, not too heavy, yet heavy enough for CCW. I believe too light of trigger for CCW is not that great of idea.
    But it could use little shorter reset I think

I do like to try one with trigger job tho
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Chester County)

I had a less than positive experience with a Burwell trigger job (which WAS 100% made right in the end, but I'm not alone).

Bowie has a longer wait, and last I checked, a higher price for his work....that said, in a carry gun, I'd opt for Bowie to do the work.

I haven't shot the PC version, so I can't comment there.

Like Tony said, think XD action. I've heard the striker is partially cocked by the trigger (sear), but looking at it...I don't really see how that's possible (the sear rotates a LITTLE, but not much...)

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    I believe too light of trigger for CCW is not that great of idea.
    I'm fine with a 3.5# trigger on my 1911's.

But it could use little shorter reset I think
    That's only part of the problem. The reset on the factory trigger is also significantly indistinct.

I do like to try one with trigger job tho
    When you do you'll grow to hate the factory trigger.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    I had a less than positive experience with a Burwell trigger job (which WAS 100% made right in the end, but I'm not alone).
    I'm curious.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    I'm curious.
    Requested a 4# (specified for a carry weapon), got a 2.4-3#....shot it for about 500 rounds...started failing to reset (sear was too aggresively filed), had to rack the slide to get it to fire...after 700 rounds it would fail to reset 3+ times/ magazine.

Sent it back, no charge/ shipping covered, again, requested a 4#...got a 3-3.5#..it was just too light for me to feel comfortable with.

Called up, voiced my concerns, was offered a loaner while he fixed it up how I wanted it (really went the extra mile for me), and again it went off for work.

After 3 trips, I had a fantastic gun, exactly how I wanted it...but it took 3 trips, and the fact that a carry gun was pushed beyond the limits of the parts, shook me up. Dan did everything he could to make the situation right...and he really is a great guy. When it came to my carry firearm though, I didn't have 100% confidence in his work.

In the 3 seperate trips it took back, I just shot my Glock exclusively. By the time I finally had my M&P where I wanted it, I was shooting my Glock just as well as the tweaked M&P. The M&P action ran reliably (1.5k rounds w/o any sight of failure from the trigger job), just had a few mag failures.

In the end, I was shooting my Glock just as well, had a better holster (for me) for my Glock, and had some magazine related failures with the M&P (they have since released a newer follower). I needed the money, so I sold the M&P...complete with a set of stock replacement parts (should the guy who bought it wan't to bring it back to stock).

The end result in the M&P was a world class trigger, it was the journey getting there that shook my confidence. I'd go to Dan again for a game gun, but not for a carry gun. I've seen a few other reports of M&P's going full-auto on folks, which passed across Dan's bench.

Both my, and the full-auto referenced jobs were early in Dan's days working on the M&P. I've been told he does things a little differently now. Bottom line, is that I think his work wasn't ready for "prime-time" when I had it done, IMO. His work might be top notch now...but I have yet to see an issue with any of Bowie's work.

I'm not trying to bad-mouth Dan, 1 bit... just that I'd check out Bowie for serious use guns.
    Last edited by synergy; October 25th, 2008 at 05:02 PM. Reason: grammer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast