Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Two questions

(Westmoreland County)

Default Two questions

Two quick questions.

A friend from out of state is coming here and we are going on a few day geocaching trip together in DE / Philly / and NH, places where we have family.

1. He has a VA resident and FL non resident CCW, though he prefers to OC. Question - Philly requires a license to OC, is that a PA license only or will a license from a reciprocal state work too?

2. When traveling between DE and NH, we will be going through NJ. I understand that you can travel through states that don't recognize your permit as long as your weapon is in the trunk unloaded and ammo separate.

However I also understand NJ has a ban on hollowpoint ammunition, so would it even be ok to transport JHP ammo for both our weapons through the state?

Thanks for any help

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Two questions

1. his VA and FL license will be good in Philly. Philly doesn't and cant require the license to OC, but rather state law requires a license in a City of the First Class. Since state law allows for reciprocal coverage, that license is as good as any PA license.

2. federal law protects interstate transporting so long as it is unloaded, in a secure enclosure, ammo stored separately, and the firearm is located in the trunk. If the vehicle lacks a trunk, then it must go in the most remote/inaccessible place in the vehicle. Keep in mind that your trip should be rather direct, stops for fuel/food/bathroom/breakdowns/repairs are generally covered, and other break from the beaten path might not be protected. Keep in mind too that NY state, especially NY city, sometimes doesn't adhere to federal law.
    Last edited by knight0334; September 29th, 2008 at 06:50 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Westmoreland County)

I understand the Peaceable Journey Law, I was asking if this applied to transporting hollow points through NJ.

18 USC Sec. 926A only mentions ammo in relation to it being separated. So what I was really wondering is if this would cover carrying a specific type of ammo (JHP's) as well under the definition of "firearms".

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJL View Post
    I understand the Peaceable Journey Law, I was asking if this applied to transporting hollow points through NJ.

18 USC Sec. 926A only mentions ammo in relation to it being separated. So what I was really wondering is if this would cover carrying a specific type of ammo (JHP's) as well under the definition of "firearms".
    So long as the hollowpoints aren't loaded into a gun you'll be legal. Despite the popular belief, hollowpoints are not illegal in New Jersey to possess for home defense or hunting, nor is it illegal to transport them to places where you can lawfully use them. They are illegal to carry in a gun outside your home or when not hunting, that applies to those with the rare NJ carry permit too.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

I'm not so sure about that. NJ state law prohibits residents from transporting hollow points from anywhere other than to their home from the store where they bought them. I read the laws a while ago but I got the impression that I was not allowed to transport hollow points through NJ. Having gone to a couple of shops and being offered discount ammunition I have always said "Well, thats a good deal but I would have to transport through NJ," everyone seems to understand that this is a no-no. I would read the law yourself, but as I understand and practice it, no hollow points in NJ and thats that.

(Jefferson County)

Here is NJ's law and state police opinion on it.

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/njsp/about/fire_hollow.html

edit: and the NJ firearms transportation

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/njsp/about/fire_trans.html
    Last edited by knight0334; September 29th, 2008 at 07:42 PM.

so one must have a hunting license for their destination to transport it through NJ? Personal protection is not a valid reason. Who hunts with a handgun only?