Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default M&P 45 - removable thumb safety?

Hey M&P guys - is the thumb safety removable? I found one article online that said it was, and that S&W provides fillers to cover the remaining holes in the frame. I have a line on an M&P, but it has the safety and I don't really want that. But if it is an easy change, it might be nice to have the option.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: M&P 45 - removable thumb safety?

Quote Originally Posted by toml View Post
    Hey M&P guys - is the thumb safety removable? I found one article online that said it was, and that S&W provides fillers to cover the remaining holes in the frame. I have a line on an M&P, but it has the safety and I don't really want that. But if it is an easy change, it might be nice to have the option.
    I believe it is. I read somewhere it is removable, and reversible but I am not 100% sure on this.

Even if it isn't, the M&P is a great gun, and you don't have to use the safety if you don't want to.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post
    Even if it isn't, the M&P is a great gun, and you don't have to use the safety if you don't want to.
    True - I'd just prefer not to have the extra 'clutter' if I have the option. The page I found said it was just a matter of driving out the two roll pins that hold the action, and removing the action from the frame. The safety then just pops out. It apparently just blocks the trigger bar.

I may call S&W tomorrow to ask them and inquire about availability of the 'fillers'.

(Montgomery County)

Called S&W. I asked if the thumb safety was removable. The guy said "no". That may be a 'product liability' type response I suppose.

Interestingly I had heard from a dealer that night sights are now an LE-only option and he can't order M&Ps with them from S&W. I find that hard to believe. When I asked the S&W rep about that, he didn't directly reply, but instead said he didn't think they offered night sights on any M&P models any more - or it most only one. ??? I think there must be some confusion here. I was at work so I didn't really have time to pursue it further.