Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Elk County)

Default Shoot to kill or stop the threat?

In the unlikely event one of us would have to draw and use our CCW, what would you do? Would you immediately try for a 'kill' shot (center mass or head) or would try for a wounding shot (leg, knee, shoulder, etc.) first hoping to stop the threat without a kill?

Above question is posed based on the assailant (lets say a mugger for these purposes) is approaching, holding a weapon as he demands your valuables and you make the decision to try and stop him using force (other means aren't applicable such as retreat, calling for help) as opposed to giving up the goods.

Would the legal ramifications be any different in a 'shooting to injure' case as opposed to a 'shooting to kill' case? (ie, would it be harder to defend yourself against one or the other?)

Also, my query is based on the fact that you do NOT think the BG will kill you after you shoot him (either you believe he'll drop the weapon, or he's got a blunt/bladed weapon that requires close range or you think a .45 will adequately disable him regardless of where hit; whatever the situation fear of loss of life on your part after the shooting isn't an issue, just to remove that from the equation). And for the purposes of this discussion lets say you are alone, late at night.

I ask because I was speaking with a friend who's also got a LTCF last night and he swears that if you were to make a disabling shot it would be far easier to defend yourself in court (legal system, civil court is anyone's guess).

Personally, I would take the center mass shot regardless of circumstances. If I'm drawing my sidearm on you, you've done something that you shouldn't have and I fear for my life/the lives of those that I love and won't leave any room for error (the BG getting a chance) but I was curious of other's opinions on this, honestly I never really thought about it before last night, always just thought to take the 'sure shot' as I was taught.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Shoot to kill or stop the threat?

For me, If wounding them is an option I have other means of defending myself besides a gun. If I need to draw my gun, and that doesn't bring the confrontation to an end, the next step is lethal force.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Lawrence County)

just for my own sanity, and i guess you could call it "peace of mind", i'd shoot to injure before i shot to kill. now, if the shot to injure did nothing to de-escalate the problem, then i would shoot to kill with no remorse. i think i would be too caught up in the moment though to think about ramifications... ("if i shot to kill could i get out of this in court?" would be the LAST THING on my mind in the moment.)

(Lancaster County)

Stopping the threat. When necessary beyond verbal and visual deterrence (drawing, etc.)it is by most effective incapacitation method possible. It is only an undesirable side effect that such happens to be fatal after the fact, however, my regard in an instance as it would be necessary is first and foremost the well being of that who I am protecting. Gunshot wounds are survivable thanks to modern medical care and that's where an attacker would be headed--away from me and my loved ones, incapable of inflicting further threat or injury so long as they are within any appreciable proximity inabling to do so. As to whether they live after that is between them, God, and the doctors, and the choice for it to come to that was theirs and not mine.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by mjfletcher View Post
    For me, If wounding them is an option I have other means of defending myself besides a gun. If I need to draw my gun, and that doesn't bring the confrontation to an end, the next step is lethal force.
    Yep. If I feel I can just wing someone I don't feel they are a great threat and the same can be accomplished by a nice solid roundhouse kick to the knee. If I draw my weapon it is with the intent to use lethal force. Any other use of a firearm can imply a less than deadly threat and bring into question the appropriate level of force needed to stop the assailant.

Also remember a wounded man can testify that he had no intent to rob you or cause you bodily harm. If there is a legitimate threat and you feel the need to use deadly force a dead mugger can not testify about his motives.
    Last edited by adymond; October 7th, 2008 at 03:34 PM.

(Elk County)

Great answers guys, thanks; some good food for thought.

But would you really be confident enough to attempt a roundhouse kick to the knee or other such unarmed tactics against a determined mugger with a weapon? If so, you're more confident then myself.

As I see it, if you have a weapon and are trying to do me harm I'm going to level the playing field with my own weapon ASAP.

(Montgomery County)

For Me, Shooting to Stop the Threat means 2 To the Center of Mass if possible. Less likelihood of a missed shot and hitting a bystander (innocent or not). I am not the lone ranger. I am defending my life and those I love.

If shooting to maim or incompacitate... then other options should have been available to you... and not deadly force (firing a weapon).

If you have to fire your weapon. It is always to stop the threat. never state that you shot to kill. You shot to stop the threat. One the threat was neutralized, you stopped firing and attempted to provide aide to the attacker (call 911 ASAP).

if it comes to it.

"Shoot until the action that led you to shooting stops"

If you hit "IT" in the shoulder and IT stops. Stop shooting.
    Shoot until IT stops.

ON the other hand. IF it's a 'home invasion' Shoot and keep shooting until they drop.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by walther View Post
    Great answers guys, thanks; some good food for thought.

But would you really be confident enough to attempt a roundhouse kick to the knee or other such unarmed tactics against a determined mugger with a weapon? If so, you're more confident then myself.

As I see it, if you have a weapon and are trying to do me harm I'm going to level the playing field with my own weapon ASAP.
    With proper training, confidence comes by itself. Even with only a small amount of training you can determine the level of skill your attacker has.

If the mugger has a knife, how is he holding it? Theres a right and wrong way to hold a knife in a fight. If hes holding it the wrong way, he only has one real option on how to use it and your legs are longer than his arms. If hes holding it the right way, he obviously knows what hes doing and trying to kick him will only get you cut badly.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Lycoming County)

Always shoot to stop. Stop the Action. Stop the threat. But always shoot to stop.
    “It's not a gun control problem; it's a cultural control problem.” Bob Barr

"I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun." Arnold Schwarzenegger

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast