Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default Some Help with a 1911 please

I'm fairly new to troubleshooting and repairing 1911's so I need some help. I know that this is the premier site for 1911 info so I hope you guys and gals can help.

I was given a Colt MK IV Series 80 Government Model s/n FG18xxx to fix. The owner said it was failing to eject correctly, either not completely or stovepiping every 2nd or 3rd shot. This is what the ejector that was installed looked like:

I replaced the ejector with a Wilson Combat #34 (Extended Combat Ejector 45 ACP, Government/Gold Cup)

It now ejects better, tossing the cases over my right shoulder about 5 feet behind and to my right. However, some of the cases look really bad and some are dented more than what I would expect.

The first mag fired was 7 rounds of 230 FMJ WWB. The second and third mags were reloads (200 gr LSWC, 4.4 gr of Solo1000, WLP primer, should have been about 850 fps). Here is what the first 5 rounds looked like (top 5). The rest of the mag and the 3rd mag (also reloads) looked like the bottom 5 as did the factory ammo.

IIRC the 5 that look the worst popped just over my head and straight back.

Here are some pics of the gun, these were taken when I got home, before any cleaning was done.

I would like to get anyones thoughts on what might have happened.

Thanks for the assist.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Some Help with a 1911 please

Hmmm... kinda looks to me like an increased length in the ejector may require a lighter recoil spring. Bear with me, if the thing is timed off the length of the original ejector, and the new one is longer, then the original spring would feed quicker than the ejector can clear the chamber correctly. Hence, the round rounds would smash off the top of the slide, as it looks to me they are doing. This smashing would seem to toss rounds nearly straight back, as it sounds as if it's doing. I'm just operating on some logical assumptions from my limited knowledge of 1911 design and observation of what you've posted.

(Allegheny County)

Replace the extractor. Take the gun all the way down, pull out the firing pin stop. Make sure you're careful because its easy to shoot the firing pin across the room. Once thats out, you can pull the extractor out. Take a Q-Tip with some Hoppes 9 solvent and CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN that area after the extractor is out. You may need to tune the extractor, though. If you need anymore info, checkout the m1911.org. Those guys know 1911's inside and out.

Hope it helps!

(Centre County)

Yep, conversed with the folks on M1911. Turns out the new ejector was a tad bit long for that gun so the timing of the ejection was off. Shortened it up a bit and did another slight modification that was suggested and it works perfectly now, just a very light or no dent in the case mouth.

Thanks for the replies.

(Allegheny County)

Glad that paid off for you. What did you use to shorten it? What was the other modification?

(Centre County)

Jared, I just used my Dremel to grind off about a 16th and then made the sharp upper corner a very small 45 degree angle. Reblued it, reinstalled and tested. It tossed the empties over my right shoulder, out about 2 feet and behind me about 3-4 feet. This was with WWB 230 gr.