Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Living in PA with LTCF, with the need to go a mile into NJ...

I know the obvious and lawful answer to this question is: Just leave it at home. However, I'm curious enough to see if there is a legal way around this issue.

The other day as I was leaving work my wife called me and said "My dad is at the Trenton train station and needs a ride, can you go pick him up?". Without a second thought I said sure. Well, as I was going over the bridge I thought "Holy Crap! My pistol is in my gear bag sitting next to me in the passenger seat!". I figured the chances of me getting stopped were slim to none, however I did remove the pistol and extra mag and put them in my lockbox under my seat. I picked my FIL up post haste and hightailled it out of NJ.

Now I'm extremely conscious of what I have on me and the chances I may need to cross a bridge to the wastelands.

I'm curious though, if I were to have been pulled over or gotten in an accident, what rights would the police have to unlock a locked box in my car?
    Last edited by kx90; October 10th, 2008 at 03:25 PM.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Living in PA with LTCF, with the need to go a mile into NJ...

Quote Originally Posted by kx90 View Post
    I know the obvious and lawful answer to this question is: Just leave it at home. However, I'm curious enough to see if there is a legal way around this issue.

The other day as I was leaving work my wife called me and said "My dad is at the Trenton train station and needs a ride, can you go pick him up?". Without a second thought I said sure. Well, as I was going over the bridge I thought "Holy Crap! My pistol is in my gear bag sitting next to me in the passenger seat!". I figured the chances of me getting stopped were slim to none, however I did remove the pistol and extra mag and put them in my lockbox under my seat. I picked my FIL up post haste and hightailled it out of NJ.

Now I'm extremely conscious of what I have on me and the chances I may need to cross a bridge to the wastelands.

I'm curious though, if I were to have been pulled over or gotten in an accident, what rights would the police have to unlock a locked box in my car?
    Can't answer the question, however this is a link to the NJ State Police firearm laws for transporting a firearm into/through NJ: http://www.njsp.org/about/fire_trans.html

There was a case in August where a Pa LTCF holder was involved in an accident in NJ, the police "found" a gun in his console, he was arrested for illegal possession of a handgun.

http://blogs.phillyburbs.com/news/bc...in-westampton/

Man charged with gun possession following accident in Westampton
    Posted in News on Wednesday, August 27th, 2008 at 11:48 am

A Pennsylvania man was injured in an accident in Westampton Tuesday and then charged with unlawful possession of a loaded handgun, police said.

According to investigators, Gary Jones, 30, of Glenside, Pa. was the driver of a vehicle that collided with another car yesterday afternoon at the intersection of Springside and Valley Farm Roads.

Following the 4:21 p.m. accident, officers located a 10 mm handgun in the console of Jones car, police said. The gun was loaded with hollow-point bullets, police said. Jones had a permit to carry the weapon in Pennsylvania, but New Jersey law does not permit him to bring the gun to New Jersey, police said.

Jones, who required medical treatment for head, neck and leg injuries, was charged with unlawful possession of a handgun and possession of penetrating bullets. He was released on undisclosed bail conditions, police said.

Motorists in the second vehicle - driver Dana Brown, 32, and passenger Mila Brown, 7, both of Willingboro - also suffered injuries in the accident. Police did not specify if they were taken to a hospital and their conditions were not available.

(Philadelphia County)

Answer yourself this question: Is what I have to do in New Jersey worth multiple felony convictions and potentially years upon years in jail?

If the answer is no, do not bring anything firearm related to New Jersey, a hollowpoint .22LR round is enough to make you a felon.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    Answer yourself this question: Is what I have to do in New Jersey worth multiple felony convictions and potentially years upon years in jail?

If the answer is no, do not bring anything firearm related to New Jersey, a hollowpoint .22LR round is enough to make you a felon.
    Simply amazing.

(Bucks County)

Yeah, I gotcha. A simple brain fart on my part could've ended up really bad.

I won't be making that mistake twice I can tell you that.

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post

Not to mention those arrests and convictions will force you to sell your guns and never be able to own, possess or have control of a firearm ever again.

Simply not worth it. Next time call him a cab and pay for it yourself when he gets to you.

(Bucks County)

I drive a Ford Escape, so the trunk is "open". I was thinking of putting (2) safes or lockboxes in the back so that when I do need to go to NJ for some odd reason I have the proper requirements for travel.

I just have to make sure I don't stop anywhere.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by kx90 View Post
    I drive a Ford Escape, so the trunk is "open". I was thinking of putting (2) safes or lockboxes in the back so that when I do need to go to NJ for some odd reason I have the proper requirements for travel.

I just have to make sure I don't stop anywhere.
    I don't think that makes you legal at all if you are going TO somewhere in NJ. Now if you are going to CN or RI by driving THROUGH the communist state of NJ you would be OK. Federal law provides for this right but not within the state of NJ.

I am not trying to split hairs with you but I wanted to be sure that we were n't putting confusing info out there for others.

ARG.....NJ again. I had to go there today. I didn't even carry my knife, I have no idea what is legal there since so much isn't. Everytime I thought about the fact I was unarmed I felt wrong. As it turned out I needed my knife but had a utility knife so I got 'er done. True to my word, I didn't leave a dime in jersey except for the toll to get out. I hate NJ. I have to venture to Trenton from time to time, right into the heart of the worst part. On top of that my fiancee works there at a hospital. The most dangerous city around and we have to go unable to defend ourselves.

(Bucks County)

Consider NJ another Country because it is. USSNJ

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast