Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Delco tax assessment

Has anybody heard about it lately? Nothing in the local news.
    I have a feeling nothing good is going to come from this.
    I'm looking on buying a home, but may want to hold off till the results.
    The realtor I'm working with says this is the best time to buy,
    I believe him (I do real estate work). Thoughts?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Delco tax assessment

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Has anybody heard about it lately? Nothing in the local news.
    I have a feeling nothing good is going to come from this.
    I'm looking on buying a home, but may want to hold off till the results.
    The realtor I'm working with says this is the best time to buy,

That's salesman talk
    I believe him (I do real estate work). Thoughts?
    Their going to build a new high school, so that's going to elevate the taxes.
    My escrow was short by a couple hundred.
    Death and taxes.
    Our brethren are already in the Field, why stand we here Idle?
    Si vis pacem, Para bellum
    To every man upon this earth, death cometh, soon or late

Quote Originally Posted by DonBiase View Post
    Their going to build a new high school, so that's going to elevate the taxes.
    My escrow was short by a couple hundred.
    Death and taxes.
    You guys in springfield are screwed. 200.00 a year every year for the first ten years.
    Thats a minimum 2k in ten years. Upper dump wants to build a school now

(Berks County)

I wouldn't worry about a reassessment unless the particular property you are talking about is currently under-assessed and if you get an assessment that you feel is out of line you can appeal it. Some places are easier to appeal than others. The question that I have is...after a re-assessment and all properties' values are increased do they reduce the millage? They should.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Delaware County)

Delco is going to undergo a county-wide reassessment next year. It will be effective for the 2021 tax year. The last time Delco underwent one was in 2000.

Counties, school districts and municipalities (except for Philadelphia) aren't allowed to use reassessments as a way to increase tax revenue. While assessed values are likely to go up (most properties have gone up in value since 2000), the millage (tax) rates will have to go down in order to equalize things out.

For instance, if all properties within a school district have a total assessed value of $1 Billion and the district's tax rate is currently 4 mills ($4 per Thousand dollars of assessed value) that would mean that the district raises $4,000,000 a year in real estate taxes. Suppose that when reassessment is done, total assessed property values in the district are increased to $2 Billion. By law, the tax/millage rate will have to be cut from 4 mills to 2 mills to keep the tax revenues at $4 Million.

That doesn't mean, however, that a property that is currently under assessed won't see an increase in taxes. It likely will. OTOH a property that is currently over assessed will see taxes go down.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jbrower View Post
    Delco is going to undergo a county-wide reassessment next year. It will be effective for the 2021 tax year. The last time Delco underwent one was in 2000.

Counties, school districts and municipalities (except for Philadelphia) aren't allowed to use reassessments as a way to increase tax revenue. While assessed values are likely to go up (most properties have gone up in value since 2000), the millage (tax) rates will have to go down in order to equalize things out.

For instance, if all properties within a school district have a total assessed value of $1 Billion and the district's tax rate is currently 4 mills ($4 per Thousand dollars of assessed value) that would mean that the district raises $4,000,000 a year in real estate taxes. Suppose that when reassessment is done, total assessed property values in the district are increased to $2 Billion. By law, the tax/millage rate will have to be cut from 4 mills to 2 mills to keep the tax revenues at $4 Million.

That doesn't mean, however, that a property that is currently under assessed won't see an increase in taxes. It likely will. OTOH a property that is currently over assessed will see taxes go down.
    It sounds like one should dress their property down for the event.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Delaware County)

I got a questionnaire in the mail about a month ago from some firm doing the reassessment. Wantied know if there has been any changes to my property from what they had listed. Wanted it back in 14 days. It's around somewhere.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

(Delaware County)

I should hold off doing my roof...and the side porch that is coming down, not to mention the basement needs to be water-proofed and the windows replaced. Oh, I need to renovate the bathrooms too. You get the idea...right?

Quote Originally Posted by RenoV8 View Post
    I should hold off doing my roof...and the side porch that is coming down, not to mention the basement needs to be water-proofed and the windows replaced. Oh, I need to renovate the bathrooms too. You get the idea...right?
    When I was a kid there was a cartoon (bugs bunny or daffy duck cant remember) the tax man was coming to visit.
    The cartoon character pushed a button and all the walls turned around and the other side was all beat up, torn wallpaper etc..
    I could never understand that until I got older. I told my kids and they were dumbfounded.

Yes, wait til the commie bastards show up, and dont get any permits because if you do, they now know what you did
    to improve your way of life, and they'll adjust your taxes (possibly).

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by RenoV8 View Post
    Not sure if the state of repairs matter. I had some broken shit at the last assessment and mine was assessed the same as my neighbors that is pristine.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast