Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default Cross Eyed Dominant

I wasn't sure exactly where to start this conversation so if I put it in the wrong discussion forum I apologize.

Anyway, I wanted to find out how many people are out there that potentially have the same problem as me. I'm a right hander but I'm left eye dominant. Matters got worse when I found out I have a benign tumor that sits on my right optic nerve. My sight has been progressively getting worse in my right eye to the point where I am now 20/110 in my right eye and have issues with certain colors and depth perception. I'm still 20/20 in my left eye and have also been through two rounds of Proton Beam Radiation treatments and the tumor is shrinking slowly. Unfortunately though, I cannot go get Lasik or even corrective lenses to facilitate my vision as the issue is not my actual eye ball, it is behind the eye on the optic nerve itself.

With that being said, I am trying to do some research on what others might do to remedy/make up for/minimalize this type of issue. I haven't seen any substantially direct impact while shooting pistols or shotguns, but looking through a scope/red dot/iron sights on a rifle has become extremely difficult. I do not want to give up shooting rifles but have been struggling with accuracy and maintaining a clear sight picture. I'm still hitting paper but not having near the accuracy I once was.

One of my rifles is a Winchester Model 94 in 30-30 that is top ejection with a side mounted scope, but I can still only use that with my right eye. I'm thinking that there has to be some way of offsetting the scope to be able to shoot right handed but using the left eye (if that makes sense). I've read about shooting red dots with both eyes open but when I tried that with my brother's AR with an Eotech on it, I still could not identify the red dot with my right eye and the dot is almost completely out of the sight picture in my left eye. I was simply wondering if anyone else has this issue/limitation and what they suggest. Any and all information will be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by acd118; December 19th, 2018 at 01:52 PM.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Cross Eyed Dominant

put some scotch tape over the left side of your glasses.

if that doesn't work, learn to shoot left handed.

Shooting cross dominant with a pistol is no problem at all, it's a bit more of a problem with rifles. I know a number of cross dominant competent shooters. All of them shoot pistol with their strong side and just turn their head, but with long guns they shoot from their dominant eye side.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Cross Eyed Dominant

Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member