Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Dangerous ammo batch?

Hey guys,
    I have been shooting for a few years but am very new to rifles. I was practicing the stripper clip load on my new SKS. On the very first cycle, I let the bolt slam shut, then manually cycled the action to eject the cartridge. The bullet had been pushed almost completely back, and was fairly tighly wedged into, the brass. I rechecked the barrel for obstructions and found none, then repeated the manual cycle slowly at first, then full speed, to observe the chambering. I repeated 50 times with and never had another round even look scratched, let alone pushed in like the first. The ammo is bulk Sellier and Beloit 7.62x39 FMJ. My questions is how concerned I should be with this batch of ammo? And what would has happened had I actually fired the deformed round? Thanks in advance for any help!
    "Things have taken a turn for the surreal." - Capt. John Miller

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Dangerous ammo batch?

I'll take a guess that the round was not sitting properly in the mag. Then when you slammed the bolt home, the round jammed outside the chamber but somehow still managed to chamber. You DO NOT want to shoot the round with the bullet pushed back. It will create an over pressure situation.

If you hand cycled 50+ rounds and nothing happend, you should be good. Again, the round probably got stuck on something (because it wasn't seated in the mag properly) causing the bullet to get pushed back.

EDIT---did you slam the bolt home again when you reloaded the other 5 stripper clips and hand cycled them?
    Last edited by Guns4Fun; September 27th, 2008 at 08:40 PM.

(Delaware County)

Thanks for the info! As farcas the other rounds go, I cycled them all the same as the first. Loaded the stripper, pulled the bolt back, and released it. It could very well be that the round didn't seat properly. Not only was it the first stripper I loaded into that gun, it was the first I had loaded EVER. Its just a little unnerving that the round fully chambered. Had I been at the range, there would have been no way to know and I would have fired!

(Northampton County)

Take a number of rounds of the ammo and push it against a table or something and see if there is severe setback. Don't push with your weight, but half your arm strength (maybe 30 pounds or less or force). If I got severe setback I would not shoot it. Then again, I have little experience with 7.62x39 so not sure what to expect.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by SigMan1980 View Post
    Thanks for the info! As farcas the other rounds go, I cycled them all the same as the first. Loaded the stripper, pulled the bolt back, and released it. It could very well be that the round didn't seat properly. Not only was it the first stripper I loaded into that gun, it was the first I had loaded EVER. Its just a little unnerving that the round fully chambered. Had I been at the range, there would have been no way to know and I would have fired!

I don't mean to be critical but practicing loading with live ammo---not at a range is kinda scary. Some sks's have been know to slam fire. meaning they fire when the bolt is slammed closed even with your finger off the trigger.

Now, maybe you were practicing loading in a safe environment---you didn't say. But I would not practice loading in your living room with live ammo.

I'm sorry in advance if you were in a safe surrounding---practicing.

I'm also glad you didn't pull the trigger on that round---an sks is a pretty tough gun but you never know how much over pressure it could handle.

(Delaware County)

Thanks for the info guys. I pushed a few boxes of the ammo against the table with no setback at all, so hopefully I'm OK. I have 1K rounds of this stuff so it better be OK!

Guns4fun, no need to apologize and thank you for the advice! I was in fact doing this in my basement, muzzle in a safe direction but very stupid none the less. I had not heard about the SKS slamfire issue. First thing I did was strip the rifle and make sure the firing pin was loose and plenty of give, but still not a good idea. I guess I figured it was the same as releasing the slide on my pistol to chamber a round, as I do with my pistol. Now I know, thats why I love this site! Thanks again.

(Lebanon County)

This has been brought up in other threads, but the slam fire issue is primarily due to crud or cosmoline in the firing pin channel. The firing pin is free floating, no spring to hold it back. If cleaned properly, the pin will rattle back and forth when you shake the bolt. If you want a permanent cure check out Murrays Gunsmithing. He makes a firing pin with spring, and modifies your bolt to fit. I have a few SKS rifles, and have had no problem, just keep the bolt clean. That doesn't mean a slam fire can't happen, just keep that thought in the back of your head when at the range.
    Last edited by nijwnfi; September 27th, 2008 at 09:36 PM.