Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Default Charges for discharging a firearm

I recently shot a dog that ran off its property into an alley and toward my family. We had our children with us as well as our small dog. It was acting aggressively. I have been charged with discharging a firearm inside a borough. If I plea and just pay the fine will it end my chances of getting a CCW permit again or purchasing firearms etc? I do have a lawyer, but I did not remember to ask him this today. The charges they are filing are reckless endangerment x2 and discharging the firearm. Seems as if they will take a plea for just discharging. This is all very preliminary. Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Charges for discharging a firearm

without knowing more info, it sounds to me like you need a better lawyer.
    Member: NJ "undocumented" Felons Club. NRA Life Member

You need a better lawyer. Taking what you posted at face value as the entire truth, you should never have never been charged in the first place.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpslcollins28 View Post
    I recently shot a dog that ran off its property into an alley and toward my family. We had our children with us as well as our small dog. It was acting aggressively. I have been charged with discharging a firearm inside a borough. If I plea and just pay the fine will it end my chances of getting a CCW permit again or purchasing firearms etc? I do have a lawyer, but I did not remember to ask him this today. The charges they are filing are reckless endangerment x2 and discharging the firearm. Seems as if they will take a plea for just discharging. This is all very preliminary. Any help would be appreciated.
    call your lawyer tomorrow or email him tonight, he should have an answer for you tomorrow as it is a work day.
    best of luck.

who were they saying you were recklessly endangering?
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by fallenleader View Post
    call your lawyer tomorrow or email him tonight, he should have an answer for you tomorrow as it is a work day.
    best of luck.

They are saying they can't say where the bullet ended up after leaving the dog and also because my kids were in the vacinity when I fired at the animal.

(Blair County)

you may need to talk to a gun lawyer they will know for sure if the charge will hurt your rights . your rights are hard to get back .

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by fallenleader View Post
    best of luck.

My recollection may be greatly expired, but "recklessly endangering" does not require a specific victim to be named. It's at least part of the reason why warning shots are a bad decision. I'm going to guess 2 shots were fired thereby giving them 2 counts of "Recklessly Endangering". I was surprised that there was no charge of "Cruelty to Animals" which may give credence to the OP's claim that the shots were justifiable?

I'm also thinking that the "discharging the firearm" is a summary ordinance violation?
    I am NOT a lawyer
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Allegheny County)

Unless your lawyer is versed in 2A issues, it's unlikely he would be concerned about how it affects your future rights.
    He's probably only concerned with reducing your charges and being paid for his services.

Certainly something to get cleared up before proceeding.

(Wayne County)

They are saying they can't say where the bullet ended up after leaving the dog and also because my kids were in the vacinity when I fired at the animal.
    How can a person simultaneously protect and endanger someone at the same time?

You need a better lawyer.

Gunlawyer001 is a member here and is located in Quakertown, which is not far from you. It would be in your best interest to contact him.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

ah, so they are saying you recklessly endangered your family trying to protect your family. that is what i thought they were trying to do.
    know your target and what is beyond and all that but seriously sounds like some crap they sat down at the desk with a book trying to find out what they could report.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    My recollection may be greatly expired, but "recklessly endangering" does not require a specific victim to be named. It's at least part of the reason why warning shots are a bad decision. I'm going to guess 2 shots were fired thereby giving them 2 counts of "Recklessly Endangering". I was surprised that there was no charge of "Cruelty to Animals" which may give credence to the OP's claim that the shots were justifiable?

I'm also thinking that the "discharging the firearm" is a summary ordinance violation?
    I am NOT a lawyer
    i also am happy to see there isnt yet surprised not to see some PETA B.S. charge in there.

as for gun lawyers, there are a few on the site and i keep phil and joshua #'s and emails in my phone because if shtf they should be able to help, hopefully they take discover...
    and since your newish, if you ever see Gunlawyer001/Moderator slowly and quietly back out of the thread.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast