Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Berkheimer

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Berkheimer

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Wait, let me get this straight... you guys are suggesting that the government can collect and process taxes more cheaply and efficiently than a contracting firm? Do you realize how silly that sounds?
    If it's that "silly" of an idea.....then why wouldn't the State turn over their collections to a private concern and the same with the Fed's and the IRS?

If Berkheimer is relying 100% on the State of Pennsylvania to check and see if everyone filed their local.....exactly what is Berkheimer doing that the State isn't already doing? Tack on the additional 1% to the State income tax return and be done with it.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltrap View Post
    If it's that "silly" of an idea.....then why wouldn't the State turn over their collections to a private concern and the same with the Fed's and the IRS?

If Berkheimer is relying 100% on the State of Pennsylvania to check and see if everyone filed their local.....exactly what is Berkheimer doing that the State isn't already doing? Tack on the additional 1% to the State income tax return and be done with it.
    ...for the same reason they don’t turn the USPS over to a private contractor. They’d put tens of thousands of government employees out of work.

EVERYTHING the government does can be done more efficiently and economically in the private sector.

(Westmoreland County)

...for the same reason they don’t turn the USPS over to a private contractor. They’d put tens of thousands of government employees out of work.

EVERYTHING the government does can be done more efficiently and economically in the private sector.
    I agree with you on the application of some of that though. But when it comes to Pa personal income tax, it doesn't apply. Most of the Pa income tax is withheld from wages and paid to the state by employers. Most of the local taxes are the same.....withheld and paid to for profit local collectors. The State then pays school districts and municipality's their share.

How could another layer of cost possibly be "more effective" than what the State is doing? Let's see.....the local collector pays for facility rent, computer hardware and software, employees, phone systems and monthly cost. Plus the local collector takes his cut. The state already has this taken care of.

Me thinks the Harrisburg politician is providing a job for his special buddies. At the cost of us.....the taxpayers.

(Bucks County)

I'm thinking about declaring a fatwa on them.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltrap View Post
    How could another layer of cost possibly be "more effective" than what the State is doing? Let's see.....the local collector pays for facility rent, computer hardware and software, employees, phone systems and monthly cost. Plus the local collector takes his cut. The state already has this taken care of.
    Not trying to be argumentative here.

Just like companies hire contracting firms to perform certain functions, so does the government... and they do it because it saves the company/government money. Otherwise, you’re right, why do it?

More to your question, contracting firms save their customer’s money through various efficiencies, technologies and economies of scale. Also, their employees are often paid less.

(Berks County)

Not trying to be argumentative here.

Just like companies hire contracting firms to perform certain functions, so does the government... and they do it because it saves the company/government money. Otherwise, you’re right, why do it?

More to your question, contracting firms save their customer’s money through various efficiencies, technologies and economies of scale. Also, their employees are often paid less.
    Probably this, collecting that tax is a one time per year event and would probably cost more to do it themselves.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Monroe County)

Wait, let me get this straight... you guys are suggesting that the government can collect and process taxes more cheaply and efficiently than a contracting firm? Do you realize how silly that sounds?
    They can't and from my involvement with my local township I can tell you our costs to taxpayers is less and our compliance is higher with Berkheimer. It's like the knuckleheads that think in house school busing is cheaper and safer, again BS we saved millions and probably now have a better safety rating.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    They can't and from my involvement with my local township I can tell you our costs to taxpayers is less and our compliance is higher with Berkheimer. It's like the knuckleheads that think in house school busing is cheaper and safer, again BS we saved millions and probably now have a better safety rating.
    Well, if that’s the case then, whoever did the cost benefit analysis and hired Berkheimer to collect taxes for your Township should be relieved of their duties and dismissed.

...and happy to hear that your school busses are safe.

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    I'm thinking about declaring a fatwa on them.
    is that where you burn it down? chill out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    ah, but if they didn't collect a tax, there wouldn't be a cost associated with collecting a tax and there wouldn't be an expense to pay with said tax.
    although the government is WELL known for spending money it doesn't have...
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Luzerne County)

Berkheimer is a joke, always trying to have their hands in everyones pocket.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123