Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Question Crossing the Mason Dixon Line

I live very, very close to the State of Delaware. I have a CCW for PA, but last time I checked, Delaware was not on the reciprocity list. I queried the Internet regarding carry in Delaware.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Delaware

Has anyone had any experience with open carry in Delaware? Open carry is not my preference, but if it is legal over concealed with my PA permit, that seems to be my best option (assuming panicked snowflakes don't call the cops on me). Examples of places I might carry include stores in The Christiana Mall, anywhere just south of the border because the roads just happen to crisscross the border, and the Brandywine area.

Matters are complicated by the fact that the Delaware-Pennsylvania border is a circular arc. It is rather unique.

Thanks.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Crossing the Masson Dixon Line

You can always get Florida, Utah,or Arizona non-res permit. I carry in Delaware on a Florida. Florida is a little easier to get (the training requirements are easier), but it's the most expensive. Utah/Arizona take a specific class, but are cheaper in the long run.

As for the Christiana Mall, I'm pretty sure they have a no gun policy (almost every mall does). I wouldn't try oc there. I've personally never noticed signage, but I don't go out of my way to look either. I generally carry concealed when I'm in Delaware, because we're heading to the beach for vacation, but the few times I've open carried it's gone without incident. Remember they have different laws and OC is prohibited in Dover and carry is illegal in state parks.

(York County)

Sorry, but here's a quick history lesson as I crap on your thread

The Mason Dixon line doesn't separate PA and DE, it separates PA from MD, and DE from MD. Technically the arc between PA and DE is known as the 12 Mile Circle (or arc), and predates the Mason Dixon by roughly 100 years. Here's a quick review from wiki on the arc:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve-Mile_Circle

And the Mason Dixon line:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason–Dixon_line

If you want to CCW you do need a permit from an alternate state with reciprocity as noted above. If you want to transport without a permit, I recall it has to be exposed on a seat. Open carry is acceptable except in a few special grandfathered towns like Dover. I've open carried in the southern end of the state without issue.
    Last edited by Jhaydeno; August 27th, 2018 at 07:32 AM.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

As R L Suehr said, get a Ltcf with reciprocity with Delaware. I live near the border and have been carrying with a Utah license. It takes one morning or afternoon of your time to complete, send in the paperwork to Utah, and 3 weeks or so later you are good. Renewal was a breeze.

Make sure that you are well versed on Delaware law, not everything is exactly the same as Pa law.

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    You can always get Florida, Utah,or Arizona non-res permit. I carry in Delaware on a Florida. Florida is a little easier to get (the training requirements are easier), but it's the most expensive. Utah/Arizona take a specific class, but are cheaper in the long run.

As for the Christiana Mall, I'm pretty sure they have a no gun policy (almost every mall does). I wouldn't try oc there. I've personally never noticed signage, but I don't go out of my way to look either. I generally carry concealed when I'm in Delaware, because we're heading to the beach for vacation, but the few times I've open carried it's gone without incident. Remember they have different laws and OC is prohibited in Dover and carry is illegal in state parks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    Sorry, but here's a quick history lesson as I crap on your thread

The Mason Dixon line doesn't separate PA and DE, it separates PA from MD, and DE from MD. Technically the arc between PA and DE is known as the 12 Mile Circle (or arc), and predates the Mason Dixon by roughly 100 years. Here's a quick review from wiki on the arc:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve-Mile_Circle

And the Mason Dixon line:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason–Dixon_line

If you want to CCW you do need a permit from an alternate state with reciprocity as noted above. If you want to transport without a permit, I recall it has to be exposed on a seat. Open carry is acceptable except in a few special grandfathered towns like Dover. I've open carried in the southern end of the state without issue.

Dover is good to go now. I don’t have time to cite particulars right now, but you can look them up in these threads.

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.ph...ighlight=Dover

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=308868

(Delaware County)

When riding my motorcycle, I'm not always clear if I'm in Delaware or Pennsylvania. Actually that is true in my car as well except for crossing the line on 202.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post

What is meant by a specific class? I already know how to shoot and I can build AR-15 style rifles from a stripped lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Fudmottin View Post
    When riding my motorcycle, I'm not always clear if I'm in Delaware or Pennsylvania. Actually that is true in my car as well except for crossing the line on 202.
    I use to love riding in the brandywine area. It always frustrated me that if I was on one side of an imaginary line concealed carrying I was an upstanding citizen, but a criminal if I accidentally crossed that imaginary line

Get an AZ permit. Cheap, easy, and relatively fast, about 6 weeks. You need to get printed, and have proof of any training, such as any hunter safety course, or NRA course.
    Renewing is cheap and no further printing or requirements needed.

(Forest County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Get an AZ permit. Cheap, easy, and relatively fast, about 6 weeks. You need to get printed, and have proof of any training, such as any hunter safety course, or NRA course.
    Renewing is cheap and no further printing or requirements needed.
    I agree with the above statement. Arizona permit is a breeze. And it is fast. Also if you are a veteran your military DD214 will suffice for the weapons training requirement.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast