Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Home Defense: 00 Buck or #4 Buck?

Paper attacks are nothing to scoff at...

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Chester County)

I've had my HD shotty loaded with 00 Buckshot for decades, #4 Buckshot may have advantages in certain situations but, if 00 Buck doesn't stop what I'm shooting at, call me amazed. 7 rounds in the shotgun and a 5 round side saddle gives me 108 30-caliber pellets or 18 revolver cylinders worth of projectiles, I feel well defended.

(Delaware County)

I actually use #2 lead shot. But I loaded them myself.

(Franklin County)

Either will work. Strongly advise against using anything smaller. Bird shot is made to kill 6 oz birds. It surely can harm someone, but it simply will not stop a threat like a buckshot load will. There are a million variables. Read the news. Guys wearing body armor, dudes jacked so high on meth they don't realize their guts are hanging out for 10 minutes, ect. A grazing wound with #6 would draw blood. A grazing hit with 00 will remove limbs.

There's a incredible video on Youtube of a kid who was shot be a gang initiate. Kid was shot point blank with 12 ga dove loads in the arm, another in the chest, a 3rd grazed his head. The kid was able to stand up and walk away, and was discharged from hospital in under a week. Awesome for him......not so selling for #6.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    Either will work. Strongly advise against using anything smaller. Bird shot is made to kill 6 oz birds. It surely can harm someone, but it simply will not stop a threat like a buckshot load will. There are a million variables. Read the news. Guys wearing body armor, dudes jacked so high on meth they don't realize their guts are hanging out for 10 minutes, ect. A grazing wound with #6 would draw blood. A grazing hit with 00 will remove limbs.

There's a incredible video on Youtube of a kid who was shot be a gang initiate. Kid was shot point blank with 12 ga dove loads in the arm, another in the chest, a 3rd grazed his head. The kid was able to stand up and walk away, and was discharged from hospital in under a week. Awesome for him......not so selling for #6.
    Could you give a link to the video?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post

Try a 3” magnum #2 #4 or #6 shot instead of a dove load and see what happens.

That being said it’s 00 buck for me.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Could you give a link to the video?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elfQk7o7ezk

There ya go brother. You can skip to the 2:00 mark if the story line isn't of interest.

(Chester County)

At home defense ranges inside of a house #6 or better high brass will stop any intruder. #4 turkey loads at those ranges are devastating. Paul Harrell says so.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by bamboomaster View Post
    When you really want to stop the threat, #4 alternated with slugs every other round for home defense.

If the bad guy is wearing a "bullet-proof" vest, I want him to go down and stay down...

The slugs also give you the opportunity to shoot through interior walls of your brick home without exposing yourself to return fire. You're obviously gonna need some spackle to patch the walls after the investigation, but it's a small price to pay for keeping your family safe...
    Out here in the Boonies, I face other threats as well as Feral Humans.

So I load my 18.5" pump shotgun with the shells listed above, and have the same mix on the side clips.

I like a little spread and more pellets for an angry black bear/ varmint raiding my livestock.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

I've always liked #4 buck, but for the past thirty years a shotgun was non-viable as a self-defense tool for me, at least inside my home.

With the recent move, that changed. Of course that coincided with the Xi Jin Flu, so it was hard to get ANY buckshot of ANY size.

I had to make do with rare lots of #0 and #00.

I went to the Berea show Saturday and just about everybody had large quantities of #4 buck, mostly Italian. I bought four boxes, and when my new shotgun arrives, I'll probably buy a lot more, assuming that it works well through it.
    Je suis Charles Martel.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast