Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cz Shadow 2

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Cz Shadow 2

One important thing to note is that the Shadow 2 does not have an "automatic firing pin block safety." This is according to CZ, as the pistol was built for competition, not defense. That "half cock" hammer position is the correct place for the hammer to be when the pistol is not cocked and locked. If the hammer is resting on the firing pin and the pistol is loaded, a sharp impact could send a round unexpectedly.

I have run a Shadow 2 for almost a year now in 3 gun, steel challenge, club action pistol matches and a couple of classes at Sig Sauer Academy in NH. I have never had an issue with it. It is either loaded, cocked and locked or empty.

Sauce link below...

https://www.czub.cz/en/blog/2016/03/14/cz-shadow-2/
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Allegheny County)

Thanks - interesting read
    I bought this gun due to my hand issues as I find my other Cz doesn’t beat my hand up shooting as my polymer 9mms do (I do not compete) so I decided that 2 cz’s are better than one (-:
    What I didn’t know is about the firing pin block safety. - not that that is an issue due to being a range gun only but I don’t know what exactly that means. “Automatic” ? Vs ? Woukd this mean if between shots and the firearm was dropped that there is a high probability that the next round could discharge from impact ?
    Last edited by Just1more; February 7th, 2019 at 02:49 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    Thanks - interesting read
    I bought this gun due to my hand issues as I find my other Cz doesn’t beat my hand up shooting as my polymer 9mms do (I do not compete) so I decided that 2 cz’s are better than one (-:
    What I didn’t know is about the firing pin block safety. - not that that is an issue due to being a range gun only but I don’t know what exactly that means. “Automatic” ? Vs ? Woukd this mean if between shots and the firearm was dropped that there is a high probability that the next round could discharge from impact ?
    Yes if the hammer is decocked and resting all the way down on the firing pin.

(Montgomery County)

I do not remember what the internals look like and mine is sitting in my safe at home. However, I suspect they are referring to the firing pin block that gets pushed out of the way by a transfer bar or plunger. Removing such a device would significantly improve how a trigger feels.

Dropping a shadow 2 between shots would mean that the hammer was in the rearward and cocked position and very unlikely to fire if dropped. The problem comes if one has a round chambered, releases the hammer all the way down to resting on the firing pin and then some kind of impact befalls the pistol on that exact spot (the rear of the hammer). This is a very unlikely situation.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Allegheny County)

Ok that’s what I was thinking. I wouldn’t be decocking it fully for any reason I can think of anyways.
    Now with it cocked and locked - I need to figure out the internals to understand the safety on this gun.

(Chester County)

It is safe cocked and locked even without the firing pin block safety. My 1991 CZ-75 "Pre-B" is like this as well. My 75B, 75D PCR, and 97B all have the firing pin safety which the "B" designates. (The "D" is for Compact, but also has the firing pin block).

(Lehigh County)

Resurrecting this year-old thread because I just recently got a Shadow 2 of my own, and I do intend to carry it.

From the research I've done, it's as safe to carry cocked & locked as any older 1911 or BHP without a firing pin block. The Shadow 2 doesn't have a block, but it does have a perfectly effective firing pin stop plate. It is safe to carry with hammer fully down. When the hammer rests on the back of the firing pin, the pin is only pushed 2mm into its channel, whereupon the hammer is then resting on the plate surrounding the firing pin on the back of the slide (called the firing pin stop in the Shadow 2's parts schematic). At this point the firing pin is still recessed within its channel, not making any potential contact with a loaded cartridge, even with a proud primer. You can observe this by locking the slide back, and pushing the firing pin in from the rear with the end of any regular USB cable until the connector is pushed against the firing pin stop, and look at the bolt face.

As such, once the hammer has been very carefully lowered onto the firing pin stop, it is impossible for the gun to fire even if it's dropped from 20 feet right onto the hammer. The firing pin stop prevents it from imparting any forward motion to the (spring-captive) firing pin.

The biggest issue is that of potential human error, because if your thumb slips while lowering the hammer, that's an AD. I won't go so far as to say it is a negligent discharge, only because the manufacturer's instructions state this as the correct and only way to bring the gun into a loaded chamber, hammer-down condition for carry, if you prefer not to carry cocked & locked. But it is a procedure with potential for human error, and it would be foolhardy to not practice lowering the hammer frequently before doing so with a live round chambered, and even then I would advise lowering the hammer while pointing the muzzle at a sand bucket.

The manual also stipulates that half-cock is also a perfectly safe condition to carry the gun in, though there is potential for the safety to accidentally get flicked on and damage the pistol if you try firing it from half-cock with the safety engaged. The safety will not engage at all with the hammer fully down on the firing pin stop.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Delaware County)

I have always believed manually lowering the hammer of any firearm is foolhardy. Yes this was common place during the days of the Old West. But so was Slavery, a common occurrence long ago. My point being, we learn what is WRONG over time.

I don’t care if CZ has procedure for manual lowering of the hammer. It’s a foolish practice.
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
    I have always believed manually lowering the hammer of any firearm is foolhardy. Yes this was common place during the days of the Old West. But so was Slavery, a common occurrence long ago. My point being, we learn what is WRONG over time.

I don’t care if CZ has procedure for manual lowering of the hammer. It’s a foolish practice.
    Do whatever YOU are comfortable with. I'm fine with manually lowering the hammer on my CZ's as well as other pistols. Also, it has nothing to do with Slavery.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    Do whatever YOU are comfortable with. I'm fine with manually lowering the hammer on my CZ's as well as other pistols. Also, it has nothing to do with Slavery.
    ^^^^This!^^^^

and this...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast