Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Few Questions

(Butler County)

Default Few Questions

I am new to hunting and will be going tfor my forst time this year Rifle only a couple questions i have
    1 When is the last day i can get my hunting licence;
    2 when buying my licence what do i ask for in the store.
    3 what the best rifle for hunting Shotgun or bolt action
    4 is there anything else i should knwo i did take teh safety class

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Few Questions

Quote Originally Posted by XDFirefighter View Post
    I am new to hunting and will be going tfor my forst time this year Rifle only a couple questions i have
    1 When is the last day i can get my hunting licence;
    2 when buying my licence what do i ask for in the store.
    3 what the best rifle for hunting Shotgun or bolt action
    4 is there anything else i should knwo i did take teh safety class
    1. You can buy it up until early-mid next year I believe, long after rifle season is over and I think after spring turkey is over.

2. Ask for a hunting license, in PA you'll get the standard which allows a single antlered buck harvest during the 2 week rifle season and 1 single turkey. as well as removing pests like ground hogs and crows.

3. You'll get a huge number of options here and it depends on where you live, I'd suggest getting a shotgun with a rifled barrel in pump as its only a matter of time before the whole state goes to a shotgun only. plus shotgun works for small game, birds, turkey... etc so you get more bang for you buck just by changing barrels.

4. Take the card with you. Get it done soon as you need to sight in your gun also hope you know where you are hunting.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    1. You can buy it up until early-mid next year I believe, long after rifle season is over and I think after spring turkey is over.

2. Ask for a hunting license, in PA you'll get the standard which allows a single antlered buck harvest during the 2 week rifle season and 1 single turkey. as well as removing pests like ground hogs and crows.

3. You'll get a huge number of options here and it depends on where you live, I'd suggest getting a shotgun with a rifled barrel in pump as its only a matter of time before the whole state goes to a shotgun only. plus shotgun works for small game, birds, turkey... etc so you get more bang for you buck just by changing barrels.

4. Take the card with you. Get it done soon as you need to sight in your gun also hope you know where you are hunting.
    You can get your license any where up until Jan 31. After that you have to get it from the PGC Office or your County Treasurer.

Just like he said ask for a hunting license. Have you DL and Hunter's Safety Card. If you want, you can get other stamps then or later.

As for your antlerless license goes 2A, 2B and 5D are the only ones that have licenses left. Not sure if you are in the east(2D) or west(1A) part of Butler but they are out of Antlerless tags in both WMU. No special regs in either for firearms, but you are in the four point to one side area for both WMU's.

What ever you feel more comfortable shooting is fine. Shotgun or rifle. Rifled shotguns are great and the new sabots are producing awesome results. You almost have the same distance with them.....about 250yrds max as you do with a rifle. As for rifles I would say either a .270 or a 30/06 would be your best bet. Every mom and pop shop has the ammo and there are many bullet types and weights to choose from. Or the old tried and true 30-30 same goes for that round too you can get it anywhere.

Hurry Hurry times a ticking. Get everything sighted in early so there are no worries and your not pressed for time. Do it right and there will be no worries.

GOOD LUCK

-BB
    The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil.
    -Ted Nugent

(Chester County)

Assuming you just took the safety course, hence your question regarding how long to buy the license. Next year buy your license in July so you can get the appropriate doe license applications(if you plan to hunt does). Buying early saves alot of hassles over waiting last minute. I've been in stores that sell hunting licenses, and the day or two before deer season you would not imagine the amount of last minute buyers. Alot of times some get turned away because the store has run out. Why wait when you can buy it early and avoid the hassle.

Get yourself an inexpensive pump action shotgun like say a Mossberg 500, to use on small game and for deer if in special regs areas where rifles are not allowed. You can also buy a rifle if you are so inclined. In that case you need to determine what action and caliber suits you. There are so many out there that its hard to recommend one type over another unless you know the shooter's intentions and desires.