Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: SCOTUS 2A Case 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Twospot View Post
    Agreed! This is why I voted for Trump mainly. I mean I would have voted for him anyway because I just don't see myself voting blue EVER. However this was the big reason. Ginsberg may not go before October, but she'll probably go before 2020 election. We just have to hope it's early enough that there is time to get another judge appointed.
    It would be interesting if she were to go early in 2020. Would the Senate vote on a predecessor or follow the Biden Rule? I’ve read some Republican’s say follow the Biden Rule, but most recently it seemed like McConnell would move forward with a vote.

If Ginsberg were to announce her retirement in October of 2020 it would guarantee that this would become an election for the Supreme Court.

Btw..... I expect some if not all of the Democratic candidates to take a page out of Trumps book and come out with lists of who they would elect to the Supreme Court. I honestly think that Trump doing that is what got a lot of American who were on the fence about voting for him out to the polls in 2016.

Btw..... everyone is focused on Ginsberg..... but Breyer is 80. He may find himself in a realistic position where he may need to step down in the next 5 years also.

It’s kind of sad that so much focus is put on the Supreme Court. Unfortunately for me at any rate, I don’t see Democrats electing people who will interpret the 2nd the way it was meant to (imo) and that is a big deal.

That's been on my mind as well. We denied the Garland nomination for good reason, so really we need to be honest with ourselves and despite President Trump's appointees not being destroyers of the Constitution like Obama's...no election-year nominations. That precedent has been set and both sides should follow it.

So she needs to go soon, but if not, we need to re-elect Donald Trump so he can replace her Day 1 of the 2nd term.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Found this on MSN

WASHINGTON – The late Supreme Court justice Antonin Scalia was asked in 2013 whether the Second Amendment's right to bear arms stood on equal ground with other constitutional protections, such as freedom of speech.

"We're going to find out, aren't we?" he quipped.
    That Scalia — who wrote the high court's landmark 2008 decision upholding gun rights — could not define the reach of that right was telling. Now, three years after his death, the court appears ready to put some teeth into an amendment that some justices say gets no respect.
    The case, on tap to be heard this fall, challenges obscure New York City rules that prevent gun owners from transporting their weapons outside the city, whether to second homes or shooting ranges. There's nothing else like it among state and local gun restrictions.

Yet from such outliers are major Supreme Court decisions of national import often born. And here, the court's conservative justices could clarify that all gun restrictions must clear a high bar, or state that the right to bear arms extends beyond the home.
    “This could be a huge decision," says Adam Winkler, author of "Gunfight: The Battle over the Right to Bear Arms in America" and a UCLA School of Law professor. "This case is going to end badly for gun violence prevention advocates."

Gun control groups are so worried about the court's direction on the Second Amendment that they would prefer to see New York City change the challenged rules. That could render the case moot and prevent the court from hearing it.
    Jonathan Lowy, director of legal action at the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, says if the rules were changed, "it certainly would not be an issue worthy of the Supreme Court's consideration.”

Otherwise, he says, “There is a potential that this case will lead to a discussion by some justices, and perhaps by a majority, about whether the right to a firearm extends outside the home into public places."
    What is clear is that the Supreme Court now has four strong proponents of gun rights with the addition in October of Associate Justice Brett Kavanaugh. He succeeded retired Associate Justice Anthony Kennedy, whose position on guns was viewed as more equivocal.
    Before that personnel change, the court had declined at least eight opportunities to take on Scalia's challenge over the past five years. It had let stand Chicago's semiautomatic weapons ban and a variety of prohibitions against carrying guns in public, from New Jersey to California. It had refused to second-guess age limits for carrying guns in Texas and requirements for disabling or locking up guns when not in use in San Francisco.
    Scalia's most famous opinion in District of Columbia v. Heller never defined the breadth of the right he declared. In fact, it made clear the court was not upholding “a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose."
    "There are doubtless limits," Scalia said in that 2013 appearance at George Washington University. "What they are, we will see."
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Chester County)

So basically the Brady Campaign knows anti-gun groups are wrong and doesn’t want NYC to ruin it for the rest of the them.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Roberts is certainly a problem.

As for Ginsburg, it isn't out of the realm of possibility that she'll make it until then. With any luck she'll go to a hunting ranch in Texas sometime this year.
    Who wants to supply the pillow

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by 57springer View Post
    Who wants to supply the pillow
    You fellas are just plain mean, mean, mean...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    So basically the Brady Campaign knows anti-gun groups are wrong and doesn’t want NYC to ruin it for the rest of the them.
    I read that NYCs reasoning is they want to protect the public from what a gunowner could do in a tense or stressful situation.

Even though NY law already requires handguns to be transported unloaded, in a locked container, and ammo separate. And the restriction in question only applies to people living in NYC, not the rest of the state

They don't have a leg to stand on when this is in front of SCOTUS.

(Wyoming County)

Here's another take on why this case may not be as YUGE as we hope it will be.

Too long don't want to read?- There are statutory arguments against the law I.E. FOPA that the SCOTUS can use to strike it down and not even consider constitutional arguments.

Supreme Court's Next 2nd Amendment Case: Giant Leap or Small Step?

Arsenal Attorneys is closely monitoring developments at the United States Supreme Court, which recently agreed to review a case some are already celebrating as a seminal 2nd Amendment decision in the making. However, this case, New York State Rifle and Pistol Association, Inc. v. City of New York, NY, might not have as broad and immediate an impact as many have predicted.
    https://www.arsenalattorneys.com/fir...-or-small-step
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    Here's another take on why this case may not be as YUGE as we hope it will be.

Too long don't want to read?- There are statutory arguments against the law I.E. FOPA that the SCOTUS can use to strike it down and not even consider constitutional arguments.

Supreme Court's Next 2nd Amendment Case: Giant Leap or Small Step?

https://www.arsenalattorneys.com/fir...-or-small-step
    I guess it depends on how the law is written. Does it simply ban transport, or is possession outside of NYC against the law?

Because if the latter, they aren't transporting a gun to where they're legally allowed to posses it.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Found this on MSN

WASHINGTON – The late Supreme Court justice Antonin Scalia was asked in 2013 whether the Second Amendment's right to bear arms stood on equal ground with other constitutional protections, such as freedom of speech.

"We're going to find out, aren't we?" he quipped.
    That Scalia — who wrote the high court's landmark 2008 decision upholding gun rights — could not define the reach of that right was telling. Now, three years after his death, the court appears ready to put some teeth into an amendment that some justices say gets no respect.
    The case, on tap to be heard this fall, challenges obscure New York City rules that prevent gun owners from transporting their weapons outside the city, whether to second homes or shooting ranges. There's nothing else like it among state and local gun restrictions.

Yet from such outliers are major Supreme Court decisions of national import often born. And here, the court's conservative justices could clarify that all gun restrictions must clear a high bar, or state that the right to bear arms extends beyond the home.
    “This could be a huge decision," says Adam Winkler, author of "Gunfight: The Battle over the Right to Bear Arms in America" and a UCLA School of Law professor. "This case is going to end badly for gun violence prevention advocates."

Gun control groups are so worried about the court's direction on the Second Amendment that they would prefer to see New York City change the challenged rules. That could render the case moot and prevent the court from hearing it.
    Jonathan Lowy, director of legal action at the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, says if the rules were changed, "it certainly would not be an issue worthy of the Supreme Court's consideration.”

Otherwise, he says, “There is a potential that this case will lead to a discussion by some justices, and perhaps by a majority, about whether the right to a firearm extends outside the home into public places."
    What is clear is that the Supreme Court now has four strong proponents of gun rights with the addition in October of Associate Justice Brett Kavanaugh. He succeeded retired Associate Justice Anthony Kennedy, whose position on guns was viewed as more equivocal.
    Before that personnel change, the court had declined at least eight opportunities to take on Scalia's challenge over the past five years. It had let stand Chicago's semiautomatic weapons ban and a variety of prohibitions against carrying guns in public, from New Jersey to California. It had refused to second-guess age limits for carrying guns in Texas and requirements for disabling or locking up guns when not in use in San Francisco.
    Scalia's most famous opinion in District of Columbia v. Heller never defined the breadth of the right he declared. In fact, it made clear the court was not upholding “a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose."
    "There are doubtless limits," Scalia said in that 2013 appearance at George Washington University. "What they are, we will see."
    I saw this too as a USA Today article. The title really pissed me off. It was "Supreme Court's conservatives appear poised to expand Second Amendment gun rights". Seriously... "expand Second Amendment Rights"??? Dude there is no expansion! They're protecting them. More manipulation.
    Eddie

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast