Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Anyone in South Central PA willing to let me try their BHP?

Hi all,

I am looking for my first semi-auto handgun, and I've tried quite a few rental guns at the range (Sig P226, S&W M&P, Glock 19, S&W 1911). However, I really love the ergonomics, esthetics and histroy behind the Browning Hi-Power. The problem is... I can't find any place that has one to rent so I can try it out before I buy. Does anyone in the area happen to have one that they'd be willing to let me try sometime? I'll pay for the ammo and the range fees for both of us! I am a new handgunner, but have experience with shotguns, so I'm not new to firearms. I have also taken the NRA First Steps Pistol course.

Chris

(Bucks County)

Default Southeast PA

Chris, I'm in Lower Bucks County and have a BHP MarkIII in 9mm. It has a beautiful black epoxy finish and shoots great. I was looking for a Browning Pro 9 at a local shop and saw this, well the rest is history. We usually shoot on Sunday mornings so if you are planning to be in this area, we're about 2 hours east of York, send me an E-mail. I'd be happy to let you try it out...Mike45

Quote Originally Posted by Chris17404
    Hi all,

I really love the ergonomics, esthetics and histroy behind the Browning Hi-Power. The problem is... I can't find any place that has one to rent so I can try it out before I buy.
    Chris
    Have you tried out a CZ? they are priced lower, and very similar to the HP.

Its one of the guns i have one my wish list for some day
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Default Re: Anyone in South Central PA willing to let me try their BHP?

Chris:

The biggest factor you should be aware of are the early and later HiPowers. The early Hi Powers have an internal extractor like the 1911 series, and spares are very difficult to find. Later models have a more modern extractor claw similar to european designs, and parts are readily available. Sources vary about when the chage occurred, many gun writers state this was 1962 (example), a Browning staffer told me it was about 1955.

You can identify them by the slides: an early Hi Power has a diagonal oval plate on the right side. A later model lacks this plate, and uses a separate hole for the sear lever pivot. Also, the extractor claw will be plainly visible.

Compare these two:

The right picture is a pre-62, the tangent sight suggests a wartime Ingliss made for the Chinese. Note oval plate embedded in slide serrations. The left pistol is a post-62, it's a 1982 Belgian commercial model. Note the extractor cut in the slide, lack of plate and transverse hole for sear pivot pin below rear of extractor.

A few early extractor sources:
    Sarco ($55)
    Powercustom ($63)

In this picture, both have adjustable sights. The pistol on the right has a "tangent" rear sight, originally specified by the Nationalist Chinese during WWII, and produced by Ingliss of Canada. Browning reintroduced this sight within the past 20 years, I recall it labelled "Captain" but it appears discontinued again. The tangent sight has a much smaller notch, I found rapid sight aquisition difficult. The sights on the right are more recent factory adjustable sights. While the sight picture is cleaner, the newer adjustable sights loosen easily and require frequent maintenance. I would not recommend either sight type for street or defensive use. With fixed sights, this is a fine pistol.

Records for the pre-55 pistols are disparate, but post-55 Browning models can be looked up here.

Also, the pistol is fitted with a device that disconnects the trigger if the magazine is removed. This extra linkage makes the trigger pull a little harder than most other pistols in its class. It's easy to bypass, but the implications of bypassing a safety device remains a controversial topic.

There's a lot to cover about this classic pistol, too much for one post. Do a google or yahoo search for hi power collector forums and read what owners are saying.
    Last edited by PA Rifleman; January 13th, 2007 at 01:18 AM. Reason: extractor updates

(Blair County)

Unfortunately I'm a little less South and a good bit more central than you.

I have a recent production "FN" marked Hi Power that I would be more than willing to let you shoot, and I have a range available. It's real Hi Power (single action), not the double action gun stamped "Hi Power," which most would consider an abomination. (I'm sure the HPDA is a fine pistol, but no double action should be marked "Hi Power. Sort of like in the mid 80s when Ford almost put out a front wheel drive Mustang.)

Anyway, I'll be in the Altoona area for a few more weeks. If you're in the area and want to get some trigger time, PM me.

doug (DPB)
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE

(York County)

Just stumbled across this relatively old post, but if you're still looking for a HiPower to try out I've got one you're welcome to shoot. I live in York and shoot at Freedom Armory's new range in Glen Rock.

Reply to this thread or drop me a PM if you're still interested.

Really like the BHP, BTW. I've attached a pic of mine... a new Belgian Browning. As a southpaw, I especially appreciate the ambi safety. Gun fits like a glove and has excellent ergonomics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When did ignorance become a point of view?
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member