Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Early M1911 pistols

Someone I work with has a 1911 Colt that dates to 1912 according to the serial number. It was a relative's service weapon from WW2. I was checking it out and have several questions that I am sure someone here can answer.

1. Given the early production date, what was the chance that it was used in both WW1 and WW2? Is it conceivable that any guns made in 1912 were put on a shelf during war time?
    2. What was the governments policy on soldiers keeping their service weapons?
    3. How many magazines were issued? He has 3 magazines. I did not see any obvious markings on them but I did not look too closely. Of the 3 has a loop on the baseplate. What were the standard service magazines back then line?

Thanks

Default Re: Early M1911 pistols

Yes , many WWI 1911's were refurbished and reissued for WWII. A surprising number remained in original condition though.

Generally , ya got 3 mags in wartime. 1 in the pistol , 2 in the belt pouch.

I understand senior NCOs could purchase their sidearms upon mustering out. Many soldiers simply 'forgot' to turn them in .

WWII USGI mags have a 1 or 2 letter code on the top of the tip of the magazine baseplate. Baseplates with loops were WWI issue , but fakes abound.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!