Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default M1 Garand .308 info needed

I have the opportunity to acquire a SpringField Armory M1 Garand in .308.
    With that said, I am somewhat knowledgeable on the M1 platform, but know very little about them chambered in .308.
    Best I can tell from my brief time handling is that the rifle is in used but very good condition, to use CMP terms I would put this as service grade, and toward the high water mark at that.

I'm looking for any info on gotchas or things to look out for since its unlikely I will be able to shoot it before I buy. Bore appears to be VG with sharp rifling, and timing appears to be good as well.
    I'm also looking for pricing, as I believe its being sold at a fair price, but the market has blown up considerably since I last investigated current Garand Pricing.
    Some pricing high or low estimates would be helpful.

Thanks,

Rob

Optimized-20190505_151912.jpg

Default Re: M1 Garand .308 info needed

Ya might want to ask that question over at the M14 forum. They'll know the smallest details , markings and part numbers.

But many were coverted by the US Navy for issue and or match use. They were converted by several methods , from chamber reaming and inserts to rebarreling.

Many were converted after transition to civilian life too.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post

But many were coverted by the US Navy for issue and or match use. They were converted by several methods , from chamber reaming and inserts to rebarreling.

Many were converted after transition to civilian life too.
    I have a feeling the rifle in question is a commercial product and not a USGI Springfield.
    OP correct me if wrong.
    Is it a cast receiver?.
    I believe at one time SpringField Armory the commercial product company was thought to be using less than ideal parts.
    What is the cost of this rifle?
    Currently the CMP sells 308 Garands for $1250 and their custom shop will barrel one for you also .....................
    The price of a commercial product Springfield Armory 308 M1 would need to be mighty low to pick it instead of going the CMP route.
    Keep in mind , very often the CMP customer service is top notch , should there be a problem.
    Given the rep and all things considered , if the cost of this rifle was anywhere remotely near a CMP product or what the CMP would put one together for , I would pass.

IF on the other hand this is the USGI Springfield Armory and not a commercial product company............ I'd say go for it .... and I already gave you the price for one
    Last edited by Boondox; May 9th, 2019 at 08:05 PM.

(Elk County)

What's the first four digits of the s/n? If the first digit is a 7, it's a commercial Springfield, Inc. rifle. Lots were made, most are good shooters.

If the s/n starts with a 5 or less, it's a converted GI. Many different organizations converted them, from commercial gunsmiths and businesses like Fulton Armory, to contractors of the US Navy.

Quality 7.62 conversions always have a spacer at the front of the magwell; either white plastic or gray-green phosphated steel. Navy conversions had the white plastic spacers, but not all conversions with white spacers are Navy rifles; spacers were available as surplus parts and used by businesses and individuals. The phosphated metal spacers were generally commercial or foreign. My Fulton rebuild has a phosed metal spacer.

Navy conversions were the Mk 2 Mod 0, which used a chamber insert to "rechamber" the barrel but these had a habit of coming loose and ejecting with an empty cartridge. The Mk 2 Mod 1 rifle was fitted with a new barrel with a 1:12 twist that was more suited to the M80 ball ammo rather than the M2 Ball 30-06 round.

The barrels of the Navy conversions have appropriate markings peculiar to when the conversions were performed and by whom. These markings can be seen when the op rod is pulled to the rear and latched, and viewed in the gap between the op rod and the handguard.

Commercial barrels do not have a drawing number that starts with a D or a 6; they will generally just be stamped "7.62". GI barrels will have a drawing number, last two digits of the year, or month hyphen last two digits of the year. Most Navy conversions will be stamped "AMF" or "H&R" on the barrel in the same location along with "7.62".

While 7.62 converted M1 Rifles can feed and cycle the NATO round without a white plastic or metal spacer if properly set up, a spacer is "belt and suspenders" for reliable functionality.

If you can snap a pic of the barrel markings and the receiver heel stamp and LMK what spacer it has, if any, I could give you a better idea of what you're looking at.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Chester County)

You talk like you were an armorer, or something... sheesh!

(Allegheny County)

Get a real Garand! 30.06 baby!

Just a FYI, If you ever choose to participate in a CMP "as issued" Garand match, you won't be able to use that rifle (308).
    Toujours prêt

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    What's the first four digits of the s/n? If the first digit is a 7, it's a commercial Springfield, Inc. rifle. Lots were made, most are good shooters.

If the s/n starts with a 5 or less, it's a converted GI. Many different organizations converted them, from commercial gunsmiths and businesses like Fulton Armory, to contractors of the US Navy.

Quality 7.62 conversions always have a spacer at the front of the magwell; either white plastic or gray-green phosphated steel. Navy conversions had the white plastic spacers, but not all conversions with white spacers are Navy rifles; spacers were available as surplus parts and used by businesses and individuals. The phosphated metal spacers were generally commercial or foreign. My Fulton rebuild has a phosed metal spacer.

Navy conversions were the Mk 2 Mod 0, which used a chamber insert to "rechamber" the barrel but these had a habit of coming loose and ejecting with an empty cartridge. The Mk 2 Mod 1 rifle was fitted with a new barrel with a 1:12 twist that was more suited to the M80 ball ammo rather than the M2 Ball 30-06 round.

The barrels of the Navy conversions have appropriate markings peculiar to when the conversions were performed and by whom. These markings can be seen when the op rod is pulled to the rear and latched, and viewed in the gap between the op rod and the handguard.

Commercial barrels do not have a drawing number that starts with a D or a 6; they will generally just be stamped "7.62". GI barrels will have a drawing number, last two digits of the year, or month hyphen last two digits of the year. Most Navy conversions will be stamped "AMF" or "H&R" on the barrel in the same location along with "7.62".

While 7.62 converted M1 Rifles can feed and cycle the NATO round without a white plastic or metal spacer if properly set up, a spacer is "belt and suspenders" for reliable functionality.

If you can snap a pic of the barrel markings and the receiver heel stamp and LMK what spacer it has, if any, I could give you a better idea of what you're looking at.

Noah
    Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    You talk like you were an armorer, or something... sheesh!
    Me, I always appreciate someone teaching me something, that I might not know about. Always good to have as much info as possible, much, much, better than too little. Been there done that, and regretted it.

(Lehigh County)

I have a Garand that I rebarreled and restocked (original barrel no longer showed rifling, and the stock...well, it burned well, anyway!) in .308. Probably have 300 rounds through it, not a burble. One thing I was cautioned about was to use mid-range powder - I stuck with 4895 over 150s and 168s, and this worked well and was accurate. I hope your luck is as good as mine.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Plain Old Bill View Post
    I have a Garand that I rebarreled and restocked (original barrel no longer showed rifling, and the stock...well, it burned well, anyway!) in .308. Probably have 300 rounds through it, not a burble. One thing I was cautioned about was to use mid-range powder - I stuck with 4895 over 150s and 168s, and this worked well and was accurate. I hope your luck is as good as mine.
    4895 is THE go-to powder for reloads for M1 Rifles.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

http://usriflecal30m1.com/

Lot of info on the Garand.