Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default Photo requirements for LTCF??

Anyone know if a person needs to bring their own passport pics or if the Sheriff will take them for you in Clearfield??

I have a friend that I need to take to get her LTCF next Friday and hoping to be prepared ahead of time.

Thanks!

Robert

(Fulton County)

Default Re: Photo requirements for LTCF??

mine says valid without photo

but i carry mine in my wallet with my ID

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Anyone know if a person needs to bring their own passport pics or if the Sheriff will take them for you in Clearfield??

I have a friend that I need to take to get her LTCF next Friday and hoping to be prepared ahead of time.

Thanks!

Robert
    Don't they usually take the photo there? Kinda like the when you get your drivers license. At least when I got mine done in Bucks County they did.

(Westmoreland County)

I could be mistaken on this but I think that the photo requirement has been added all around the state and that's why the price jumped to 25. In Allegheny they took the photo in-house. I think all counties are moving to this.

I wouldn't call me an authority, just what I think I recall from a few threads.

EDIT: Here's a thread that references it. Although it references Berks county specificially, it's noted that
    Part of new law:
    (h) Fee.--The fee for a license to carry a firearm is $19. This includes a renewal notice processing fee of $1.50. This includes an administrative fee of $5 under section (2) of the act of July 6, 1984 (P.L.614, No.127), known as the Sheriff Fee Act. The sheriff may charge an applicant an additional fee not to exceed actual costs, or $5, whichever is less, to cover the costs of complying with the photograph requirement under subsection (e)(3).
    Just an FYI, you *will* need a State issued photo ID to get your LTCF but that photo won't be the one used.
    Last edited by D-FENS; March 4th, 2007 at 12:51 AM.
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Jefferson County)

I know each county has a slightly different proceedure. Some require that you bring in (2) passport pics, some will take them for an additional fee.

I have a Jefferson Co LTCF, which Sheriff Demko's office took the digi-pic onsite. But I wasn't sure if Hawkins' office could do the same.

Its a rather long drive for me to go to DuBois(20 miles), pick up my friend, then drive another 25 miles to Clearfield at 8mpg. ...Would like to make the trip just once if I can.

(Westmoreland County)

Call and ask the Sheriffs ofice. Danp has a list of most info and Sheriffs under the 'counties' tab at the top. They can tell you whether you need to bring in a pic and whether they can do same-day issuance. A lot of places do but here in Allegheny it took nearly a month
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Chester County)

Chester County has the instructions and form on the internet. The instructions state that you must apply in person, and a picture will be obtained in their office. Since the rules vary by county, I googled Jeff county but didn't find anything, so a phone call to the Sheriff's office might be the quickest way to find out for sure.

As a side note, section 6109 of the Uniform Firearms Act (as found on the 'net) states that the fee for a LTCF is $19, so I can only assume the extra $27 Ches.Co. charges (for a total of - ouch - $46) is for the fine picture they take when the application is submitted.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    As a side note, section 6109 of the Uniform Firearms Act (as found on the 'net) states that the fee for a LTCF is $19, so I can only assume the extra $27 Ches.Co. charges (for a total of - ouch - $46) is for the fine picture they take when the application is submitted.
    We've (The PAFOA) have actually looked into this thanks to the help of one of our board lawyers. It appears that the Sheriff's Fee Act allows them to charge pretty much whatever they want up to the $46 limit in addition to the charge outlined in 6109. In some of the bigger counties that issue more permits it seems that the Sheriff's offices really do need to raise the price to support the staff necessary to process the applications, do the background checks, etc.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post

Thanks!

Robert
    When I got my LTCF I needed a passport photo for the application,that was about 10 years ago,so it may have changed now.The last time I renewed my LTCF they did the photo in the sheriffs office and I recivied my licence at that time.
    Steve

(Jefferson County)

Here's the deal for Clearfield County.

I took my female friend and my 8 month old God-daughter over to the court house. The security man(not a uniformed person, ...older gentleman) gave me a little hassle and attitude. Said something along the lines of "It isn't good to be carrying those things, especially here.", "Why are you carrying, someone out to get you?" To ease the situation, I said "I always carry and those boxes were put in the court houses for us law abiding people." And "Nope, no-one out to get me that I know of. {smiled and chuckled}" (see bottom)

We first stopped at the prothonotary's(spelling) office to register her with some abusive relationship orginization then went down the hall to the Sheriff's office. The lady in the LCTF office made a copy of my friend's driver's license photo for $.50 to affix to the application after it was filled out. We handed over the $25.50 fee and was told we'd receive a post card in the mail. That was Friday, March 9th. I'll let you all know when the the approve/deny post card arrives in my friend's mailbox.

On the way out I was holding the little one, and the old gent was near the lockbox to retrieve my piece. He warmed up some by then and ask "What is that thing you carry?" I said "A Walther P99." He then asked "What cartridge?" My response "9mm". I then wished him a good day and out the door we went.

The security person's attitude was a far cry different from the last time I was at the Clearfield court house. The last time, another gentleman seemed to be really happy to see a licensee come in and welcomed my return.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast