Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Gun buyback shut down after 30 minutes

Too bad some police chiefs couldn't uphold a similar law in PA when they do the Illegal gun buy back all over PA every year.

http://www.southtownstar.com/news/11...uyback.article
    Gun buyback shut down after 30 minutes

Blue Island police shut down a "Turn in Your Gun Day" Saturday organized by a mayoral hopeful.

Tommy Brown, 38, offered $100 for every gun turned in from 9 a.m. to noon at the Redemption Theater, 12952 S. Western Ave.

Brown, who has lived in the city his entire life, said he's doing what he thinks is best.

"I'm doing what I feel is proactive to get the guns off the streets," Brown said. "Today we have taken nine guns off the streets of Blue Island."

John Castilla, a friend and business partner of Brown, said he helped raise $10,000 for the event. Castilla hoped to collect 100 guns.

However, Blue Island Police Chief Douglas Hoglund shut down the event just 30 minutes after it began. Hoglund said the building didn't have a business license and no one authorized by a law enforcement agency was there to take possession of the traded-in guns.

"Any transfer of firearms that doesn't go to a state agency is a Class 1 felony," Hoglund said.

Brown was warned beforehand by the city not to conduct the firearm trade-in event, but he went ahead anyway.

Hoglund said he's known Brown since he was a kid and understands what he's trying to do, but he doesn't completely agree.

"I agree with the premise of taking the guns off the streets," he said. "But I don't agree with the method."

Brown said the nine guns collected would have been taken to Springfield to be tested in a lab. However, Hoglund took the guns and said they eventually will be destroyed.

About 25 people attended the event to show their support for Brown, who hopes to unseat Mayor Donald Peloquin.

Rev. Rod Reinhart, of St. Joseph & St. Aidan's Episcopal Church in Blue Island, believes it's events like Brown's that help to keep the city safe.

"We're a city that has not had the same kind of terrible violence as Chicago, and that's because the citizens of Blue Island have taken a proactive stance to stop potential violence before it starts," he said.

Some believe the grass-roots event is just what the city needs.

"The reason why I support this gun turn-in program is because I'm aware of the gang violence in Blue Island, and any gun off the street is one gun that won't be used in crime. We owe it to ourselves, and we owe it to our children," Blue Island resident Kathy Kuehner said.

Ron Smith, 40, of Blue Island, said he supports Brown.

"We hope ... you go buy groceries or something (with the money)," Smith said.

Peloquin said for the past six months the city has been working with other local towns, police departments and the sheriff's police to organize a regional gun turn-in event similar to Brown's.
    Sure wish ALL of these people would worry as much about getting THE CRIMINALS off the streets rather than worrying about Inanimate objects.

I would have rather read that 9 repeat violent criminals where sentenced to long term jail incarceration, but that would mean that someone would have to really "do something" and I rather feel good about saying "I did something" for political gains to get my name in the paper, who cares if it doesn't work I can get elected for making everyone feeling good....

Gun Control does not equal CRIMINAL CONTROL

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: Gun buyback shut down after 30 minutes

"Any transfer of firearms that doesn't go to a state agency is a Class 1 felony," Hoglund said.
    "Brown was warned beforehand by the city not to conduct the firearm trade-in event, but he went ahead anyway.
    And why wasn't Tommy Brown arrested?
    Where did the firearms go?
    All that's right he a leftist and the laws don't apply to them.
    Just my 2¢
    Ed
    FeedBack: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...ight=edstephan
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3790&dateline=1331561  797An OathKeeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

(Berks County)

What I find utterly astounding is that this took place in a Chicago suburb. Illinois???? A CLEO who actually gets it???? Amazing!
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Montgomery County)

What it shows is it all for show. "And for our next performer will grace our stage with a gun buyback". If he really believed it would work he would have had the police there to take the guns as the law says. He only wanted to put on a show and be the star. Having the police involved would mean the police might take some of the glory.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by edstephan View Post
    good question.

since this is apparently a way to go about buying handguns without having endure all the 2nd amendment infringements that normally go along with buying a handgun, i think i'm gonna run one of these private buyback programs.

i'll "buy back" any gun anyone brings me for $100...as long as it is a glock--in working condition.

(Lehigh County)

If he is truly running for office he knew how it should have been conducted but chose not to follow those steps......... sounds like a publicity stunt to me. Just think of all the media attention he would have received had he been arrested. I can see it now "Candidate Arrested for Trying to Keep The Streets Safe!"
    ~De-Animating the undead since '08~

(Carbon County)

Hoglund said he's known Brown since he was a kid

Where did the firearms go?

Brown said the nine guns collected would have been taken to Springfield to be tested in a lab. However, Hoglund took the guns and said they eventually will be destroyed.

All that's right he a leftist and the laws don't apply to them.
    Just my 2¢
    Ed

The blue are quotes from the OP.

Jim
    If zombies start chasing us, I'm going to trip you!

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

That's incredible you can get away with a felony if you're running for mayor and know the chief of police.

Plus he was warned ahead of time not to do it, so that shows he knew he was breaking thE law. I guess he thinks the laws only apply to you or me, and not him.

So now, he commited a felony. I wonder if the chief of police will come to his house and take his deer rifle away?

gun turn in center? give me a friggin break. how about a "bad guy" turn in center? double the money and watch'em be dragged in....

Brown said the nine guns collected would have been taken to Springfield to be tested in a lab.

Tested for what? AIDS? Pregnancy? IQ?

I wonder if the people who turned them in knew that they were going to have their guns "tested". What if this lab said that a gun matches one used in a crime? Would they have gone after the person who turned it in?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast