Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default inexpensive o/u shotgun

My son (14) and I shoot clays every other wed. I bought him a cheap single shot 12g and I’d like to buy him an o/u for Christmas. The problem is all the ones I see are $600+. Can anyone suggest an under $500 o/u for clays? I don't really want to get him a pump because I feel more comfortable seeing the gun broke open to verify the chamber is empty.

Thanks

(Bucks County)

Default Re: inexpensive o/u shotgun

A over under shotgun is essentially TWO guns, and require significant effort in manufacture to assure they are "regulated" to shoot to the same point.

Most are over 1200 to start.

I've seen some "off brand" O/U for in the 5-700 range.

In fact, I have a Silma 20g that we could deal for if youa re interested.

Unfortunately, the Silma were imported by legacy arms, and do not appear to be supported in US at this time (at least as late as last year when I tried to buy some different choke tubes)

P

(Jefferson County)

Theres a few out there. Stoeger makes some reasonably priced O/U's. They aren't as nice as a Ruger Redlabel or some English shotty, but will work just fine for skeet/clays, and upland game.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for the info guys.

Pacer, thanks for the offer but for now i'd like to find him a 12g---that way i don't need to buy yet another cal. of ammo.

Has anyone heard anything good or bad about these mossy imports? They look nice---and they range in price from 469-525 on GB.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=110811657

(Philadelphia County)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=111035479
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=111523827
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=111314858

here are a few to get you started. I noticed these EAA guns years ago at a local dealer, they seem to be of decent quality manufacture, and affordable.
    I think EAA is a lot like Charles Daly: they contract other arms plants to make models for them (or copies of popular models thus renamed) and sell them as EAA.
    Good luck, and search the classifieds here, too.
    I picked up a nice italian o/u here for under 6 bills (very similar to the beretta 686 series of black onyx shotties). It is a Charles Daly Field Hunter, and quite a nice example, too. Deals abound!
    WhiteFeather: building a mall with a parking lot kills everything better than hunting ever does

I have a Stoeger Condor Supreme 12 ga. I have several thousands round through it from shooting trap. I have found with this gun after about 700 hundred rounds it needs a real good cleaning. I mean take the stock off and clean it real good, Also about that time the screw that holds the stock on starts to loosen up. I put some blue locktite on it ant that stopped that problem. I just checked the Stoeger site and MSP start at 370. If you look you can find some real nice wood on them. Out of the box they need a good cleaning, the stuff they coat them with for shipping is like cosmoline and needs to come off.

Grizz
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Dauphin County)

+1 for Stoeger Condor...A old skeet shooting buddy of mine used to have one and it never failed him...I think he is still shooting it today 5 years later....good gun. Dosent Benelli or Franchi own stoeger?

(Erie County)

CZ Mallard

Spartan O/U by Remington.

One thing I've noticed about the less expensive O/U is they tend to be heavier than some of the more expensive models.
    "When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can become deadly projectiles." - Unknown.

I picked up a remington spartan as my first O/U about 4yrs ago, and I have no complaints at all. It feels better to me than half of the higher priced ones, and I can hit just as much with it as with my red label.

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    My son (14) and I shoot clays every other wed. I bought him a cheap single shot 12g and I’d like to buy him an o/u for Christmas. The problem is all the ones I see are $600+. Can anyone suggest an under $500 o/u for clays? I don't really want to get him a pump because I feel more comfortable seeing the gun broke open to verify the chamber is empty.

Thanks
    have you looked into the spartan 310 shotguns? they are imported by remington. i picked up one at a local gunshop, including tax, it was $486. it also came with the original box and 6 extra chokes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast