Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default French Creek State Game Lands #43 as of Recent?

I've seen a lot of talk online about French Creek State Range being unsafe, heavily monitored with game wardens showing up presumably "out of no-where" to reprimand people for apparently no reason. But everything I'm reading is from years ago.

Anyone have any recent experiences with shooting up there? Has the environment gotten any better? I typically shoot at Targetmaster, which is fine but I'd really like to shoot somewhere without cartridge restrictions so I can shoot my hotter 30 cal guns like my Mosin and AK platform stuff.

Bonus question: The website says there are mag restrictions at 6 rounds. However it specifically says "it is unlawful to: Load or discharge a firearm that contains more than six rounds of single projectile ammunition." My current CC weapon is a M1911 that I keep with a 8 round mag + 1. Do you think I would have any issues legally CC'ing at that range if I have my mags loaded at full capacity? I do have a valid LTCF for the record.

Thanks for any input guys!

(Berks County)

Default Re: French Creek State Game Lands #43 as of Recent?

I haven't heard a good word about that range in years. I'm a club member and have no need or desire to shoot there and if your 1911 is concealed, it's concealed but I don't have the answer to the question on it.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Chester County)

Fair enough! Thanks for the reply, and I suppose there isn't a concrete answer about my pistol. Although if I'm concealed carrying as I intend to do, it shouldn't be an issue as no one will know to ask.

(Berks County)

My understanding is that you need to have a Hunting license or "permit" from the State Game commission to use the facilities at the range in question. Before joining the current club I'm a member of, I was at the State Game lands twice. The first time I was there we had an individual on the firing line send rounds down range when there was someone heading down range to change targets. The shooters response was he didn't see the individual even though someone had called a cease fire on the line. The second time there, we witnessed an individual muzzle sweeping the firing line. That was enough for me to avoid the place.

Please keep in mind when using facilities like that the skill level of the shooters is an unknown. I'd personally prefer to know that the individual standing on the line next to me or mine is familiar with the basic NRA safety rules.

(Montgomery County)

You would be opening yourself to fines if you load 8 rounds in your pistol.
    I only load 6, I only load 3 in my AR mags.

I was there last Friday afternoon. Stopped to unload my flintlock after a day of walking in the woods. All the folks there were being safe in my opinion. Weekends might be busier.

(Montgomery County)

We went to French Creek about 3 weeks ago. Purchased a permit online. Permit allows One Guest. Range was busy with Hunters sighting in rifles. We shot AK, AR, Garand, Pistols. I was Cautious the entire time, but overall things went smoothly.
    French Creek.jpg

Early mornings are the best time to go. Usually the same people are there and we know each other. I'm usually done by about 11:00. When others show up they follow range and safety rules. The backstops get shot up as usual and the game commission removed the metal barrels and replaced them with hard plastic ones. Paper trash can build up without the burn barrels. Burn barrels were great to get rid of the cardboard and also provided some heat.

Targets out to 100 yards so you can shot your larger rifles. Other targets are set at 50 yards, makes it harder for handgun shooting.

I agree that private clubs may be better but with the limited ones located in my area and their waiting lists make French Creek SGL range a good option for me.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Sights View Post
    Early mornings are the best time to go. Usually the same people are there and we know each other. I'm usually done by about 11:00. When others show up they follow range and safety rules. The backstops get shot up as usual and the game commission removed the metal barrels and replaced them with hard plastic ones. Paper trash can build up without the burn barrels. Burn barrels were great to get rid of the cardboard and also provided some heat.

Targets out to 100 yards so you can shot your larger rifles. Other targets are set at 50 yards, makes it harder for handgun shooting.

I agree that private clubs may be better but with the limited ones located in my area and their waiting lists make French Creek SGL range a good option for me.
    Upper Chester County, which isn't far from that pubic range isn't too bad on their list. I believe that the last few years everyone on the list has made it through. August 1 is when they start accepting new members, you can get on the list anytime.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Upper Chester County, which isn't far from that pubic range isn't too bad on their list. I believe that the last few years everyone on the list has made it through. August 1 is when they start accepting new members, you can get on the list anytime.
    Thanks for this info. I looked it up and found Northern Chester County Sportsman Club. If you are a member can you tell me what the annual fee is, I didn't see it on the site.

https://nccsc.us/memberapp/

In the link, second paragraph of Membership Overview:

"NCCSC offers a single membership option for an Individual/Family (husband, wife, children under 18) dues are $100/yr with a $100.00 initial application fee. Our membership year runs from August 1 through July 31 annually."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast