Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Recoil Springs for the Xd's?

I was wondering if anyone had much experience in changing out recoil springs in their firearms or XD's. I shoot an XD-45 Tactical in .45 ACP and was just curious about how well they worked as far as reducing recoil for follow up shots. I'm not really recoil sensitive but if that helps me put the second shot on the paper faster and more accurately, I'm game.

I'm more interested in it for the .40 S&W, since a young lady I know would like a softer shooting pistol because of weaker wrists, and that is the gun I think she'll probably end up going with. I've heard that the factory spring is around an #18, and was considering a #22 or #24 for her. I was curious to see if anybody had any cycling problems with the #24 spring using standard loads. I've also heard that a heavier recoil spring makes the slide harder to rack back, so although it might reduce the recoil, I was wondering if the gun was pretty hard to initially cock with a #24 spring. Anyone with some experience in the matter is much appreciated. Also if anybody knows much about guide rods, I'd be more than happy to hear about that to. Thank ya.

Hey, Tommy...in my experience with adding a heavier recoil spring to a pistol will also make it more difficult to rack the slide. I added a heavier recoil spring to my G23c and it took time to adjust. Is your friend going to be just shooting the 40S&W pistol at the range or also going to be using it for CCW? She might want a Glock that is compensated to reduce recoil and all she would need to do is buy another standard barrel for CCW...that way she can have the best of both worlds. If you are looking for an aftermarket guide rod...I bought one from a dude in OR I believe...his website is www.jackashcustom.com He makes SS guide rods for CZs and Steyr pistols, but I am sure he can make one for the XD. Final thought, if you are going to replace the recoil spring...get the Wolff at www.gunsprings.com

I'm very strong, so I don't think adding a different recoil spring would be too much of a big deal for me, I just didn't want it to slow down the action too much. I plan on carrying my pistol, even though it is a tactical model, I'm going to sacrifice a bit of concealment for accuracy, I'm a marksman. Do you think it might make the gun less reliable if I added a #22? I was just considering something that might make a follow-up shot easier and faster.

My friend doesn't want a range gun, she primarily wants a CCW and home protection pistol. She's just a very small girl, as in 105 lbs and has very small and weaker wrists. I don't mind compensated pistols, I just don't know how practical it would be to carry, and I know she'd like to not have to buy another barrel. I'm not the biggest fan of ported guns for CCW, and so that's why I was looking at some other alternatives. That is part of the reason I was wondering if anybody had a wife, gf, or ladies here that had experience with a different recoil spring, to see how hard the slide was to rack. Thank you for the links, I'll definately check those out since I'm going to be buying some new parts. Take care Sy, and I"ll be in touch.

(Bucks County)

Tomcat, the friendly folks at Springfield Armory should be able to help you with your questions. You can call toll free at 1 800 680 6866 or visit www.springfield-armory.com

Thank you for the number mike, I didn't even think to look in my manual for that number, everything is much appreciated.

Well, I contacted the people at Springfield, and they really didn't have much to tell me. I will add that they were very courteous and I didn't have to wait on the phone for more than maybe 3 minutes total, so they handled it in a very timely fashion. They told me that the spring on my XD 45 tactical should never need replacing, since on the 5" model it is never fully compressed. I asked her if a 22# spring might affect the cycling of the pistol, and she told me they currently had not done any testing on it. So anyone that has actually changed the recoil in their spring, your input would be valuable.

(Delaware County)

Default Suggest that you might try xdtalk.com

I too have a XD-45 that I just made my primary carry handgun. I have the 4in model. You might want to try searching the www.xdtalk.com site for answers. I have seen this exact topic often discussed for the XD9 and XD40 but I don't recall posts yet on the XD-45. SOme of the regulars on the site seem like real XD nuts. I mean that kindly.

I have been visit this site often while I was trying to decide on my next handgun purchase. Now that I decided on the XD-45 I wil be a regular reader.

Good luck with the new handgun and Be Safe.

(Philadelphia County)

I think the people who run PistolGear.com might be able to help you.

If pistorgear.com doesn work, just google Pistolgear.com and the right variance will show up.

I bought from them three mags for my XD, at a third of the price that SPGA wanted, and about half of what SA wanted.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791