Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question New Hampshire Permit OK in Pennsylvania?

I am a Canadian and would like to do some handgun hunting for deer in PA this fall (2007). I have a valid NON RESIDENT New Hampshire pistol/revolver license (carry permit) and am wondering if it is honored in PA by Sherriff's Officers, State Troopers, Conservation Officers, etc. WITHOUT HASSLE. I know there is a reciprocity agreement between NH & PA but what it says on paper and what happens in the field are sometimes two different things. I do not like close encounters of the legal kind when I am on a hunting trip. Please advise.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: New Hampshire Permit OK in Pennsylvania?

Danp has put together a nice guide that covers what states do and do not honor our permits and the other way around.

Check it out here.

FYI, Yes, NH honors PA and vice-versa.

As for getting hasssled? Who knows. People report getting a lot of hassle in Philadelphia. You're best bet is to call the local police or sheriff, lay out your scenario and see what they say.

Danp also has a county-by-county DB on sheriffs. Check and see if you can find a number for yours. http://www.pafoa.org/county-list/page/counties.html
    Last edited by D-FENS; March 4th, 2007 at 11:04 AM.
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

From what I understand, PA does not recognize Non Resident NH permits, just resident NH permits due to the fact that PA only issues Non Resident permits if said permit holder has a permit issue in his/her home state. Are you a US citizen? What is your address on your NH NR Permit?

Call the PA Attorney General's office is Harrisburg to confirm.

(Philadelphia County)

other way around, NH doesn't recognize non-res PA permits. PA will recognize non-res NH permits. We don't have a law differentiating the two, they do.

Lightbulb Re: New Hampshire Permit OK in Pennsylvania?

The actual Reciprocity Agreement states verbatim:

"The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania will recognize valid New Hampshire permits to carry concealed
    firearms by valid permit holders while said permit holders are present in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania."

The language above seems pretty clear to me......the phrase "valid New Hampshire permits" does NOT DIFFERENTIATE in any way between those issued to residents or non-residents of New Hampshire. The only requirement is that they are VALID (not expired or revoked).

The original thrust of my query was to inquire how this was being handled by actual LEOs in the field where practise has been known to be quite different from theory and what the DEMONSTRATED attitude of local LEOs was toward non-residents, and in particular non-resident aliens "packing iron". If I were charged I would win in court because the law is quite clear but who needs to spend their hunting season in a jail cell &/or courtroom and not to mention the cost. I was wondering if anyone has had any good or bad encounters with local LEOs as non-residents with out of state permits while carrying in PA.

(Philadelphia County)

Carry a copy of the law with you or e-mail the state attorney general with a specific question like "may i carry my concealed handgun in the state of Pennsylvania with my non-resident New Hampshire permit?" Request they respond to you by mail, the letter will be a clear trump card to any cop ignorant of the law (there's a lot of them).

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/theoffice.aspx?id=71

The way i figure it, if the cop continues to arrest you or harass you about your gun after seeing the very clearly stated letter, he's guilty of official oppression (though good luck finding anyone to prosecute).
    Last edited by MarcS; March 4th, 2007 at 10:54 PM.

Talking Re: New Hampshire Permit OK in Pennsylvania?

MarcS:

You made a good suggestion which I immediately followed up by emailing and requesting that the PA AG's office send an affirmation of their position in writing on PA AG letterhead to my residential address way up here in Canada. Wonder if I'll get a reply??

DOUG PRICE

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by pricedo2 View Post
    MarcS:

You made a good suggestion which I immediately followed up by emailing and requesting that the PA AG's office send an affirmation of their position in writing on PA AG letterhead to my residential address way up here in Canada. Wonder if I'll get a reply??

DOUG PRICE
    I've written them several times and always get a reply within the course of a few weeks.

(Chester County)

C'mon guys, the folks in the AG's office are busy enough as it is without having to deal with letters from us gunnies about settled issues.

Pa. doesn't distinguish between Resident/Non-Resident permits for any state.

If you're really worried, print out a copy of the reciprocity agreement and carry it with you.

If you run into an officer dumb enough to ignore such a clear rule, PM me and I'll deal with it for you, gratis, if you're in SE Pa.

Last edited by Rule10b5; March 5th, 2007 at 09:56 AM.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

Thumbs up Re: New Hampshire Permit OK in Pennsylvania?

Rule10b5:

Point taken. I'll carry the Reciprocity Agreement hardcopy and the letter from the PA AGs office should it arrive. Hope you're number is in the yellow pages if I'm unlucky enough to run into the one Barney Fife on the force who didn't exactly graduate at the top of his police academy class!

Maybe I'll see you on the trails during the buck season.

Thanx,

pricedo2 "The Cannuck"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast