Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default New Beretta pocket pistol

Just picked up the last new Beretta 85FS in Nickel at the LGS. From what I can discern from the Beretta site, no more 85’s in Nickel are being made.

I like the narrow grip of the single stack, and it still offers me 9 rounds of .380, as compared with my S&W 649’s 5 rounds.

I typically use a grease on the slide rails of my alloy framed guns to prevent the slide from wearing the frame rails. I’m concerned that the CorrosionX grease might react with the nickel finish, so to be safe I’ll stick with liberal amounts of Ballistol to keep the frame lubricated.

Would a coating of Ballistol be sufficient protection / lube for the slide rails?
    Also: should the hammer be carried as it is decocked (at half cock), or should it be further lowered all the way down for carry?

Default Re: New Beretta pocket pistol

Very nice looking pistol you have there, it's a damn shame how bad they billboarded up that slide.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Very nice looking pistol you have there, it's a damn shame how bad they billboarded up that slide.
    Anything to keep the PCC happy

(Chester County)

The 85FS is one of, if not the best .380 made. I prefer the slimmer grip over the 84, double stack. I wouldn't consider it a "pocket pistol" though. It is more of a mid sized service pistol.
    Last edited by Pilot321; December 20th, 2018 at 11:04 AM.

(Berks County)

Ballistol is not a great slide lube. Nickel comes to variations, the electroless is imperious, the electroplating is the one that ammonia can attack, no hoppies or copper cutters. Harley Davidson sell a blue bearing grease that’s much more pleasant than black stuff. Honestly I’m not sure I’d use ballistol on electroplated nickel ever.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Bucks County)

Good looking gun, I bought one of those several years ago but never got around to shooting it so it's been in my safe gatherings dust.

I have the Nickel 84 and purchased it last year. I wanted one a few years ago and they were impossible to find. Back then I was reading that they were discontinued or not being imported anymore. But in reality it seems that they are imported every so often. Maybe it's demand based? When I couldn't find one, I bought a Sig P238 HD instead. 3 or 4 years go buy and I found an 84 locally. I must have looked at it 3 times wanting a double/single action all metal gun. The slide is hard to operate so I grip it at the front. The store owner couldn't even rack it to make sure it was clear before showing me. My friends ask me why I put the Glock 23 away in favor of the 84. After all, it is the same size and uses 380 acp. Well, I have lots of 380 since I own the P238 and a Taurus M380 revolver. The thing fits my hand perfectly and points much better for me than the Glock. Plus, it just feels like a gun if you know what I mean. It seems many Cheetahs sit in safes, especially nickel ones. Not mine, I carry it. Supposedly electroless nickel is better protection than bluing, but I don't know if that's true. For ammo I use Hornady Custom XTPs or the Winchester White Box flat nose. Mec-Gar mags work great too. Midway has them on sale quite often.

(Lebanon County)

pretty happy with the blued version i have...fyi the mag disconnect is extremely simple to remove.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....