Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Best Pittsburgh neighboring county for non-resident LTCF

I’m flying up to visiting my daughter who has chosen to live and work in a Pittsburgh. SC/PA do not have reciprocity. My plan is to dedicate a day to getting non-resident LTCF for wife and me as we will be visiting regularly. (Both have concealed weapon permits from SC) From PAFOA site: Fayette, Westmoreland, Somerset, Indiana, Armstrong are good to go. Allegheny, Butler, Washington, and Beaver are not friendly.

I’d like to get in and out with license in hand. Of these supposedly non-resident friendly counties, are some likely to be worth the extra drive?

Thanks for any insights.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Best Pittsburgh neighboring county for non-resident LTCF

What area of Pittsburgh?
    North? South? West? East?

Doesn't make any sense to drive all the way across the county if you don't have to.
    Knowing the starting point should help us help you.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

We’ll be staying in North Shore Hyatt.
    Thanks.

Updating.

I got issued permit in Westmoreland County but not before experiencing a case of the yips. They seemed closer to where I was staying and were shown on PAFOA as reasonable place for non-resident. I called ahead. Officer I spoke to said I need to bring letter to Sheriff Held setting forth reasons for needing carry and that “self-defense” was acceptable. Explained that I had daughter living in Pittsburgh and he confirmed that Allegheny was not issuing non-resident permits. So, I wrote my letter and showed up with $20 bill at Greenburg courthouse basement.

There was a woman deputy on duty and when I got called up, I introduced myself and told her the same story that I’d told her colleague. She explained that I was in the wrong county and that I needed to go to Allegheny County for Pittsburgh carry. I explained that Allegheny would not issue. She replied that permits in PA were issued by county and their permit was only good for Westmoreland. So, I said, “my understanding is that the License to Carry was a permit valid throughout the Commonwealth. And she did that was incorrect. Asked me what I wanted to do?

I told her that I would like one of her Westmoreland County permits. She took my picture, letter, DL, SC CWP, and $20 (made copies) and said I’d get my permit via mail, if the Sheriff thought I was entitled to one.

My PA LTC permit arrived in the mail a week later.

Yet another anecdote that supports the old adage. Law enforcement officers are not the most reliable sources to go for finding out what’s in the actual law book.

Quote Originally Posted by Jscookjr View Post
    Updating.

I got issued permit in Westmoreland County but not before experiencing a case of the yips. They seemed closer to where I was staying and were shown on PAFOA as reasonable place for non-resident. I called ahead. Officer I spoke to said I need to bring letter to Sheriff Held setting forth reasons for needing carry and that “self-defense” was acceptable. Explained that I had daughter living in Pittsburgh and he confirmed that Allegheny was not issuing non-resident permits. So, I wrote my letter and showed up with $20 bill at Greenburg courthouse basement.

There was a woman deputy on duty and when I got called up, I introduced myself and told her the same story that I’d told her colleague. She explained that I was in the wrong county and that I needed to go to Allegheny County for Pittsburgh carry. I explained that Allegheny would not issue. She replied that permits in PA were issued by county and their permit was only good for Westmoreland. So, I said, “my understanding is that the License to Carry was a permit valid throughout the Commonwealth. And she did that was incorrect. Asked me what I wanted to do?

I told her that I would like one of her Westmoreland County permits. She took my picture, letter, DL, SC CWP, and $20 (made copies) and said I’d get my permit via mail, if the Sheriff thought I was entitled to one.

My PA LTC permit arrived in the mail a week later.

Yet another anecdote that supports the old adage. Law enforcement officers are not the most reliable sources to go for finding out what’s in the actual law book.
    Hello there,

I'm a South Carolina resident and have my CWP. I am flying into Pittsburgh this week to see my son and would like to get my non-resident permit taken care of since I will be making these trips frequently for the foreseeable future. Which location did you go to and what was the wording of your letter? I'm going to have limited time to get this taken care of and I'm hoping to avoid any hiccups.

Thank you!

(Bucks County)

I
    Quote Originally Posted by js75 View Post
    Hello there,

I'm a South Carolina resident and have my CWP. I am flying into Pittsburgh this week to see my son and would like to get my non-resident permit taken care of since I will be making these trips frequently for the foreseeable future. Which location did you go to and what was the wording of your letter? I'm going to have limited time to get this taken care of and I'm hoping to avoid any hiccups.

Thank you!
    I know you ain’t gonna like this, but, how about you start with telling your elected representatives in South Carolina to honor OUR permits in your state, and then we can honor yours here?

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    I

I know you ain’t gonna like this, but, how about you start with telling your elected representatives in South Carolina to honor OUR permits in your state, and then we can honor yours here?
    It's not that simple. There are already states that recognize our LTCFs that do not have true "reciprocity" (We don't recognize theirs). Unless the law is changed, our AG determines which states are worthy of having their licenses honored here, even if they already recognize ours.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Beaver County)

I don’t know what’s going on in this thread but....
    I just wanted to say it takes me longer to park and walk into the Beaver County court house than it does for the sheriff’s department to issue my LTCF.

I don’t know if it’s different for yinz outta towners but for most Beaver County residents I know it’s the same as my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    I

I lived in Pittsburgh for 20 years. Contacting my elected representatives regarding PA/SC reciprocity was one of the first things I did when I moved down here. Unfortunately, doing so was as unhelpful as your response.

Quote Originally Posted by spartakis252 View Post
    I don’t know what’s going on in this thread but....
    I just wanted to say it takes me longer to park and walk into the Beaver County court house than it does for the sheriff’s department to issue my LTCF.

I don’t know if it’s different for yinz outta towners but for most Beaver County residents I know it’s the same as my experience.
    Well, it looks like I'll be trying my luck with Beaver County. Here's what Allegheny County's sheriff page says:

"The ACSO will NOT accept applications for Non-PA or Non-Allegheny County Residents."

This site can change Allegheny County from "Unknown" to "No" for NR permits.