Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Foreigh Power Converters - Iraq

My son deployed to Iraq on Friday 9/26/08 with his Marine unit. I just spoke with him and he asked that I send him some Foreign Power Converters. He said the ones they can get over their on the base are almost $200.00. He will be primarily be powering his laptop. What should I look for when purchasing this and does anyone have any experience that can recomment one that won't break the bank. He wants me to send several over...

Thanks

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Foreigh Power Converters - Iraq

A friend of mine just came back from Iraq last fall, he was employed as a contractor there. If I recall correctly, he bought his at Wal-Mart and didn't have any problems. I'll check with him tonight to make sure about that.

In fact, he was based with the Marines in Ramadi.
    http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o92/quipfan/pc_pics/stay_back_100_meters2-351x146.jpg

(Monroe County)

Sir
    I can’t speak for what the Marines are falling in over here, but when we came there where allot of power converters already here. In the Army our Company Supply SGT is allowed about $1,000 a month to purchase company supplies and power converters are part of his purchase. The type of converter has to be closely related to his power usage, you have 100, 200, 1000, and 1600 watt converters that can support all sorts of electronics these kids have. If he gets the wrong type of plug they sell adapters over here fairly cheap. The only advice I can add to this is if you send him a converter that uses fuses is that you send him extra fuses. The power over here is 240 and either off the grid or generators supplied by KBR or some other outfit on the FOB's, COB.s and PB's.
    Those AAFEES (SP) PX/BX folks are crazy with their prices but they have a captive customer base.

(Washington County)

A quick google search says the power over there is 230 volts at 50 Hz. My Dell laptop charger can run on 100-230 volts at 50-60 Hz. Have him look on his his charger if it will handle both voltages. If it can, he may only need the adapter plug, not the entire transformer.

http://www.international-electrical-...g-adapter.html - here's a set for $23. You may be able to find them locally as well.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Monroe County)

I am not an electrictian but I had a few Soldiers directly plug their PC's into house power without a transformer and they had issues with their power packs burning out, We get power spikes here. But whatever works for him is best.