Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: -BORE SIGHT-

(Luzerne County)

Default -BORE SIGHT-

Hi; I'm looking at bore sights, (laser & scope). There seems to be a number of
    them in the ($30.00 to $40.00) range.
    I'm a little scepticle at this point, and was wondering if anyone had used
    one of these, and what were the results. Any thoughts or suggestions ?.
    It wasn't me. I didn't do it. And I'll never do it again.

Default Re: -BORE SIGHT-

I've never used one. On my AR & AK (or weapon without a removable bolt) I just started at 25yrds, adjusted, 50yrds adjusted etc..

On a bolt gun I just rest the rifle on sandbags, look thru the bore and adjust the optic.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil but, because of the people who do nothing about them."
    - Albert Einstein

(Bucks County)

I have one from Tasco. Works great. Comes with arbors from .17 to .45. It gets you real close for your first shot, usually within 2-3 inches.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay5oh View Post
    On a bolt gun I just rest the rifle on sandbags, look thru the bore and adjust the optic.
    i do the same... and i start at 100yds... pretty easy to be on paper @ 100yds just looking through the bore, then i take a couple shots and adjust from there

(Cumberland County)

I have an optical boresite (collimator) and use it quite often. It allows me to install the scope on the bench and get it close enough to print on paper when I get to the range. It works very well but it has some good and bad points.

The ones that they sell with the fixed arbors are good for most work (90% of the time) but the collimator sits a fixed distance above the center of the barrel. While there is some leeway in scope height, if the scope sits too high or low to look directly into the device, you will not be able to get a good sighting. For example: if you are trying to sight a red dot or some other sighting device, it may or may not work very well. The magnetic collimators may allow a greater latitude in scope height and may be a better choice.

The collimator is good for checking a scope that has been sighted in. Record the reading once you have completed sighting it in at the range and you can check to make sure the setting is correct at a later date. If the rifle has been dropped or rattled around in the trunk on the way to deer camp, it is a good way to check that it is still sighted in.

I do not own a laser bore sight but I have seen others try to use them at the range. On a bright sunny day they are difficult if not impossible to see down range and I would think that that might limit their effectiveness.

These are just my own observations. Please remember that free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it. Your mileage may vary.

Good Luck,
    Mark

i was working with the leupold "zero point magnetic" boresight... and love it!

it is VERY cool, and was accurate as a boresight can be...
    This Space For Rent

(Northampton County)

The collimator is good for checking a scope that has been sighted in. Record the reading once you have completed sighting it in at the range and you can check to make sure the setting is correct at a later date. If the rifle has been dropped or rattled around in the trunk on the way to deer camp, it is a good way to check that it is still sighted in.
    +1000....When finished mounting a new scope, I use the laser to get close. Once sighted in and tweaked at the range, I use the collimator to record set point. Deer season comes, all rifles get borescoped, 3 rounds punched through paper and put back in safe, ready to use until I take them for a walk.
    http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w186/amamruoy/sigline-1-1-1-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jay5oh View Post
    I've never used one. On my AR & AK (or weapon without a removable bolt) I just started at 25yrds, adjusted, 50yrds adjusted etc..

I'm not Barrak Obama, (thank God) but I approve this method
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Cambria County)

I've used laser bore sights on a number of occasions. They are handy because you can get your sights/optics pretty close to zero before even going to the range. Zeroing with the bore sight in the 'back yard' means that range time can be optimized.

Also, the bore sight is handy for a quick zero in a pinch. For example, if an optical aiming device suffers a big impact, it is quick and easy to verify if the zero was knocked way off or not.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carnes View Post
    I've used laser bore sights on a number of occasions. They are handy because you can get your sights/optics pretty close to zero before even going to the range. Zeroing with the bore sight in the 'back yard' means that range time can be optimized.

Also, the bore sight is handy for a quick zero in a pinch. For example, if an optical aiming device suffers a big impact, it is quick and easy to verify if the zero was knocked way off or not.
    I have a cullminator type bore site. I have also started to use the cartridge type laser site. I currently have a .223 and a 300 win mag sleeve for it.

The only thing I don't like is handling the small batteries.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.