Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default How Young Is Too Young?

I hope this thread is in the right place, sorry if it's not. After many discussions on here, it seems many members have kids, and I'm curious as to the general consensus. How young is too young to get your child(ren) out shooting? What has everyone else done? How old? What types of guns did you start with? Did you find any setbacks with possibly starting "too early"? Just curious, thanks all!

Default Re: How Young Is Too Young?

8-9 with the Red Ryder BB Gun and on up from there with archery and BB guns...and I turned out alright... .22 at about 16.
    The earlier the better.

(Philadelphia County)

I think the age soley depends on the child. Some children maybe mature enough at 6 where other not untill 12, then others well just never.

(York County)

i had my first bb gun in kindergarten, first .22 was in 1st grade, and i got a 870 20 ga. in fourth, but i dont know if that was normal, and not to sound like a ego filled ass, but i was hounded about safety from day one, and honestly i was capable of having the responsibility, some of my friends at the time were not,hell some still arent
    "Skin that'n pilgrim, and I'll git ya another"

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pierce8468 View Post
    I think the age soley depends on the child. Some children maybe mature enough at 6 where other not untill 12, then others well just never.
    I think that you are completely correct. Knighthawk and I, mainly him, are planning on getting his daughter started shooting soon, she's 7, and from what I've seen on here, it looks like we are getting a late start lol. She seems mature, rediculously intelligent and intuitive, but I'm just not sure. She's shot paintball, bb's, and my dad's .22LR when she was 5, and she's done very well. Safety is paramount for us with her before anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierce8468 View Post
    I agree, at 10 I was camping out alone with a Springfield Model 15. (grandma had 50 acres) my own little game preserve.

It depends on the kid and the maturity level.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Allegheny County)

I see all these specific, arbitrary ages mentioned in this thread so far - and I have to disagree with all of them.

The age to start your child shooting cannot be pinned down to a single number. Rather, it should be based on Two things.

1) Mental maturity - i.e. can he/she understand the safety rules and WHY they are needed? Can they remember them and keep their mind focused on what they are doing. while handling a dangerous weapon.

and 2) Physical Ability. Are they physically able to handle the weapon safely.

Only you as a parent can tell if your child is ready based on these factors. No arbitrary age is a "magical" one that will suddenly give your child the ability to handle a firearm.

(Chester County)

I took my sons to the range when they were 3 and 4, just to get them used to the noise, etc. I would stand back with them by the truck. After a few trips like that, I gradually moved closer. They started shooting the .22 not long after that. Now when we go its like they've grown up there. I see adults flinch at the sound of gunfire that my kids don't bat an eyelash at. Its just like playing ball, gotta start them early.

(Philadelphia County)

Of course saftey is #1 when it comes to guns stink. If you feel she is mature enough to handle the firearm, let her pick one out get it for her. then begin with the safety course from you and Knighthawk. Dont let her go to the range and shoot it until she has passed your safety course.

My daughter was not allowed to even touch a bullet. untill she could safely release the cocked hammer 50 times in a row with out letting it fall once. when she did release it too quicky and allow it to fall. I said you just killed somebody. it may sound harsh to tell an 11 yr old child that, but it instilled in her the dangers of firearms.

(Chester County)

It's been discussed before, you might find some useful posts in these threads as well.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/question-...-what-age.html

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/question-...guns-kids.html
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast