Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 rise/drop

(Franklin County)

Default .22 rise/drop

I know every brand of ammo is a little different, but this morning I need to shoot in a rifle for 15 yards, but the range I have available is 25 yards. I haven't been able to find a chart that gives me good offset info to that level of specificity. Can someone give me a quick and dirty estimate?
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: .22 rise/drop

CCI has charts for their ammo if you go to their site.

Also, Nikon Spot On generates charts for a lot of different rounds, and helps you determine ranges for their BDC reticles.

(Elk County)

Not sure you'll find a chart with granularity of 15 and 25 yds, but this

http://www.shooterscalculator.com/ba...php?t=f630255c. (Scroll towards bottom)

pretty much says if you set the sights 1.5" low, at the bench you'll be within about 1/4" between 15 and 25 yds at the target.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Adams County)

It actually gets a little tricky at close range, especially with a scope. The center of the scope can be about 1.5" above the bore center. The line of sight angles downward to intersect the bullet path at 25 yards. If you look at the relationship at 15 yards, the bullet is below the line of sight. Best SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess) would be about 1/4" low, so at 25, set for 1/4" high. With iron sights closer to the bore axis, it would be a lesser amount.

(Franklin County)

Thanks guys. I'm using a red dot, and based on a chart I found with numbers instead of a graphic representation, there should be about a half inch difference. I'm prepping for a match tomorrow where minimum target size will be 8" diameter, so while I want to be as accurate as possible, I should be good if I'm within that margin of error.

I'll have more time to dial things in, and practice my technique before the next match rolls around.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Montgomery County)

I usually use the Federal ballistics calculator in their website and I also have the android app.

(Cumberland County)

Thought I'd give you my 2 cents worth. I used to do .22 silhouette,s. 25,50,75,100 yard targets. Yes this is handgun btw, iron sites as well. My base sight settings stayed the same out to 50 yds.. changes were made at 75 then at 100 yds.. I realize you are talking rifle with scope. Just saying there are minimal elevation differences at the ranges you are talking. They would certainly fall inside a 8" circle. Your best bet is to shoot at 15 yds. After you bore site. I think you'll find minimal adjustments will be needed.

I remember some .22 boxes had that info , and some even had a diagram of bullet trajectory printed on the back of that little box.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I know every brand of ammo is a little different, but this morning I need to shoot in a rifle for 15 yards, but the range I have available is 25 yards. I haven't been able to find a chart that gives me good offset info to that level of specificity. Can someone give me a quick and dirty estimate?
    Here's a good chart. Looks like you zero for 25 yards you'll be about .5 in low at 15. Unless I've got it backwards. :-) With high velocity (1260) ammo. Interesting chart. I didn't realize how fast it dropped after 60 yds.

http://www.gunsmoke.com/guns/1022/22ballistics.html
    Last edited by SevenMilePete; May 4th, 2019 at 11:38 PM.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm using a red dot, and based on a chart I found with numbers instead of a graphic representation, there should be about a half inch difference. I'm prepping for a match tomorrow where minimum target size will be 8" diameter, so while I want to be as accurate as possible, I should be good if I'm within that margin of error.

I'll have more time to dial things in, and practice my technique before the next match rolls around.
    Yep.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast