Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default Computer guys, I need an adapter

I am getting a new laptop, it comes sans serial port, which isn't a big suprise and wouldn't even be an issue if it weren't for my Garmin GPS. Garmin has a cable that corrects the problem, for the low, low price of $59.99. That seems a little rediculous to me. I know there are cheaper ones out there, the new laptop is running vista premium, can somebody point me to a quality, inexpensive adapter? I'd prefer one that doesn't even have a cable, just the ends, but I'd take cheaper over compact
    Upper Adams Fish and Game www.uafg.org

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Computer guys, I need an adapter

so you need a Serial to USP converter?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812156003

that work? if not I'm sure its on that site
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Cumberland County)

That would work, but the first review says it doesn't work with Vista home premium
    Upper Adams Fish and Game www.uafg.org

(Monroe County)

There are a bunch of others... I don't see how an adapter would work or not work with a certain OS (then again it is MS...)

Typically its the device that doesn't work... either way there are a bunch of them on the site
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Chester County)

I work on machinery and most of it has a serial port so I have been using USB to serial converters for quite a while. Some work and some do not, no rhyme or reason, they just do or don't. I think some of it has to do with the way the program that is trying to communicate handles the data. I have been using an IOGear GUC232A with about the best success. I got it at a place called Microcenter, here locally but I believe they are on the web. I have spent hours on the phone with tech support with no success only to try a different adapter and it works the first try. I work with a lot of different programs so this is an on-going issue but if you just need it to communicate with the same couple of devices it will be a lot simpler. Make sure the drivers for the device are the most current and the comm settings for the port on your computer and the settings in the program you are trying to use are the same.

(Delaware County)

Here is a couple under 20 bucs the more expensive comes with vista drivers and is MS certified and signed driver. The other one says vista drivers available.

http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cabl...99%2C601%2C461

http://www.usbgear.com/USBG-232MINI.html
    Last edited by bigboy3l; October 10th, 2008 at 08:59 AM.