Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Washington County)

Default 7 rounds of 45 in 1911 officers mag?

So, I've had this Colt Wiley Clapp CCO for a while, but only recently my holster has arrived. For those unfamiliar, the CCO is a commander slide mated to an officer's frame. Anyway, at the range, I have noticed that 7 rounds will easily fit into the magazine, despite Colt's website describing them as 6 round mags.

Now that I am able to carry the pistol, I would obviously rather carry the magazine's loaded with 7 rounds. This way I can have 15 rounds of 45 by only carrying one reload.

This is a question not of "can I?" but "should I?". I have heard the argument many times about springs wearing out from use, not compression, and I agree. I have many mags stored fully loaded for long term. However, I do suspect that compressing a spring BEYOND its design will fatigue the spring.

So I'm asking you, should I? Does anyone out there carry 7 rounds in their officer's mags?

For clarity: these are mags which are flush fit to the bottom of the officers frame.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: 7 rounds of 45 in 1911 officers mag?

If it were my gun I would order a few Wilson or McCormick compact mags. They’re designed for seven rounds and in my officer sized 1911 they run flawlessly.
    Last edited by bripro; April 27th, 2019 at 02:18 PM.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Erie County)

I have two factory versions of the Colt Officer mags. One version holds six rounds, the other, seven rounds. Both magazine versions were purchased from Colt and have run without problem, maintained continuously at their individual capacities.

Alternatively, you can also use regular 7, 8, or 9 round 1911 mags, if, you do not mind mags sticking out of the grip.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    If it were my gun I would order a few Wilson or McCormick compact mags. They’re designed for seven rounds and in my officer sized 1911 they run flawlessly.
    Do these protrude below the grip frame? That would be a deal breaker for me.

(Lancaster County)

The Wilson does slightly but the McCormick is flush.
    According to the post above though, it looks like you’ll be fine with your current magazines. I had a feeling the springs would be fine but don’t have first-hand experience so I figured I’d let someone else answer that part.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Klyde View Post
    I have two factory versions of the Colt Officer mags. One version holds six rounds, the other, seven rounds. Both magazine versions were purchased from Colt and have run without problem, maintained continuously at their individual capacities.

Alternatively, you can also use regular 7, 8, or 9 round 1911 mags, if, you do not mind mags sticking out of the grip.
    How can you tell the 6 from the 7 round mags? Just the number of rounds they will accept? Mine aren't marked in any way other that the prancing pony and caliber.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    How can you tell the 6 from the 7 round mags? Just the number of rounds they will accept? Mine aren't marked in any way other that the prancing pony and caliber.
    Number of witness holes on the side, plus 1 (top round), usually.

+2 for the Chip McCormick Officers' mags. I have 8 or 10 of the flush-bottom ones and have never had a malfunction.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Number of witness holes on the side, plus 1 (top round), usually.

+2 for the Chip McCormick Officers' mags. I have 8 or 10 of the flush-bottom ones and have never had a malfunction.

Noah
    These both have 6 witness holes, although I don"t understand why. When loaded with six rounds, four witness holes show rounds. When loaded with 7, five show rounds. The bottom witness hole will never show anything but the spring.