Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: Honesdale-Hawley

It is really interesting to see folks from urban areas react to the dark and 'quiet' of the woods. Some of these folks have never really had the experience of near total darkness. I have some experience with kids at camp who get really freaked out by this. As to the quiet, it is not really quiet, just a softer, different sort of 'noise' and if you are not used to it, it can be scary at first.

Back when I called West Philly home, I remember one night for about 15 minutes when I did not hear a sound, and it really struck me. I was sitting on the rooftop, which was my place of repose, and was watching the night sky, when it occurred to me that I had not heard anything for quite a while, no traffic, no sirens, no other sounds. That actually freaked me out more than the woods.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Wayne County)

Hawley is about a 20 minute ride for me. Nice quiet community.

Avoid developments and Home Owners Assoc. if at all possible.

Formerly from SEPA myself (Bucks County. Holland, Doylestown) and was a weekended all my life. Made the move to full time about 14 years ago and love it.

Mothing is really 5 minutes away like SEPA, but it's worth the driving.

Feel free to contact me with specifics or certain land/properties...you can get a lot of bang for your buck...and taxes are a joke (cheap compared to Central Bucks and Council Rock school districts)
    Small hand made batches of beef jerky...Mountain Meats and More on Face Book

A lot of good info that already has been posted and right on ! Huge amount of NY and NJ tourists and some are homeowners also.I give Wayne County a Thumbs Up ! Dont forget the Harley Davidson dealership in Honesdale !

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    A lot of good info that already has been posted and right on ! Huge amount of NY and NJ tourists and some are homeowners also.I give Wayne County a Thumbs Up ! Dont forget the Harley Davidson dealership in Honesdale !

And the Kahr "Tommy Gun Warehouse" in Greeley...(keepin' it gun related... )

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Roadking View Post
    And the Kahr "Tommy Gun Warehouse" in Greeley...(keepin' it gun related... )
    Ooooo! I forgot that one. That makes 6 gun shops within 30 minutes from Hawley. (EVERYTHING is 30 minutes away!!!!)
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    ~snip~

If you get to the point that you think you want to make an offer on something, PM me. I'll be glad to try to meet up with you to help you with what little I do know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadking View Post
    ~snip~

Feel free to contact me with specifics or certain land/properties...you can get a lot of bang for your buck...and taxes are a joke (cheap compared to Central Bucks and Council Rock school districts)
    Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    It is really interesting to see folks from urban areas react to the dark and 'quiet' of the woods.

~snip~

Thanks for the offers, I'll keep them and the info here in mind.

I have spent a lot of time in Palmyra Twp, Tanglwood Lakes, area, so the dark and quiet are not a problem for me, or our dog and wifey's family built a home on an empty lot many many many moons ago she she knows it well too. She wants to keep it but it was will to her and her 3 brothers, we can't buy them out at this time so it's going to be sold. As much as there is sentimental attachment for her, and I could live there, I'm kind of glad we can't because there is an uptight homeowners assoc. to deal with there.

Again, thanks to all who have contributed here, we are at least a few years from any real thought on the idea but appreciate the food for thought. Speaking of thought, Qtrborecrazy mentioned stay away from the rivers. Why? Floods, bugs? Too many critters?

Bill

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post

Thanks for the offers, I'll keep them and the info here in mind.

I have spent a lot of time in Palmyra Twp, Tanglwood Lakes, area, so the dark and quiet are not a problem for me, or our dog and wifey's family built a home on an empty lot many many many moons ago she she knows it well too. She wants to keep it but it was will to her and her 3 brothers, we can't buy them out at this time so it's going to be sold. As much as there is sentimental attachment for her, and I could live there, I'm kind of glad we can't because there is an uptight homeowners assoc. to deal with there.

Again, thanks to all who have contributed here, we are at least a few years from any real thought on the idea but appreciate the food for thought. Speaking of thought, Qtrborecrazy mentioned stay away from the rivers. Why? Floods, bugs? Too many critters?

Bill
    I would imagine just for then flooding potential. Anything within the 500 year floodplain is subject to getting whacked on a 1:500 chance in any year (not once every 500 years as is commonly believed). I've seen areas on the Delaware River get hit with 500 year floods twice in three years or something crazy like that. It's been awhile so my rememory is fading.

The main takeaway is to try to avoid water as much as possible, whether it's rivers, streams, wetlands, high groundwater table or stormwater. Which in this area can be tough. Down in the Newfoundland/Sterling area where Qtrborecrazy is, the whole damn town is floodplain and they relocated the main creek channel around the town after the 1955 hurricane.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Lackawanna County)

Not to mention the Delaware is extremely dangerous. We see the dive boats hooked up all summer long because some vacationer tries to swim it and ends up pinned to the bottom by the undertow. May not be what they meant but it’s something to consider.

(Delaware County)

I would imagine just for then flooding potential. Anything within the 500 year floodplain is subject to getting whacked on a 1:500 chance in any year (not once every 500 years as is commonly believed). I've seen areas on the Delaware River get hit with 500 year floods twice in three years or something crazy like that. It's been awhile so my rememory is fading.

The main takeaway is to try to avoid water as much as possible, whether it's rivers, streams, wetlands, high groundwater table or stormwater. Which in this area can be tough. Down in the Newfoundland/Sterling area where Qtrborecrazy is, the whole damn town is floodplain and they relocated the main creek channel around the town after the 1955 hurricane.
    Thanks. Living in a fairly flat area most of my life I was wondering if run-off and/or flooding were problems in that area, lots of homes built on the sides of hills.

(Wayne County)

The old leather shop across from NBT Bank has the "high water mark" sign over the front door still. And according to the previous owner of our house, that flood of '55 created a heck of a rush down the little creek on our property and took the garage/wheel wright shop out like a tidal wave...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast