Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Exclamation New Movies Says Guns are Bad

This is an e-mail I just received from GunsAmerica. Let me know what you think. -BB

Hi Everyone.
    I would just like to warn gun owners and especially hunters to NOT BUY a movie on the rack at Wal-Mart this week called "The Iron Giant" for your kids. It looks like a great movie and overall it actually is, but it demonizes deer hunters and guns in general. It is THE WORST I have seen to date. The focus on the gun and say "guns kill" over and over again. The whole point of the movie is that the robot doesn't want to be a gun.

If you don't want to be surprized by a movie you innocently bought for your kids, avoid it, really. They could have introduced the concept of death to the big robot any number of ways, but the Hollywood elitists chose to use deer hunters.

These hypocrite trained monkeys probably went to lunch at Arbys everyday to eat a cow that someone else killed for them, WITHOUT A GUN.

Blech blech blech why can't these idiots understand that America has real problems, and none of them have to do with hunters or guns.

-ga

This is an official GunsAmerica Email Notification.
    Last edited by gander215; October 10th, 2008 at 04:05 AM.
    The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil.
    -Ted Nugent

(York County)

Default Re: New Movies Says Guns are Bad

What are you doing brian?
    3%

I really liked "The Iron Giant", which struck me as more of an anti-government cartoon, with themes of individual choice, why it's bad to be an unthinking informer, why you need to look past the surface and see the truth, why "different" is not the same as "bad", why the biggest guy on the block is not necessarily the baddest guy on the block (it would be nice if the rest of the world realized that when they look at the big, bad USA), and the quiet self-sacrifice that defines a hero. The "good guy" dies alone and far away for the sake of people who he mostly doesn't even know, many of whom are not particularly worth dying for, but he does it because it needs doing and he can get it done.

The trials at Nuremburg were a seminal point in human thinking, where we established that you don't shoot just because the guy who drafted you tells you to shoot, that you need to establish that the target needs killing, because death is final. I see a bit of that in "The Iron Giant", too. Someone misuses the military and a nuke is launched, and it takes a hero to stop the slaughter of innocents.

When the giant turns into a weapon, he loses volitional control and becomes a true automaton, just a mindless killer. He even loses his face as I recall, a symbolic showing that "he" is no longer who or what he was. Personally, I'm against mindless killing, and I'm a machinegun owner with many cases of ammo sitting around.

You shoot a deer, and that deer is dead. Sure, the cartoon could have had some rabbit get hit by a car, or a diseased bird fall out of the sky, or maybe a bank robbery where some passerby is OC'ing and shoots the bad guy dead, but nothing is quite so poetic and sudden as a good Bambi-style killing of a healthy animal, turning it instantaneously from dimwitted lord of the forest into a pile of meat and bones.

It's actually one of my favorite movies. The scene where he waits for the oncoming nuke makes me a little weepy. "super...maaan...."

I think that you should watch it again, and savor the parables. Just because a movie includes scenes of people using or misusing guns, that doesn't make it a bad movie, or even an anti-gun movie. "Dirty Harry", "The Outlaw Josie Wales", "A Bridge Too Far", the list goes on and on of movies where violence is good and bad.

(Philadelphia County)

Daaaaamn GunLawyer! That was beautiful!

I second everything you said. "The Iron Giant" is a fantastic movie, and not showing it to your children is like those parents who don't allow their kids to participate in Halloween, or even celebrate their birthdays.

Don't do that to your kids, they'll turn out messed up.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Philadelphia County)

I have to sat that the Iron Giant is the BEST Vin Diesel movie to date.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Philadelphia County)

GA just made a bunch of people go out and rent/buy "The Iron Giant". Since when did you let someone else tell you what to let your kids watch and not watch? Since when did you make decision without actually knowing the facts (that is have ALREADY watched the movie yourself)? I am sorry, but blaming a movie for your kids' ultimate decision-making process, especially on guns, is inexcusable. The email is patronizing at best and paranoid-condescending at worst.

Regards,
    Al

PS:

(Berks County)

Didn't we have a thread on this already this week?
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    Didn't we have a thread on this already this week?

A couple of them in fact. I even reported this one to the mods, since it was worded exactly the same as the other one. Nothing against the OP (we've been friends for years) but I was begining to think someone had accessed the server and this was a phishing type thing. I saw the "Iron Giant" and didnot see the Anti-hunting aspect. I saw Anti-big government themes.

Dave
    3%

(Lehigh County)

hey, did you folks hear about this email that says not to let your kids watch "The Iron Giant"

lemme see if I can find a link...
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Philadelphia County)

Oh yeah, that and the fact that it came out in like, the 90's.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast