Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Bank Robbery Where My Parents Live

Well I have had several family members ask why I carry all the time and the need to carry at the elderly community where my parents live. My response is always you never know when you may need it, point proven:

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-...,5489929.story

My mother has always been against guns but has now said if it were not for there dog she would now consider buying one for defense. But at the same time requested I no longer OC there? Which she will be able to live with when I still do.

Text size:
    Bank robbed, police arrest 3

Car chase: Pursuit goes from Whitehall into Allentown.

By Tracy Jordan |Of The Morning Call September 27, 2008 Three bank robbery suspects are in custody after a chase that started in Whitehall Township and ended in downtown Allentown Friday morning, authorities said.

The armed robbery took place at a KNBT bank branch that is open only on Fridays to employees and residents of a Whitehall retirement home, Fellowship Community at 3000 Fellowship Drive, a bank official said.

Police charged Curtis Aranez Whitehurst, 24, of 625 N. Fifth St., Allentown; DeWayne Cespedes, 28, of St. Petersburg, Fla.; and Michael Grant, of Detroit with robbery, theft and related offenses. Cespedes and Grant also face firearms charges. All three men were arraigned before District Judge David Harding in Coopersburg and sent to Lehigh County Prison under $500,000 bail.

Whitehall Police Chief Ted Kohuth said the bank robbery was reported at 10:08 a.m. He said that when patrol units arrived, they saw a vehicle with men fitting the description of the robbers. The vehicle fled and police units gave chase, he said.

Related links

As the driver attempted to lose police, two men got out of the vehicle and attempted to flee on foot, but Whitehall officers and a K-9 unit chased them. They were arrested near Orchard Road between First and Sixth streets, Kohuth said.

While those men fled police, the getaway vehicle continued into Allentown, he said.

According to the Lehigh County Communications Center, township police continued pursuing the vehicle on Grape Street and south on Third Street toward Allentown. City police met them at the border, pursuing the vehicle onto various streets and alleys -- sometimes going the wrong way on one-way streets.

Kohuth said the chase ended in Allentown when the vehicle crashed and the driver tried to flee on foot but was captured a short time later. The crash happened at N. Fifth and Green streets, about a block north of Tilghman Street.

The chase brought dozens of people out of their homes and businesses to watch the activity, which included a vehicle crash at N. Fifth St. An unmarked city police car was involved in the accident. No injuries were reported.

According to police radio reports and several witnesses, police also recovered money in an alley near the accident.

Officers cordoned off about two blocks with yellow crime scene tape as they searched for evidence and possibly additional money.

Kohuth said several police agencies assisted in the search for the suspects.

''We were very thankful we had no injuries. In fact, there were no residents anywhere near the bank at the time,'' Fellowship Community President and CEO Robert Zentz said. ''From what I've seen, the staff all reacted very, very professionally and were very helpful to the police in doing their work.''

Zentz said the branch is not advertised or open to the public and is open just one day a week.

tracy.jordan@mcall.com

610-820-6564

Reporters Manuel Gamiz Jr. and Scott Kraus contributed to this story
    Last edited by Fraggle09027; September 27th, 2008 at 10:30 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Bank Robbery Where My Parents Live

I guess it just goes to show---you never know when something bad is going to happen.

I find it funny when things go bad and people are interviewed, that they say how things like this never happen in my town. Never say never and always be prepared for the worst.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    I guess it just goes to show---you never know when something bad is going to happen.

I find it funny when things go bad and people are interviewed, that they say how things like this never happen in my town. Never say never and always be prepared for the worst.
    That was my point

and the need to carry at the elderly community
    I like that my mother is interested in defending herself now. The only downside (other then the bank getting robbed) is she is frowning on me OC'ing there now (Gun out of sight, out of mind).

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

There was a series of robberies in Shrewsbury and surrounding towns last dec, had a bunch of the locals all shaken up. Banks were also robbed including the one I go to, and they had a security guy and cops parking in their lot for a while and even had to unlock the door to let people in for a short bit. The security guy was a hoot, he looked like he was 90 and ready to keel over.

The ladies who work at the Goodwill store , and pet store a few doors down, were all scared after someone robbed the Chinese place in the same shopping center.

The other day the Goodwill ladies and some other people who work over at the center were talking about some guy who was in the parking lot in a red truck, watching people with binoculars, and when the Goodwill ladies closed up for the night one night, the strange man left right after they did. The cops were all over the place on monday.

ANYTHING can happen anywhere, bet they would all be glad if I'm there and some robber comes in and wants to do more than just take the money and run out.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Berks County)

Anything can happen. In this case the drove off and were arrested a short time later. They could have just as easily broke down the door to one of the homes there and we would have had a hostage situation then. Thats why I strongly push for my parents to buy a home defense tool. Bang, hostage situation over.

and if the economy continues to tank, and a real recession takes hold, this type of 'involuntary wealth redistribution' is going to be on the rise......

(Delaware County)

The expression I use with my wife about my concealed carry is that in a bad situation

"I never get to pick the time or place".

After 25 or 30 times hearing that and then 2 real episodes of places I just left or that we just left being the news for robbery/assault she now does not complain, even when asked to put a reload in her purse.

Good luck,
    chalmitch
    "If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007