Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Ever bought a gun to match an accessory?

So I was digging through my box of holsters and came across one that made me go, "Huh?" No recollection buying it, looked like it *might* fit my Blackhawk - but it doesn't; cylinder is too fat, so I think it came as part of some trade somewhere at sometime with someone. Maybe. *shrug*

Regardless, curiosity gets the best of me and I start searching and find out the holster is for an 1851 or 1860 Navy Colt.

So of course I have to have one. Because I can have a gun with multiple holsters, but why own a holster with no gun? That's just silly talk, plus it'll free up space in my holster box - so it totally makes sense. So through research I figure out I'm after a Uberti produced reproduction (they put all the warnings and import marks under the ramrod, unlike Pietta that rollmarks them right down the side of the barrel - that's the only reason I went with Uberti).

Came in today, I'm really happy with fit/finish, it makes a cap go "pop", and hopefully I'll be able to get out this weekend to make it sing.

IMG_20190103_192849313.jpg
    IMG_20190103_192903501.jpg
    IMG_20190103_174813017.jpg

Anyone else with a similar story? Buy a gun to match a set of grips? A magazine? A predrilled weaver base? We all do silly things, that's what makes hobbies fun

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Default Re: Ever bought a gun to match an accessory?

Not accessories for me, but ammo. I bought some surplus tokarev ammo before finally buying a yugo m57. Ironically, I never bought a nagant revolver, even though I had bought some cheap surplus nagant ammo. At that time (about 7 years ago) the nagants I saw were almost as expensive as the tokarevs, so I just went with the tokarev. The days of the $99 nagant had ended. .

(Berks County)

Caps are usually corrosive, clean it.

I bought an emp4 and it came with a discount and special offers. I bought some emp mags, too small so I bought the emp to fit them.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Allegheny County)

It got fully cleaned, ran the caps to blow the packing grease out of the nipples and cylinders - that generated a lot of smelly smoke. Then it got cleaned to get all of the packing oil off and out of it. I'm not new to muzzle loaders, black powder, caps, or flints; just adding to the collection

But buying an EMP to match the big mags makes TOTAL sense instead of swapping them for the EMP4 mags

Quote Originally Posted by father-of-three View Post
    Not accessories for me, but ammo. I bought some surplus tokarev ammo before finally buying a yugo m57. Ironically, I never bought a nagant revolver, even though I had bought some cheap surplus nagant ammo. At that time (about 7 years ago) the nagants I saw were almost as expensive as the tokarevs, so I just went with the tokarev. The days of the $99 nagant had ended. .
    Same here. Many years back I purchased an old box of x54R ammo from a gun shop that took it on a trade and didn't know what it was really for. When I got home and dumped it and found two original boxes of FN Belgium 7.65 ammunition so I ended up having to buy a Argentine Mauser or two to go with it. Funny thing is I still have that ammunition in those original boxes as I couldn't bring myself to break them opened so I just purchased Ewing production PPU ammunition for the range.