Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default Starting to reload - what's needed?

Seriously starting thinking about reloading. I know I'll need dies, brass, powder, primers, bullets, and some kind of press.

Can you guys just list everything I need to get started? To start, I'd probably be doing this at my computer desk, so stuff that is portable would be good.

Any suggestions on which equipment to buy?

I'll be reloading mostly handgun ammo - 9mm, .380, .45 - and maybe .303 British. I'm planning on getting some other guns too, so I may end up reloading those as well.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Starting to reload - what's needed?

Look at one of those all-in-one kits. They run anywhere from $200 to $300 depending on what you get in them.

Either way, get a single stage press. Yeah, eventually you will want to go to a progressive for pistol ammo, but a single stage press will get you started. Plus, with a single stage press, you concentrate on a single operation at 1 time. Once you have your single stage mastered, then look at a progressive. As for what brand, let the color wars begin.... I like Green (Redding and RCBS)

Die threads are standard, so no problems there. What you do want is a closed frame press. The RCBS RockChucker, Redding Boss, and Lee Challenger are examples of a closed frame press. A closed frame press will also last longer.

BOOKS - get some! Get a copy of the Lyman #48. It has a complete section in the front that gives step-by-step instructions from picking up your spent brass to shooting your reloads. They also have a very comprehensive data section in the back for pistols and rifles. You can't go wrong. Many other manuals are available for free from powder or bullet maker web sites.

If you want portable, go to Harbor Freight and get yourself a couple of "C" clamps. Mount your press to a piece of 3/4" plywood and clamp the plywood to your bench when you plan to load. Make sure that your bench is sturdy - especially when resizing that .303 brass. This also makes it nice to take to the range if you want to do load development right there at the shooting bench.

Speaking of resizing rifle brass, get the RCBS case lube kit for your 303 brass. You and your dies will thank me.

As for dies, where possible, get the LEE pistol and rifle dies with the factory crimp. It's an extra step, but it is well worth it.

I think I got everything....
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Allegheny County)

Koli's back from Ambler.

(Pike County)

I would first do a lot of reading. There are many good books on reloading. Also look at some of the reloading forums. The best way is talk to some one who reloads to get the basics.

(Luzerne County)

I aslo suggest you read up on the subject. Try the abc's of reloading. I have the rcbs pro 2000. Here is a youtube clip of a demo.

troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Okay, all you RCBS guys, how about a word from a Lee guy? (the red stuff)
    I started handloading very cheaply with a Lee hand press, and started doing 45/70 right away, as I needed black powder loads for competition, which could not be bought.
    I also loaded 30-30, and 9mm, and 45ACP with it before upgrading to a Lee 3 hole turret press, which I have been using with no complaints for 15 years.
    The hand press is inexspensive (less than $30) and will handle any load you want, other than forming cases.
    Like the single stage press though, the dies need to be changed between stages of reloading.
    I went to the turret press (not a progressive loader) so that I could set all the dies needed per handload in the turret, and just change the turret when I wanted to reload another size cartridge. This takes all of 30 seconds.
    The turrets mount in a sturdy fixed loader, and will full length size even the strongest magnum cases.
    I first mounted mine on a wooden 3 step ladder, so that I could fold it up and put it away when I was finished for the day, and also transport it to a range if needed. it worked great that way, I even made a sleeve from an old pair of blue jeans leg, and use it as a covering to this day, even though I have bench mounted my press now.
    I have stayed with the 3-hole press since I have numerous turrets already, but, if the 4 hole had been available back then, who knows?
    midsouthshooters.com has the hand press cataloged for $23.87, and the 3 hole turret press for $63.45, the 4 hole turret for $64.84.
    These are just the press only.
    I have found them to be the most reasonable for Lee dies also, with just about all listing for less than $25.00 a set.
    They also have deals on reloading kit packages. Check them out.
    Also, midwayusa.com has good deals on reloading stuff.
    You'll find , though, that reloaders tend to be like Chevy and Ford people, we each have our reasons for prefering what we prefer.
    Just take your time, and enjoy adventure.
    It is quite addictive though, once you get started, and great quality time if you have a son or daughter that takes interest in such things also.

(Allegheny County)

I just recently started loading. I purchased the Lee 4 hole turret press. So far I have reloaded approx 750 .45 rounds without incident. I think my press cost 85.00 or somewhere around there when it was on sale at midway. I liked the idea of the turret press for the same reason previously mentioned. I can buy a new plate and not have to change dies when I start reloading 38 and 357 rounds in the near future.

(Perry County)

What bullets should I get for reloading 9mm? I see there are 355 diameter and 356 diameter. How would I find out the kind that I need?
    How does bullet grain fit into all this?

Also, how do I find out what kind of primers and powder I need?

My uncle reloads so I am going to get with him, but I'd like to have the components ready when I do get with him to learn.

(Allegheny County)

For the 9mm most jacketed bullets are .355. With cast lead bullets .356 is OK. You will need Small Pistol Primers (standard, not magnum). There are literally dozens of powders that will work in the nine....and twice as many more that AREN'T suitable...you'll have to do a little research on that one....look in a loading manual.

115--125 are the most common bullet weights used in the nine. Just make sure to get the right powder charge for the bullet weight you are using.
    There are three kinds of people in this world....them what's good at math and them what ain't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast